Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I'm not so sure it was all ' nice ' on last years thread , I Remember it being 'nicely ' congested last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    Anyone who did this last year knows it was a very well organised event. Nice tops, nice course, nice medal.

https://events.athleticsireland.ie/ps/event/SamsungRunDublinNight10k2014

Tripping over people the whole way round, alot of tight corners one after the other, very narrow in places, alot of back tracking, a long wait at the start and finish in thr cold and wet, bag drop along way from start/finish, and no toilet and changing facilities made for quite a busy guard at pearse letting people though the gates to use the loo there.

There were somes pluses, yes it was a nice medal, nice top, and quite a novolty, running that distance at night in the city. Would definitely not travel half way across the country to do it again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Same day as Kildare this year, so I won't be doing it. I probably wouldn't have done it again though - I enjoyed the novelty of it last year and I liked the course, even with all of the twists and turns in the second half, but the congestion annoyed me and I don't remember there being water at the end.

Having said that, the tshirt is the best quality one I got from a race last year, and came in very handy over the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Will avoid like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Said never again after last year, so it will be a no for me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

drquirky wrote: »
    Will avoid like the plague.

I'll book you in for marshalling duties so? ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Also 31.50 for a 10K is insane money.

Last year I did the race series 10 Mile AND half Marathon for 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

great top though. I see it everywhere running around the place so the people who got it must like it to keep using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

opus wrote: »
    Yeah, I see it's been advertised, however, so far, no permit application has been received by Cork AI Co Board, even though it appears on the AI list of Licensed Events and entries are already being taken thro' the AI website.

In October, a presentation was made by the promoters, Titan Marketing, to Cork AI County Board. The big selling point was a "high quality top"...with a billboard on the back!

Entry fee is €31.50, making it, by a long margin, the dearest 10k in Cork.

Clubs are queueing up to get some of the loot for stewarding. Organisers are hoping for 3,000 entries, but with all the stewards required, and the sheer number of (cheaper and, imho, better value) alternative races, it's hard to see anything like this number being achieved. There are 14 alternative races in the period from 3 weeks before, to 3 weeks afterwards.

Some alternatives (within 10 days of the event):
    April 22nd, 20:00, Stryker 4M (BHAA), entry fee: €5
    Apr 27th, 21:00, Samsung Night Race, entry fee: €31.50
    May 1st, 20:00, Midleton 5, entry fee: €10
    May 3rd, 09:15, Bandon Half-Marathon, entry fee: €20
    May 3rd, 09:30, Bandon 10k, entry fee: €12
    May 7th, 20:00, Pfizer 6M (BHAA), entry fee: €5

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I won an entry to this last year, if I got it free again this year I wouldn't do it. It was really congested last year, the route was awful, really loads of twists and turns. I saw people slipping and tripping trying to get around the tight corners. Only positive for me was the shirt which I wear all the time. One to give a miss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Condo131 wrote: »
    In October, a presentation was made by the promoters, Titan Marketing, to Cork AI County Board. The big selling point was a "high quality top"...with a billboard on the back!

So that's why Bobby Kerr was talking about doing the race so much last year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Peterx wrote: »
    great top though. I see it everywhere running around the place so the people who got it must like it to keep using it.

I have to admit, every time I see it, I just can't take it seriously as a running top or the event as a proper race. I dislike it for that.

Someone threw an metal bike lock full force into the crowd of runners on O'connell street last year, hitting a guy in front of me in the Knee who had to drop out.

That's the sort of ****e I can do without during a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Did it last year - as a novice runner it really was a enjoyable experience and I'd say it played a significant part in helping me to catch the running bug.

That said I don't think I'd do it again due to the congestion and risk of injury around the Hanover/Sir John Rogersons Quay area on some of those back streets with the potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

A lot of hate for last years run I see.

I actually enjoyed it - maybe it was the novelty of running in the city centre at night, but I thought there was a shed load of marshalls on a really flat course, and experienced no congestion. I did nearly come a cropper on a manhole going around one of those corners at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

2012's route was better, less sharp corners, ran out to the Aviva and back. That said the weather was horrific in 2012. 2013 there was alot of congested right angle corners and the idea of two laps is lame.

I think i'll decide whether to do this after the course is revealed. 2012's course with 2013's weather please;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I actually enjoyed it - maybe it was the novelty of running in the city centre at night, but I thought there was a shed load of marshalls on a really flat course, and experienced no congestion. I did nearly come a cropper on a manhole going around one of those corners at one point.

A lot of hate alright!

I did the Run in the Dark in Dublin in November & really enjoyed it.
    Again lots of tight turns & a bit of congestion but nothing major. If I had read the thread about it beforehand I probably wouldn't have done it & would have missed out.

Based on the above I've signed up for this Samsung Night Run - we'll see how it goes!

Hopefully I won't be a hater of it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What time did you run, or aiming for.

I was aiming for around 50 minutes, started in the appropriate pen, and was running around slower runners, and dodging people who couldn't keep the pace until after going up and down O'Connell St. For most of the race after that I had someone immediately in front and behind me, and on both left and right, another person/kerb/barrier.

The amount of near slips/misses was scary due to not being able to see a clear road in wet dark conditions. Am glad they didnot get the numbers they were expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lougholad

im doing the wexford half marathon the same day. might sign up for this aswell.. im like a bug to a light. The running top just has me drawn in ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Entered this last year. Didn't have as bad an experience as some to have had. It was a bit busy going up O'Connell street but after the 180 at the top of the street, it started to clear up.

That said, I think I will wait to see the course before entering; all that winding in the last 3kms last year drove me mad.

Tech top was nice alright. But for €31, you could a decent top off wiggle if that's the only reason you are entering!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

What time did you run, or aiming for.
    I ran sub 40mins last year.

I may do it again this year - the €31 is off-putting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Last year's race was a shambles, terrible start area, twisting course, shocking organisation at the end to get your medal.

not a hope in hell am I going near it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Hopefully they improve the route this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

vitani wrote: »
    Same day as Kildare this year, so I won't be doing it. I probably wouldn't have done it again though - I enjoyed the novelty of it last year and I liked the course, even with all of the twists and turns in the second half, but the congestion annoyed me and I don't remember there being water at the end.

Having said that, the tshirt is the best quality one I got from a race last year, and came in very handy over the winter.

There were bottles of powerade I remember. Too congested but I still want to do it again.

I remember running down O'Connell St on the footpath and one of the marshalls was giving out to me :P

I think I will do it again. It was only my second ever 10 K after doing the great Ireland run two weeks previous and I have to say yes it was a novelty but I really enjoyed it. The congestion was a killer for some turns. and unless you went really wide on some of them you kinda just got stuck in a bunch. I got round in 56 mins and now I am over stone lighter I wan to do it sub 50.

Again like everyone else the running top was a great plus for this event I wear it a good bit especially now that it is cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Kildare appears to be cancelled this year? http://www.kildaremarathon.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Kildare appears to be cancelled this year? http://www.kildaremarathon.ie/

I think it was cancelled a day or two after I posted that. :(

Still won't be doing the Samsung run though. The last couple of races I've ran have been club races and there really is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

If I remember correctly it was about 200m long too. I was raging as it was my first chance at going sub 40 and if it had of been exactly 10k I would have done it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

I think it was cancelled a day or two after I posted that. :(

Still won't be doing the Samsung run though. The last couple of races I've ran have been club races and there really is no comparison.

Can you elaborate on that for me? Is it to do with congestion/organisation? I am intrigued - do you have to be a member to run in these races? I am 50/50 on the Samsung - three or four colleagues of mine did it last year and had nothing bot good things to say about it, but most of the comments I have read on boards seem to be quite negative. I did the Kildare 10k last year and thought it was well organised and was planning to do the same this year (until yesterday when I discovered it is cancelled). Also had a look at the Kinvara Rock and Road in Galway on 1st March as a half Marathon prep for Connemara - any feedback on that one?

Advertisement