Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2014

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

frogstar wrote: »
    No XS this year

But, I got a S and it was actually a medium (compared it with a friends small mine was a lot bigger) but even S wasn't small enough

yeah - to be honest, I don't know why I ever expect anything different. The sizing of any race shirts I get is always way off.

Funnily enough, although much maligned on this forum - and before anyone says anything, I did it for the FUN only! - the Electric Run T-shirt , is prob the most accurately sized I ever got - not a technical shirt tho :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Omarscoming

What was the average time of both races? I ran in the over 55 min wave in Dublin and it was walking pace for the first km and didn't get much quicker. I seen two fallers. One lady just before 8km asked the Marshall 'what distance we were at?' and fell over a speed bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rubiesarered

What was the average time of both races? I ran in the over 55 min wave in Dublin and it was walking pace for the first km and didn't get much quicker. I seen two fallers. One lady just before 8km asked the Marshall 'what distance we were at?' and fell over a speed bump.

I think I read that Dublin's average was 55 mins and Cork's was 53 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

jahaco wrote: »
    What happened to Mick Clohisey's result? First thing this morning he was confirmed as finishing second in Dublin to Peter Brandon by 1second. Now his result has disappeared and everyone has been bumped up a place. Mick was in the lead for a good bit of the race and it was an exciting contest. Strange!

Agreed that the course was congested in places. A road should never be divided in half so early in a race.

He was leading at the first crossing of the Samuel beckett....joint lead at the second crossing with a Kenyan.
    Passing the bridge again at 5-6k the Kenyan had broken free with a 20m lead. Clohissey fought back and was leading at 9k trying to shake free, but with the Kenyan sitting on him. He couldn't shake him and lost by a second.
    A great race for third with an all out drive for the line from 9k by an irish guy (I think). Lezan Kimutai sat on him...and outkicked for 3rd. It was a greqat battle though.

Those Kenyans are hardy racers.

Fair play to Mick Clohissey. Hes in great shape. I saw him out for a run on Bull Island earlier that day. Seemed to be out for 45 min plus.

Is he training for a marathon I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

I think I read that Dublin's average was 55 mins and Cork's was 53 mins.

Spotted this on the Running in Cork blog earlier.

Samsung_Cork_V_Dublin2014a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Anyone spotted the drone hovering over the quays in front of convention centre ? Not sure if it was taking videos but that's a pretty cool gizmo

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Ran in Dublin the other day, didnt experience much traffic but I started fairly close to the front (finished in 39 mins so wasnt just there slowing people down) but it did seem like there were tons of people sprinting the first 2k before slowing down, which must have added to the traffic. the roads were too narrow for that many people. it seems like the route was much better last year.

did the route get put up while registration was still on? it wasnt there when i went to sign up, i feel a little bit duped there. may have reconsidered with the route having so many corners and being down boring backstreets.

30 euro wouldnt too bad for a race with a good course in the middle of the city with a good goodie bag and some refreshments after but dodgy route, crap goody bag, and just water not even powerade. bit of a rip-off.

unless i missed someone else mentioning this, i'm surprised i'm the first one to do so, but at 30 euro and over 5000 running, and corporate sponsorship, is it just me or is no cash prize for the winners a bit stingy? nothing but a samsung ipad that they probably got for free with the sponsorship deal. i am not even a potential winner and never will be, but i almost feel shortchanged on behalf of those crazy fast 30 minute finishers for not getting anything decent for their effort. would be good to see some kind of a cash prize.

lastly the shirt is good but paying for the right to advertise a giant company (this has turned into a proper rant, sorry) is silly. time to peel the samsung letters off it so i dont have to advertise them every time i want to go for a run at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭omega666

just-joe wrote: »
    Ran in Dublin the other day, didnt experience much traffic but I started fairly close to the front (finished in 39 mins so wasnt just there slowing people down) but it did seem like there were tons of people sprinting the first 2k before slowing down, which must have added to the traffic. the roads were too narrow for that many people. it seems like the route was much better last year.

did the route get put up while registration was still on? it wasnt there when i went to sign up, i feel a little bit duped there. may have reconsidered with the route having so many corners and being down boring backstreets.

30 euro wouldnt too bad for a race with a good course in the middle of the city with a good goodie bag and some refreshments after but dodgy route, crap goody bag, and just water not even powerade. bit of a rip-off.

unless i missed someone else mentioning this, i'm surprised i'm the first one to do so, but at 30 euro and over 5000 running, and corporate sponsorship, is it just me or is no cash prize for the winners a bit stingy? nothing but a samsung ipad that they probably got for free with the sponsorship deal. i am not even a potential winner and never will be, but i almost feel shortchanged on behalf of those crazy fast 30 minute finishers for not getting anything decent for their effort. would be good to see some kind of a cash prize.

lastly the shirt is good but paying for the right to advertise a giant company (this has turned into a proper rant, sorry) is silly. time to peel the samsung letters off it so i dont have to advertise them every time i want to go for a run at night.

The winner got a Galaxy S5 phone, Gear fit and a Galaxy tab pro 12.1.
    That's about 1400 euro worth of goods. Seems alright to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

omega666 wrote: »
    The winner got a Galaxy S5 phone, Gear fit and a Galaxy tab pro 12.1.
    That's about 1400 euro worth of goods. Seems alright to me!

Not really when the takings are more than 150 grand and the amount of advertising Samsung get is priceless. Does anyone know of a more expensive 10k in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I know where you're coming from Omega, but I'm with colostomy bag here.

the race organisers prob got them for free, and they maybe they didnt even want small samsung computers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Having never seen one of the Samung t-shirts around Cork before, I've seen 5/6 in the last two evenings when I was out for a bit of a run. Good publicity for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I spoke to one of the Cork stewards, who had been involved in the entry processing, just before the start, remarking that I hadn't seen any regular runners and recognised very, very few people. He said "I only recognised 31 names from the entry list" ...this from a guy who is heavily involved in dealing with entries from several very large races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

They paid €30 per steward to their clubs - there were a LOT of stewards so clubs should have made decent money from this.

Not really when the takings are more than 150 grand and the amount of advertising Samsung get is priceless. Does anyone know of a more expensive 10k in the country?

Well how much cash prize would an average 10k run pay out?

My understanding is the proceeds from the run went to proving equipment in local schools in Dublin and cork.

If the winner doesn't want the prize they would be very easy to sell for near on full price.

The event was organised by Samsung, the whole point of it for them was advertising the products they sell. What's wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

My understanding is the proceeds from the run went to proving equipment in local schools in Dublin and cork.
    Samsung have been doing this for years, around the world. The linking of the races in Ireland is, imho, just a 'spin'.
    The event was organised by Samsung
    Titan Marketing - who appear to be the main beneficiaries of the events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So samsung used the profits to buy Samsung equipment off themselves and doante it to local schools. Do you smell anything fishy here? :confused:

menoscemo wrote: »
    So samsung used the profits to buy Samsung equipment off themselves and doante it to local schools. Do you smell anything fishy here? :confused:

No. What's fishy about it?
    Equipment costs money and they would hardly supply the schools with their competitors products.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was stewarding at the Dublin event. I've no interest in running it myself, and there didn't seen to be a lot of good club runners there. Too crowded, too twisty, too expensive.
    But, there were about 100 stewards from Dublin clubs, maybe 150, at 30 euro each, that is a fair chunk of money going directly to clubs, plus (as far as I know) AAI get paid another chunk of money for their backing. So I'm not too unhappy that the race exists, even if I'll never run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    I was stewarding at the Dublin event. I've no interest in running it myself, and there didn't seen to be a lot of good club runners there. Too crowded, too twisty, too expensive.
    But, there were about 100 stewards from Dublin clubs, maybe 150, at 30 euro each, that is a fair chunk of money going directly to clubs, plus (as far as I know) AAI get paid another chunk of money for their backing. So I'm not too unhappy that the race exists, even if I'll never run it.

But Ray what you are missing is that these events take people away from events organised by running clubs.

Happened to our club last year, a commercial race in the park the same day our race was on. Our race was in the calendar first also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

But Ray what you are missing is that these events take people away from events organised by running clubs.

Happened to our club last year, a commercial race in the park the same day our race was on. Our race was in the calendar first also.

I wasn't talking about commercial vs non-commercial, but this race in particular. Yes, it's another race in the calendar, but as far as I know there weren't any club races scheduled for the same day. Was the commercial race you're talking about licenced by AAI/Dublin athletics board?

(The Rock and Roll half is more problematic - yes, clubs and the AAI get money, but another race was in the calendar first, and there's the question of having another championship race in Dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi,
    yep it was license by the aai and Dublin board. But who it was, it got the go ahead.

but my other point is that the Samsung race takes people from other races also, hurting clubs.

Advertisement