Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭28064212

fletch wrote: »
    If I remember correctly it was about 200m long too. I was raging as it was my first chance at going sub 40 and if it had of been exactly 10k I would have done it.
    According to your Garmin? GPS devices will almost always have a higher distance than the length of the race, it is not accurate enough to be used to measure a race

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Can you elaborate on that for me? Is it to do with congestion/organisation? I am intrigued - do you have to be a member to run in these races? I am 50/50 on the Samsung - three or four colleagues of mine did it last year and had nothing bot good things to say about it, but most of the comments I have read on boards seem to be quite negative. I did the Kildare 10k last year and thought it was well organised and was planning to do the same this year (until yesterday when I discovered it is cancelled). Also had a look at the Kinvara Rock and Road in Galway on 1st March as a half Marathon prep for Connemara - any feedback on that one?

I'd recommend you do the BHAA K-Club 10k
    http://bhaa.ie/events/k-club-2014/
    One of the best and fastest 10ks in the country IMO. Also only €15 to enter (cheaper if you are a BHAA member). It's not exactly a club race but it has a very club feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

club race = race organised by a club
    not a race for club members only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Can you elaborate on that for me? Is it to do with congestion/organisation? I am intrigued - do you have to be a member to run in these races? I am 50/50 on the Samsung - three or four colleagues of mine did it last year and had nothing bot good things to say about it, but most of the comments I have read on boards seem to be quite negative. I did the Kildare 10k last year and thought it was well organised and was planning to do the same this year (until yesterday when I discovered it is cancelled). Also had a look at the Kinvara Rock and Road in Galway on 1st March as a half Marathon prep for Connemara - any feedback on that one?

There's a couple of different elements to it. The cost is usually much less. I find that there's fewer numbers and a more established course so you don't have the same problems with congestion as in the Samsung run. Collecting race numbers is often more manageable - they're either posted out or you can pick them up that morning, rather than having to make your way somewhere the day before. Most club races will offer refreshments afterwards, and all in all, the atmosphere itself is just nicer. I've only been a club member since the start of the year, so no, you don't have to be a member to take part in them.

I suppose it depends on where you're coming from, and what you want from a race. If you only do a couple of races a year, then the bigger commercial events are fine. I enjoyed having the opportunity to run around Dublin city last year in the Samsung Run. Now that I'm racing more regularly though, the little niggles that annoyed me last time when it comes to commercial races just turn me off doing them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

If the night is what you are looking for, Fit Magazine have a 10k night run in Sandymount in March - http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events.
    I'm not shilling, but it's only 21 quid (not sure about goodie bags or tops) and because if the location, it's sure to be as flat as a witches tit. There is a cheaper 5k option also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

fletch wrote: »
    If I remember correctly it was about 200m long too. I was raging as it was my first chance at going sub 40 and if it had of been exactly 10k I would have done it.

200m long on your garmin most likely means the course was accurately measured.

a) Garmin is more an estimation than a completely accurate tool

b) doubtful you ran the correct racing line especially w/ all the dodging and weaving you'd have to do at a hobby jogging/ mass participation tick box fest such as this.

drquirky wrote: »
    200m long on your garmin most likely means the course was accurately measured.

a) Garmin is more an estimation than a completely accurate tool

b) doubtful you ran the correct racing line

Also in this particular race with all the twists and 180º turns the garmin will be particularly inaccurate ( it is also very hard to hold a good racing line on such a course).

a hobby jogging/ mass participation tick box fest such as this.

a bit harsh ? Sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I bet a lot of folks here did something like this (or the Great Ireland Run) as their first "race".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

PaulieC wrote: »
    a bit harsh ? Sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I bet a lot of folks here did something like this (or the Great Ireland Run) as their first "race".

ah come on just ripping the piss a bit here….

ah come on just ripping the piss a bit here….

fair enough, context/intention is hard to discern in text sometimes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Theyve put a route map up, looks better than last year, less corners and cobblestones. It's not perfect, but better.

http://samsungnightrun.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    Theyve put a route map up, looks better than last year, less corners and cobblestones. It's not perfect, but better.

http://samsungnightrun.ie/

Seriously? It looks horrendous. Much worse at first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Very messy looking. Lots of crossovers. Pretty expensive too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was going to ask who is making money on this event and then I saw this on their website:

"Your entry fees are invested back into making the event successful and safe for everyone involved. Proceeds from the not-for-profit event will go to Cork and Dublin schools, helping young people hone their skills through digital learning with Samsung technology."

What if the schools can't afford the Samsung technology? :rolleyes:
    Which schools exactly can avail of this assistance? ah, I'm too tired, ran Ballycotton today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Unfortunately found this thread about ten min after I signed up. Hopefully its a better experience for people this year.

For you race number and chip do u have to get it right before the race or can u get it the day before. I'm in work on the day and plan on getting there for 8.30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Trying to figure out that route made me dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Dublin route looks like a mess alright. Brought back memories of this-

fbec6dec66d3e1a20a83d981eb7f1d9b.png
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

jd83 wrote: »
    Unfortunately found this thread about ten min after I signed up. Hopefully its a better experience for people this year.

For you race number and chip do u have to get it right before the race or can u get it the day before. I'm in work on the day and plan on getting there for 8.30

They will always let you pick up numbers the couple days before.

I ran the original race in the rain the first time and it was good for what it was, exciting as it was my first 10k but having run different races (docklands series race series etc) since then i have to say the price is the major put off for me. You feel they should have made the price cheaper and made the tee shirt a opt-in on the price like a lot of races are doing now.

The course doesn't look brilliant either :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

sideswipe wrote: »
    Dublin route looks like a mess alright. Brought back memories of this-

:D

I still can't believe how much of a mess they keep making of this course. It's ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

that's a crazy route.

it just doesn't appeal to me at all the straights are to long, then you have to play Criss Cross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I have entered the cork one and looking forward to it, But have to agree that the dublin route would really put me off. At least the route in cork is a nice loop with no crossing.

Is there a limit to the number of entires?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Backmarker

They're hoping for 3,000 in Cork. The word coming down from those involved in the management of the race is that "they're crapping themselves" due to the low level of entries. Their problem is that there are plenty of other excellent events on around the same time, and these are all significantly cheaper.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just had a look at the dublin route, wow thats pretty awful
    between that and the cost its shaping up to be awful

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I ran it last year myself but not this year. Can't justify the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

I was about to sign up for it, this thread just put me off... Anyones knows if there will be a 10k onn the Docklands this year? Got my PB on this course last year, http://www.docklandsrun.ie/tag/dublin-10k/ I cannot find anything for 2014 that why I was looking at the sumsung one instead...

lmguillou wrote: »
    I was about to sign up for it, this thread just put me off... Anyones knows if there will be a 10k onn the Docklands this year? Got my PB on this course last year, http://www.docklandsrun.ie/tag/dublin-10k/ I cannot find anything for 2014 that why I was looking at the sumsung one instead...

I think you'll find the comments on the Docklands one last year were even worse than comments on here :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

To be fair I think there are literally dozens of great 10K races a fraction of the cost of these.

I ran the 10K in the docklands last year too but wouldn't do it again.

I'll be hitting up the BHAA 10K in the K-club in April.

15 euro and looks to be a great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think you'll find the comments on the Docklands one last year were even worse than comments on here :)

Seriously? :-o I thought it was great, may be because I managed to go in front of the crowd then... Good to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

lmguillou wrote: »
    Seriously? :-o I thought it was great, may be because I managed to go in front of the crowd then... Good to know :)

I ran the Run in the Dark in November & thought it was grand (apart from a delayed start) but if I had the comments on here first I'd never have entered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

frash wrote: »
    I ran the Run in the Dark in November & thought it was grand (apart from a delayed start) but if I had the comments on here first I'd never have entered.

Grand? Great cause but frankly the course and it's organisation was an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, it was the worst race I have ever participated in.

There are so many brilliant club races up-and-down the country for less money. I am pretty tired with some people giving 'charity' races an easy time (not saying you are).

Advertisement