Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Grand? Great cause but frankly the course and it's organisation was an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, it was the worst race I have ever participated in.

There are so many brilliant club races up-and-down the country for less money. I am pretty tired with some people giving 'charity' races an easy time (not saying you are).

Could you recommend a 10k race in Dublin flat and fast coming up in the next 2-3 months? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

lmguillou wrote: »
    Could you recommend a 10k race in Dublin flat and fast coming up in the next 2-3 months? cheers

Not exactly in Dublin but the Dunboyne 10k at the end of June is the best one around IMO.
    Honourable mention to the BHAA KClub 10k in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dunshaughlin 10k, itym, and yes, great race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

lmguillou wrote: »

I am going a 10km on the 2nd but that's in Dundalk.

On a very quick look try:

http://www.greatirelandrun.org/

Not exactly flat but a good course.

For races look up:

http://www.runningcalendar.eu/races.php

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I've ran it the last two years I like the Novelty of it but If I have to travel all the way up to collect my number the day before the race is on like i've done every time for this race I might give it a miss but surely with the €1.50 part of the entry fee they could post out your number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I've ran it the last two years I like the Novelty of it but If I have to travel all the way up to collect my number the day before the race is on like i've done every time for this race I might give it a miss but surely with the €1.50 part of the entry fee they could post out your number?

where do you usually have to collect from?
    can't see it on the website

I just presumed there'd be a posting option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

This was last years...

Race packs can be collected from the Trinity College Dublin Sports Centre, which is located
    at the junction of Pearse Street and Westland Row (see map), on the dates and times
    outlined below only. You can access the Trinity College Dublin Sports Centre from Pearse
    Street at the Science Gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Collection the same as last year. Are t shirts given out at registration or after the race? Can I collect the number for someone else I registered?

Where will race registration take place?
    Dublin registration will take place in Trinity College Sports Centre on the following dates and times
    Friday 25th April 11:00 - 20:00
    Saturday 26th April 11:00 – 18:00
    Sunday 27th April 11:00 – 16:00

Cork registration will take place in the Millennium Hall (Cork City Hall) on the following dates and times
    Saturday 26th April 11:00 – 18:00
    Sunday 27th April 11:00 – 16:00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Jet Black wrote: »
    Collection the same as last year. Are t shirts given out at registration or after the race? Can I collect the number for someone else I registered?

Last year you collected T-shirt at registration. And you could collect others number as long as you had email or similar proof I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Looking forward to this on Sunday, I wonder if they got anywhere near the 3000 entries they were hoping to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

boydkev wrote: »
    Looking forward to this on Sunday, I wonder if they got anywhere near the 3000 entries they were hoping to get.

Yeah me too, this is for the novelty of running with friends and having a bit of craic. Not sure why all the moaning about the course and fees. Nice top for the money. Running in Dublin at night and something to do other than booze.

Looking forward to this again. Last year was great buzz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

winston82 wrote: »
    . Not sure why all the moaning about the course and fees!

Because if you are faster than the D and D operation transformers, the course is dangerous and ****. The race is also ridiculously overpriced. Not hard to see why runners who aren't just there for the "craic" would moan.

drquirky wrote: »
    Because if you are faster than the D and D operation transformers, the course is dangerous and ****. The race is also ridiculously overpriced. Not hard to see why runners who aren't just there for the "craic" would moan.

I couldn't care less about 31 euro. I'd pay double that to go out and run and have a good time with people with the same hobby. I fail to see the dangers. I didn't see any injuries from the course last year.

Everyone I know who did this last year has booked it again. It's good craic and gets people active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

boydkev wrote: »

With any luck, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

€31 for a 10km run is a rip off. I'm not even a serious runner and wouldn't pay that

can get 2 of the Dublin race series for €35, much better value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I couldn't care less about 31 euro. I'd pay double that to go out and run and have a good time with people with the same hobby. I fail to see the dangers. I didn't see any injuries from the course last year.

Everyone I know who did this last year has booked it again. It's good craic and gets people active.

I did it the first year and it wasn't too busy and I enjoyed it and still wear the top regularly. It's very handy on cold winter nights.
    However, I was a spectator last year and my sister and bil did it and it was WAY too crowded and when I met them at the end and we were walking back from the finish line to the water area it was severely congested. I'm not exaggerating but it was dangerous and very claustrophobic and the crowds were at a standstill at times and we couldn't move forward. It was horrible and they've obviously over-subscribed it since the first running of it.
    For anyone who's serious about running for a time I'd say avoid it like the plague. Maybe if you're very near the front (like most events) it's fine or if you're just out for some crack:pac: then take it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Picked up bag today and its pretty bismal to be honest. Top is OK but I'm
    hoping its a good race. Good luck everyone one who is doing this on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Seriously? It comes across like you're not aware of the great races that are knocking around for half that price(even less). Nobody likes to be told that they're getting ripped off, I get that, but I dont think people are trying to be negative. They're just saying its a good idea to shop around because this race is not good value, no matter how much its dressed up in fancy promotion.

tunguska wrote: »
    Seriously? It comes across like you're not aware of the great races that are knocking around for half that price(even less). Nobody likes to be told that they're getting ripped off, I get that, but I dont think people are trying to be negative. They're just saying its a good idea to shop around because this race is not good value, no matter how much its dressed up in fancy promotion.

I guess you just don't like people with a more positive perception. It's well worth the money and it's a fantastic place for a run with friends! This isn't a serious event and if you compare it to more serious ones then of course you will not enjoy it.

I guess the thousands who are doing it will agree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I guess you just don't like people with a more positive perception. It's well worth the money and it's a fantastic place for a run with friends! This isn't a serious event and if you compare it to more serious ones then of course you will not enjoy it.

No Im a pretty positive person myself. I just know the difference between a good race and a bad one. I did that race 2 years ago and it was a mess. Whos not to say its a serious event though? I mean if you dont take it seriously thats up to you but others will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well, I won't be doing this race because it is

a. such a rip off
    b. such a bad course
    c. badly organised.

Last year, they had us line up crammed into the start area, getting cold, for ages before starting the race late.

Then the race was so overcrowded it was ridiculous.

During the race a lot of people picked up injuries due to the overcrowding and the crazy course.

I saw one scumbag throw a U-lock into the crowd on O'Connell Street hitting one runner in the knee.

At the finish they crammed everyone over a narrow footbridge to collect medals, not giving out water or anything until you get to the other side of the narrow bridge. In my case that took around 10 mins due to the overcrowding and dis-organisation.

All this is excused because it's not a "serious" race?

The money making is serious anyway, little or no refreshments provided afterwards, though they do give you a ridiculous looking luminious top.

On the other hand you could run a 10K for 1/3 of the price, have a great course, great after race spread and great atmosphere, but of course lets ignore that because it's a "serious" race, whatever that means.

Enjoy it anyway, maybe try a few other races for comparison over the course of the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I think that's a bit harsh. Tunguska made a very valid point in my opinion. Albeit you get a decent top it is one of the most expensive 10k races on the calendar. I think you'll find that plenty of runners will be taking it seriously tomorrow night. And there are loads of other races around that are great fun and less expensive.

Just my opinion......and I am doing it for fun with 29 other work colleagues so I wouldn't say it should be boycotted or anything. It's a great opportunity for me to get people at work out running in a city centre location.Value for money is always a perception thing anyway. I think the course could be improved though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I took it very seriously when I did it even though I was a mid packer as did the folks who were with me so not sure you're correct in what you're saying there.

Ososlo wrote: »
    I took it very seriously when I did it even though I was a mid packer as did the folks who were with me so not sure you're correct in what you're saying there.

Folks who were with me last year say otherwise and all re-booked this year again. Great value for an excellent race.

Why are thousands booking it if it's so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

it's a fantastic place for a run with friends!

Isn't anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Why are thousands booking it if it's so bad?

Why do people watch Tallafornia?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

I think the main reason people are booking is due to the novelty of doing a run in the city at night to be fair. There's very limited options in that regard. This and the Run in The Dark are the only ones I can think of. I would have liked to do this myself but when I took a look at the course decided it wasn't for me.

I did the Lifestyle Run in the Dark as my first 10k before Christmas and really enjoyed it. There were quite alot of negatives however, many the same as being raised here for the Samsung run - poor organisation, congestion during and after the race and lack of access to refreshments afterwards. For the high entry fees they are charging it really is unacceptable if they don't address these issues.

I've opted for the ARC 10k in Phoenix Park instead but hope people doing the Samsung run enjoy it!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Isn't anywhere?

It sure is.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Why do people watch Tallafornia?

I've never seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ran this the first year. Felt it was very poorly organised. By the sounds of things last year was worse. This year the course is a shambles. Really can't justify the cash spend for the night run novelty. That said I hope this year works out better for all running it.

Advertisement