Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To make a game as a non-programmer

• 06-01-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey,

just thinking aloud. I've always been very into gaming and I've a very creative mind. Ever since I can remember I've fantasised about making games, or just thought about what would have made whatever game I'm currently playing into a better one, but I've never explored programming beyond making the most basic mods and tweaks to games like Red Alert 1 & 2 (using TibEd) or more recently getting into the Xcom:EW game files and making tweaks.

Where my talents lie are more in conceptualising but of relevance to a game project specifically my abilities comprise: writing (creative), vision/concept (while keeping it as simple as possible), music (guitar player but getting into Ableton etc with a 1yr sound Engineering cert on me) and with experience in business administration/basic accounts/tax compliance.

So obviously I'm someone with none of the necessary core skills to make a game of any type, but I've plenty of the peripheral skills required for a team project. I decided last year at a career crossroads that I wouldn't retrain and start programming from scratch but if I ever got into game creation it would be primarily as a writer. Maybe people making a game based on a fertile fiction that I create.

Tell me I'm dreamin' if I am, but if you think someone like me could ever make a game with a team, I'd love to hear someone say so or give me a little push in the right direction, even if you're not personally interested in taking up a project with me.

Thanks all
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Only one way to know and that's to put your work out there and see what comes back.
    From looking at Indie devs in Ireland, I can tell you there are not many talented story writers for games and that it's an under valued skill.

I am always looking out for talented developers in many areas for future collaboration.
    With small start ups though, it is hard for them to justify to themselves to take someone that is just a writer.
    But if you can continue your writing and start to focus on another needed skill, there is a chance with a good portfolio and a bit of social networking you can get into a start up.
    But..it is no holiday at all. lots of hard work, long hours, little or no pay.
    Thats the indie start up scene unless they get a decent investment.

Bigger companies I cannot say.
    I think Digit were looking for a community manager and assistant quite recently, so maybe there are areas like this that can open up in the future.

Also from going through some college I can tell you that some people are going to do well because they are very talented and others just aren't cut out for it.
    My advice as someone in your position roughly a year ago, is to either get onto a course to get a taste of development and industry contacts. Or if thats not an option, start making a portfolio and use sites like facebook and LinkedIn to make connections.

Last of all, I also had a feeling I would be good at this work.
    At the same time I was very unsure I could do the programming.
    Ended up the instructor for that class put my name down as programmer for a group project and I was forced to spend the next 3 week coding a 2D game from scratch..
    Best thing I could have done, showed me not to doubt myself and just try.
    The game turned out awesome for a complete newb, got 2nd place haha
    You only live once ;)

oh one last thing, I might be able to get you in contact with an instructor I had for story and narrative in college. He is a developer and teaches writing for games. Really awesome guy and a great teacher.
    But I will first ask if he doesn't mind me passing him some up and coming/hopefull writers for games.. I think he would like to hear more people considering that though. So will get back to you if you are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you are willing to put the work in to other aspects of game development other than programming, then there is no reason you couldn't pair up with a coder somewhere along the line. I know artists have always been difficult for me to source when I needed them for various projects. Writing alone is a tough one though.

Reminds me of this thread from the forums earlier days, in particular, the slide satchmo posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Well i have zero programming experience and with software like unity it is possible just takes a bit of study, trial and error and a small cash injection for some of the plug in's that can cut out having to learn how to code for the most part.

But the problem you might face is that most people that get into game dev on the creative side come from a background where you learn to write your own story's and scripts etc. They might have a general idea at the very early stage of the game before anything is made and would be looking for a writer to fill out the concept, and most likely working on their idea's but then once that is done you would pretty much be finished on the project, because thats the one thing that is usually done and dusted pre production.

Unless you just put it out there that you have a this idea, give an synopsis of it maybe see if anyone would be interested in working on it with you, your other skills would definitely help, maybe set up a portfolio of your mods, a sound scape from sound engineering these things will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Well i have zero programming experience and with software like unity it is possible just takes a bit of study, trial and error and a small cash injection for some of the plug in's that can cut out having to learn how to code for the most part.

But the problem you might face is that most people that get into game dev on the creative side come from a background where you learn to write your own story's and scripts etc. They might have a general idea at the very early stage of the game before anything is made and would be looking for a writer to fill out the concept, and most likely working on their idea's but then once that is done you would pretty much be finished on the project, because thats the one thing that is usually done and dusted pre production.

Unless you just put it out there that you have a this idea, give an synopsis of it maybe see if anyone would be interested in working on it with you, your other skills would definitely help, maybe set up a portfolio of your mods, a sound scape from sound engineering these things will help.

If someone has absolutely no programming experience I think I'd push them towards GameMaker first, as it would be less intimidating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Gamemaker is easier once you get the hang of it. Personally I found it more difficult than Unity to get used to.
    Unity is also quite easy to learn. Suprisingly easy compared to it's 3D counterparts.
    You can teach yourself some basic programmming in a few weeks IF the motivation is there to learn.
    I am slightly dyslexic and have a hard time with numbers, but can do a fair bit just using tutorials to pick up the syntax.
    With programming the skills are general problem solving. Anyone can learn the language I am sure.Might take some longer, but if I can code then most people could too.
    The motivation really has to be there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

From someone who never wrote a line of code till the (relatively) ripe old age of 30, I wouldn't rule out learning how to program. It really isn't the bugbear a lot of people make it out to be, but as Torax said, you need to be motivated.

There are a lot of programming H.Dips available around the country, which you can learn the basics over the course of a year or 2. There are also FAS courses, and some excellent youtube tutorials, all of which will give you a grounding.

Adding programming to your existing skills of music, writing, and business would put you in a really strong position to make a game. The only other skill you would need is the ability to create artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

I'm at a very similar stage to yourself.

I've come to the conclusion that none of the people in games that I look up to got where they are they daydreaming or talking about it like I've been doing!

I'm building a prototype of a modest idea at the moment, as a way of learning how it works. So I'm starting off with blocks moving around, as placeholders for the player and enemies, and if I think it's fun, I can do another pass where I add some sort of models or otherwise give it some character.
    I'm using Unity, it has great documentation and there's a really good Q and A site where most questions have been answered already, especially for a beginner like me.

You might as well do the same, even if you don't want to be a programmer, if you keep it simple, you won't have to do anything too hard. It's more about learning how things bolt together, no matter what you do, it'll help to know that.

And it's actually fun to make things move around on screen! I'm not ready to collaborate because I'm still learning the very basics, but maybe on the next go round.

As my auld lad says, you'll never learn any younger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...As my auld lad says, you'll never learn any younger!

Like that!

Advertisement