Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Take Away - Dublin 8

Options
  • 06-01-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Not often I start threads, but since New China House on Clanbrassil St changed their curry sauce back in October I haven't had a curry since. Going in for my regular blood donation (If you don't donate and want to take up something in 2014, give www.giveblood.ie a visit ;) ). So basically I'm looking for your recommendations of a decent curry in Dublin 8, bit of boiled rice and some noodles!

Had a recommendation for Pen Tower on the South Circular at Dolphins Barn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Hui Kee on Emmet Road in Inchicore is our local. Don't eat curry but their salt & chilli King Prawns are to die for!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Had a Chicken Curry from Pen Tower last night actually - first time using them, as I have been ordering from the Dragon Inn on Thomas St (lovely, but just fancied a change) up to now. It was a little bit meh tbh, the curry sauce was quite bland and mild. One thing they do is large/small portion sizes, the large ones being perfect for sharing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Diep-At-Home have opened a new shop on Clanbrassil St at Malpas court. A bit more expensive than your average Chinese, but a bit better quality to make up for it. They do the usual mix of Thai curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

stevenmu wrote: »
    Diep-At-Home have opened a new shop on Clanbrassil St at Malpas court. A bit more expensive than your average Chinese, but a bit better quality to make up for it. They do the usual mix of Thai curries.

That's Thai, not Chinese!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Had a Chicken Curry from Pen Tower last night actually - first time using them, as I have been ordering from the Dragon Inn on Thomas St (lovely, but just fancied a change) up to now. It was a little bit meh tbh, the curry sauce was quite bland and mild. One thing they do is large/small portion sizes, the large ones being perfect for sharing.

Dragon Inn any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Dragon Inn any use?

Yeah, I'd give it a go if you haven't had it yet - I usually ask for an extra spicy Chicken Curry and it can carry a decent kick. Haven't had much else from it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Chop Chop is decent. Good value too and quick delivery.

Ended up opting with Emerald House on the Crumlin Rd (Not D8 but still), decent but they don't have a chicken breast option for curries seemed like just bits of leg/breast. Can't go wrong for six quid.

And on a side note, Blood Donation place was packed at 6.30pm! Great to see.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I like New Land on South Circular Rd (Kilmainham).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I had Chop Chop a couple of weeks ago. Was on nights so myself and one of the girls just got chips and curry sauce - dirty* and delicious!!!

*In the best possible way, not physically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

tfak85 wrote: »
    I had Chop Chop a couple of weeks ago. Was on nights so myself and one of the girls just got chips and curry sauce - dirty* and delicious!!!

*In the best possible way, not physically.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Oink wrote: »
    I like New Land on South Circular Rd (Kilmainham).

Dirty premises, I don't eat from there anymore because of it.

Good Luck beside O'Donoghue's on Emmet Road or King Seng in Rialto.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

Fusion in Crumlin is the best and delivers to D8

Just digging this back up as I've had a craving for a curry since last weekend. Dragon Inn, Chop Chop, Good Luck, King Seng and Fusion are the recommendations on here. Trying to narrow it down! Need a good chicken curry (proper breast meat!), skinny fried noddles and fluffy boiled rice. HELP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Just digging this back up as I've had a craving for a curry since last weekend. Dragon Inn, Chop Chop, Good Luck, King Seng and Fusion are the recommendations on here. Trying to narrow it down! Need a good chicken curry (proper breast meat!), skinny fried noddles and fluffy boiled rice. HELP?

Another vote for Hui Kee on Emmet Road :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I am also interested in this search for a D8 chicken curry :D I think I might have to try Dragon Inn as it seems to be closest to me of all the ones mentioned.

Another vote for Hui Kee on Emmet Road :)

Will they hit my criteria? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The noodle place on Wexford St a few doors up from Whelans is excellent and cheap; dunno if it has that old school Chinese takeaway taste I think you're looking for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'll give another vote for the greatness that is Fusion. Their delivery service is also very quick so there is no long wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Red Rice in Kimmage / Sundrive area is lovely. I'm certain that they would deliver to D8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Red Rice in Kimmage / Sundrive area is lovely. I'm certain that they would deliver to D8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

if you're going as far as emerald house or fusion, give shirley house a go. i've tried almost all on the list above and think they're the best out of this lot.

The real question is, do these places do good chicken (breast) curries with good skinny fried noodles and fluffy boiled rice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

The real question is, do these places do good chicken (breast) curries with good skinny fried noodles and fluffy boiled rice! :)
    my taste buds can vouch for all these in shirley house.

Had a Shirley House.................hit the spot!!

Advertisement