Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angry Boss

Options
  • 06-01-2014 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm working in an office now for 3 years.
    I started on a wpp1 scheme, and then I became self employed, but they've kept me in work, as a freelance/contract worker.

The guy I work for (the boss) is an ok fella, when his wife (head of accounts) isn't there. He gets angry over tiny things though, and swears at the staff, slams doors, punches walls etc. He made me cry twice in one day before we finished for Christmas.

Before Christmas, we were all told we were getting 2weeks holidays, which was great, only I was asked to go back a day early, as I "owed" it to them. Now, I was off sick a day in October, and when I asked them to take it out of my holidays, they said that I was self employed, and that I wasn't entitled to holidays, and deducted it from my pay. Double standards??

As last Friday was my 1st day back, I went in, got on about my work, and got sworn at twice, before it was even lunch time.

I adore my co-workers, and only for them, I would have left a long time ago.

The money isn't great, I get a cheque for €300 for 5days (9am-5.30pm).

I really, really need out, dont I.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What makes you think that you are self-employed? What other customers do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

What age are you? Assuming your tax has been paid, you are getting roughly 307EUR a week for 40 hours work, which is 7.67/hour i.e. below minimum wage (below minimum wage for a 20 year old even). Do you get a payslip? Is your tax listed on it? Does it state the number of hours you work? Do you have a contract that states these things?

I don't think you can be considered self employed if you have not set yourself up as a sole trader to contract your services to the company. Otherwise you are a standard fixed term contract employee whose holidays should reflect those of permanent staff. What your contract says is vital here, as a number of things don't seem right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Have you been managing your own tax affairs, or using an accountant/service to do it? Because it sounds like the company you work with haven't.

And whatever about anything else, being in a position where your tax isn't being handled correctly is bad news. If you're let go you will have a ton of trouble claiming welfare, and you could end up having to repay loads of back tax, plus fines and penalties, to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭billcullen1

Hi guys.

I'm working in an office now for 3 years.
    I started on a wpp1 scheme, and then I became self employed, but they've kept me in work, as a freelance/contract worker.

The guy I work for (the boss) is an ok fella, when his wife (head of accounts) isn't there. He gets angry over tiny things though, and swears at the staff, slams doors, punches walls etc. He made me cry twice in one day before we finished for Christmas.

Before Christmas, we were all told we were getting 2weeks holidays, which was great, only I was asked to go back a day early, as I "owed" it to them. Now, I was off sick a day in October, and when I asked them to take it out of my holidays, they said that I was self employed, and that I wasn't entitled to holidays, and deducted it from my pay. Double standards??

As last Friday was my 1st day back, I went in, got on about my work, and got sworn at twice, before it was even lunch time.

I adore my co-workers, and only for them, I would have left a long time ago.

The money isn't great, I get a cheque for €300 for 5days (9am-5.30pm).

I really, really need out, dont I.....

Use reverse psychology ! and start looking..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"What your contract says is vital here, as a number of things don't seem right."

What contract?!?.... :-/

I'm registered for tax - posted the guys in limerick a cheque back weeks ago, so Im ok that way, & I have other customers, just not as many as I would like to have.

I guess I just needed to type it all out to realize how stupid it all is. Notice typed, will email Friday, I'll give them 2weeks, just to be nice.

I feel cornered & pressured in there all the time & I guess its time to cut my losses & get the hell out of there. A job where I'm respected & treated well would be nice. (the cheap A$$holes don't even turn the heating for us!!)

Thanks for your feedback, feel free to close & delete this thread.x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Okay, so you are properly self employed, but there should still be some agreement in force, something signed that says you get x amount for y work. But you've already decided to leave so it doesn't really matter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya .. i would be tempted to move this to Entrepreneurship and Business Management, as I'm thinking that the OP could do with some assistance in contract management and dealing with difficult clients. But they don't allow anon-posting, so that's not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

If you are self employed you do not have to put up with his bad behaviour. When he shouts or swears in future just hold up your hands and tell him it is not acceptable. What can he do - shout more and then you walk away and when he has calmed down say it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

The guy I work for (the boss) is an ok fella...

This is the bit that baffles me. Everything you've said after that clearly shows he is not.

A couple of things...

You're self employed so you'll not get social welfare, at least not for 9 weeks.

You don't say what you are doing, but assuming you get 1 hour unpaid lunch per day you are getting €8 per hour.

If you have no contract and are self employed you don't need to give notice. But, keep in mind you might need a reference and/or pick up your last pay check.

Hopefully you can use the experience you've learned working this job and transfer into a role where you are more appreciated.

Good luck

Advertisement