Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

So, I really should have checked out the route before signing up for this - but I didn't and have only just done so now, and it looks like insanity to me

I live on Windmill Lane, so know all of this area and why anyone would choose to bring a race through it beats me...

I hate to pre-judge and I hope I'm wrong but on the basis of the route this could be horrible ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 costello2k4

I signed up ages ago for this after having a brilliant time last year (it was my first race after doing couch to 5k, and 5 to 10k) but I injured myself training for it. Shall be volunteering instead. Good luck to everyone running it. Have a blast, enjoy the atmosphere and the city and soak up all the encouragement. See you at the water stand on the quays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Ran this the first year. Felt it was very poorly organised. By the sounds of things last year was worse. This year the course is a shambles. Really can't justify the cash spend for the night run novelty. That said I hope this year works out better for all running it.

I got a run down of the course today and sounds like carnage.Running up and down footpaths sounds like a disaster.No roads closed off and course seems too narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Surely the roads are closed off going down the quays? I know they where for grant Thornton 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

See here - http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/ScheduledDisruptions/Documents/Traffic_News.pdf

There will be road closures for the whole route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

See here - http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/ScheduledDisruptions/Documents/Traffic_News.pdf

There will be road closures for the whole route.

Looking at the course design, I don't think motorised road traffic is going to be the problem. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

The Cork version seemed fine to me, small (~2 min) delay at the start but everything went very smooth, plenty marshals and garda bikes keeping traffic at bay. Route was grand, few small climbs and then a bit of a down hill before the final k.

It's certainly a bit on the expensive side but worth doing once anyway for the experience of running around town at dusk on closed roads.

Cork being the small place it is I of course knew several of the marshals along the way which was great :)

Hopefully the Dublin run went as smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Dublin was fine in my opinion. No where near as good as Dublin race series of course but still a good run. Organised very well. Ran it with my sister and just helped her keep her pace. Started mid group of +66 and found it easy to overtake.
    Oh and got a text as soon as I crossed the line with my finish time which was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Did it last night in Dublin & enjoyed it taking it as the novelty run it is.

Actually had a PB despite the congestion so I really must find a decent flat 10km to see if I can beat 50 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Did the Cork run last night, Was very impressed with the organisation.
    Managed to get a PB 43mins for the distance, So very happy. Great atmosphere around the whole course and great experience to run around the city at that time with the roads closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Ran this in Cork last night and thought it was very well organised. Miles better than the "Run in the Dark" that was on last year. Only complaints were one or two spots where the lighting could have been better. Nearly tripped on a speed bump that I only saw at the last second...

Overall Dublin was OK. There were a couple of parts of the course that were way too congested though and things practically came to a standstill which is not really acceptable imo. At many points in the the 1st half of the race , I felt I was not able to run at the pace which I wanted , so this was frustrating. The 2nd half improved. I don't think I would fault the organisation of the race, but the route was far from ideal. It was just too restricted in the early stages for the volume of runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

What happened to Mick Clohisey's result? First thing this morning he was confirmed as finishing second in Dublin to Peter Brandon by 1second. Now his result has disappeared and everyone has been bumped up a place. Mick was in the lead for a good bit of the race and it was an exciting contest. Strange!

Agreed that the course was congested in places. A road should never be divided in half so early in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Guess the fact that there were ~1k people in Cork vs ~5k in Dublin made the big difference. Start area was fairly wide in Cork so once you got past the first few hundred meters & people who started in the wrong area it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rubiesarered

I did this last night (my first race ever) and found the congestion really frustrating. Every time I settled into my pace, the race would slow down - to a standstill a couple of times. I also found that a lot of runners who were going for a faster time than me started way behind me and I spent a lot of 2k - 6k getting bashed by people pushing through (probably only an issue because of the congestion).

Also, quite a few runners were walking in the middle of the road which was annoying. I thought it would be common sense to go to the edge of the lane if you need to walk for a bit, especially at 8k - 10k when most people were trying to pick up their pace for the finish.

Having said all that, I got a far better time than I hoped for and I probably could have shaved another 2 mins off my time if the above hadn't been issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

I must say I was pleasanty surprised by the race ( a PB might do that though)! I was towards the front of the race so I had no congestion issues but I can understand how this would have been a significant issue for a lot of runners.

I thought the course itself was interesting and fun as I was concerned that the volume of corners would be a burden but personally I didn't feel it had any effect.

Overall the organisation was good and it started on time with plenty of marshalls but I can see why people who may have been further back would have been frustrated - the roads around Grand Canal are not the best to begin with and then to have people running both directions is not ideal. While it was pricey I can see why it costs a lot more to close down the city centre than the Phoniex Park and I would b happy to do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Ran it in Dublin last night and found it to be well organised with lots of marshals etc, but it was very congested in parts and especially in the first few kilometers. I spent a lot of effort just trying to avoid other runners and alternating between the pace I wanted to run at and the pace of the runners in front of me.
    The organisers might consider more phased starts to spread the race out a bit more.

Still, overall I really enjoyed it and I'll be doing it again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

3rd time doing it.

I don't know about this year but it seemed to me there were less participants than previous years. The jersey top is more or less the same than previous years and so is the medal. No Powerade bottle this year and goody bag isn't great seen the fee cost

This isn't a race where you can PB unless you're at the front and there were some narrow areas which lead to a few injuries.

Nonetheless, I still enjoyed the nice evening chatting around with friends.

Anyone know how many ran in Dublin?

Can't find the number on site unless I scroll hundreds of pages to get to end.

Noticed a good few people who just ran race without registering but collected medal (I knew some of them personally so not a case they just wore a different top) . A cheap way of doing it without paying the fee or getting the top

Enjoyed it but don't think I'd run that route again. Some parts were far too narrow but a great novelty

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

5037 finishers according to the results page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

I ran this in cork, a good run & well organised, nice tops too. Besides cork running blog, is there anywhere else that I can find photos of the event? Cheers

Prob a silly question (which I should have asked at registration) , but does anyone know if there an XS Tshirt size? I automatically asked for S thinking it would be the smallest ...and its pretty big! Can't see myself wearing it....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

frogstar wrote: »
    A cheap way of doing it without paying the fee or getting the top

Given the amount of congestion there was on the course, its more than a little selfish for people to jump in without paying and add to the traffic.
    If you don't have money to enter a race you can run yourself for free, or do a parkrun. There's no excuse for that behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

BananaR wrote: »
    Prob a silly question (which I should have asked at registration) , but does anyone know if there an XS Tshirt size? I automatically asked for S thinking it would be the smallest ...and its pretty big! Can't see myself wearing it....

Couldn't see myself wearing one of any size. Why would I pay €31 to do such a run around the City and then help advertise a big corporation for the rest of the year. Happy to do that for club events and proper races.

Couldn't see myself wearing one of any size. Why would I pay €31 to do such a run around the City and then help advertise a big corporation for the rest of the year. Happy to do that for club events and proper races.

I get you, but I honestly wouldn't be that bothered about something like that. I like high viz for dark winter evenings, so thought it might fulfil that. But I don't like baggy running gear, so on this basis, I would disregard it - call me shalllow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I get you, but I honestly wouldn't be that bothered about something like that. I like high viz for dark winter evenings, so thought it might fulfil that. But I don't like baggy running gear, so on this basis, I would disregard it - call me shalllow :-)

I'd get onto them and see if they have a XS they could send out. They might not have one but I would send you one if I had one and you asked me nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I did this run two years ago & got an XS top, so maybe they had them this year too? I probably wouldn't do the run again, but I love the top -- I'd say it's one of my most-worn winter tops -- long sleeved, nice fit, really hi-viz, material not too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rubiesarered

I'm not sure if they did have XS this year as I asked the person picking up my top to get me the smallest size available and they got me a S - which was too big to be comfortable. It might be okay in the winter to layer over another top.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

I was very happy with the organisation and route of Cork race. Was a little crowded on Patricks street at the start for 400m but there was a lovely wide and flat 2km straight out the Western road after to allow everyone find their pace. Presumably this is why the Cork average time was quicker, there was no bottle necks at all.

Was maybe a little pricey for a non charity event, and some of scripted "Cork vs Dublin" banter was a little cringey, but was definitely worth doing, once at least anyway.

• Advertisement

No XS this year

But, I got a S and it was actually a medium (compared it with a friends small mine was a lot bigger) but even S wasn't small enough

Advertisement