Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht stories

• 07-01-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Anyone got any funny stories from your Gaeltacht expierences , or just some stories in general or any tips etc ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Tuathanach

MRledzepo wrote: »
    Anyone got any funny stories from your Gaeltacht expierences , or just some stories in general or any tips etc ??

Not a funny story but as a tip - for any Dublin based folk out there, Ráth Chairn, is less than an hour in the car and the language is very much alive there! I'd recommend going for a nice walk around and a drink in the bar for mixing with native Irish speakers if you're in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭MRledzepo

Tuathanach wrote: »
    Not a funny story but as a tip - for any Dublin based folk out there, Ráth Chairn, is less than an hour in the car and the language is very much alive there! I'd recommend going for a nice walk around and a drink in the bar for mixing with native Irish speakers if you're in the Dublin area.
    thanks :) seen that on telly before , on that guy who travels the country speaking irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Funny stories from the Gaeltacht, I don't even know where to begin :pac:

My first year there I brought these green tea mint things that led everyone to believe I had drugs; this might have had an element of truth after my friend took seven in one go and got really hyper and hit her head (she was fine after)

A strange trend started in one house of lads one year. They would get coat hangers, bend them into whatever shape or letter they wanted, heat it with a lighter and brand themselves :eek:

Transvestite céilís in general! Lads coming over to girls houses and going all out in bras and makeup and even fake tan, fair play to them :pac: A friend of mine was famed for his long blond hair, and so each year we waited with anticipation to see what would be done with it, mainly impressive plaits :D

A different friend stunned the Coláiste one time when she played Mr Brightside on the guitar at the seó tallainne - behind her head :pac:

That concludes my nostalgia ramble of the Gaeltacht <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

On a visit to Na hOileáin Árann in August of 2012,i went to Inis Meáin for the day....I ended up walking in the wrong direction to the place I wanted to visit,so I went into a little shop/post office to ask for help,and I said:

"Gabh mo leithscéal,tá brón orm as cur isteach ort ach ceapaim go bhfuil mé caillte agus tá súil agam go gcabhródh tù mé.Táim ag lorg Cathaoir Synge agus...."

to which the lady at the desk replied in a Dublin accent:

"....you'll have to excuse my ignorance-I can understand most of what you are saying,but as yet I can't answer you back properly!!"

Agus sa Daingean/Corca Dhuíbhne i 2011,mí Lúghnasa arís....

On a visit to An Blascaoid Mhór,walking down the steep slope and long grass with me camera and gearbag,slipping and falling flat on me arse,then sitting upright really quickly and pretending to look through me gearbag...
    Agus sa Daingean Uí Chúis,on a night out in Tígh Uí Fhlaithearthaigh,walking into the ladies jacks instead of the mens!

Advertisement