Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no exams till summer

• 07-01-2014 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi all, ive applied too become a member of An Garda Síochána but im only do my leaving this year, so wont have the results till summer, does that completely throw a spanner in the works, sorry if im sounding a bit naive,the plan is too hopefully get accepted at a young age so i can work my way up, all going well that is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

joshoh wrote: »
    hi all, ive applied too become a member of An Garda Síochána but im only do my leaving this year, so wont have the results till summer, does that completely throw a spanner in the works, sorry if im sounding a bit naive,the plan is too hopefully get accepted at a young age so i can work my way up, all going well that is

Sorry pal, you're out of luck, way too early. You must have your qualifications by the interview. Just try again next in-take, my guess same time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 joshoh

I wonder will it be next year? ill have too look at college now i think, thats a huge disappointment, thanks for reply i appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

I wonder will it be next year? ill have too look at college now i think, thats a huge disappointment, thanks for reply i appreciate it.

"Alan Shatter said that recruitment that will be determined by a calculation of retirements so that the number of officers does not fall below 13,000."

Well if the minister wants to ensure numbers above 13000 I would assume so as retirements have been between 200-400 annually for the past while.

But hey its not all bad news, look at this as an opportunity as there will be massive competition for the placements. Get involved in your community, consider joining some organisations like the Garda Reserve, Civil Defence, Reserve Defence forces for example. Get some life experience, it'll stand to you next intake.

Hitchroun wrote: »
    "Alan Shatter said that recruitment that will be determined by a calculation of retirements so that the number of officers does not fall below 13,000."

Well if the minister wants to ensure numbers above 13000 I would assume so as retirements have been between 200-400 annually for the past while.

But hey its not all bad news, look at this as an opportunity as there will be massive competition for the placements. Get involved in your community, consider joining some organisations like the Garda Reserve, Civil Defence, Reserve Defence forces for example. Get some life experience, it'll stand to you next intake.

been in the cvil defence a few years and love it,play an awful lot of hurling with both club and county though so cant attend every week, guess its not meant too be this year. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

been in the cvil defence a few years and love it,play an awful lot of hurling with both club and county though so cant attend every week, guess its not meant too be this year. thanks

Get out there and live a little first, go to college! Get some life experience.

• Advertisement

this has been my career dream since i was 10 or so years of age, iwas reared too have huge respect for all the emergency services and i really dont want too put my parents through the financial torture of sending me through college etc just too leave if i got through in the next recruitment drive, i wanted too get into the guards early so i could progress at a young age and be where i wanted by say 35-40 years of age, so i think 19 is the perfect age too join

when are the hoping too call the first batch for interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

go to college, get some work, travel

a school leaver is not a desirable candidate for AGS in my opinion

I have no doubt you will make a fine garda, but at 17/18 you wont

your better off growing as a person before you grow as a Garda

you have plenty of time on your hands in order to join

Scouser wrote: »
    go to college, get some work, travel

a school leaver is not a desirable candidate for AGS in my opinion

I have no doubt you will make a fine garda, but at 17/18 you wont

your better off growing as a person before you grow as a Garda

you have plenty of time on your hands in order to join

hi scouser, ill be closer too 20 by the time training starts and ive 2 first cousins who both joined the force when they were just outta school, 1 now a Sargent the other a detective in the drug squad and said it was the beast move they ever made, for my transition year a friend of the familys set it up so i could spend my work experience in a busy station, he showed me all the boring stuff as i wasn't allowed out in car, days on end in the courtroom all the paper work they have too do,an i loved it all it didnt deter even a little, i feel im doing the right thing at a young age and god willing ill get there too, thanks for reply appreciate it even if i dont totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

hi scouser, ill be closer too 20 by the time training starts and ive 2 first cousins who both joined the force when they were just outta school, 1 now a Sargent the other a detective in the drug squad and said it was the beast move they ever made, for my transition year a friend of the familys set it up so i could spend my work experience in a busy station, he showed me all the boring stuff as i wasn't allowed out in car, days on end in the courtroom all the paper work they have too do,an i loved it all it didnt deter even a little, i feel im doing the right thing at a young age and god willing ill get there too, thanks for reply appreciate it even if i dont totally agree

you know whats best for you!

just throwing in my tuppence worth

best of luck with it all

• Advertisement

Scouser wrote: »
    you know whats best for you!

just throwing in my tuppence worth

best of luck with it all

thanks for that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You might as well get your degree now because you won't get too far in the GS without it. The average age for joining Gardaí is 23 and majority have some form of third level education.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    You might as well get your degree now because you won't get too far in the GS without it. The average age for joining Gardaí is 23 and majority have some form of third level education.

and you know this how, there has been a recruitment freeze for how long? an that certainly wasn't the case years ago,so what are you basing that on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

and you know this how, there has been a recruitment freeze for how long? an that certainly wasn't the case years ago,so what are you basing that on?

"and that was the case several years ago"

Exactly. Several years ago you could get in to the Garda Siochana with the equivalent of a pass Leaving Certificate or alternative a pas in the Garda Entrance Exam which consisted of Irish English, General Knowledge and some Maths. That was then this is now.

The Garda College is a recognised third level institute with successful graduates being awarded a Diploma in Policing Studies.
    The majority of Gardaí recruited since the Garda College became a third level institute have some form of third level education BEFORE entering the college. This is not essential by any means but it is the situation.
    You can become all aggressive about this fact if you wish because the truth may not be agreeable to you but it is a fact.

I am simply advising this young man, as have the other reasonable posters, that he has plenty time. Get his Leaving cert, get life experience, engage in community activities and he will get his opportunity to apply in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Hiya Josh..

I don't think you can apply this time round. You need to have your leaving cert results with you at your interview.
    Your results need to be filled in on your form aswell after you pass aptitude stage. Its been an age now since I last did all this but if memory serves me right you need to fill them in. I think itwas on the BR form they went.

If you can apply, do. Defo.
    Not to rain on your parade but you could apply this time and not pass your aptitude test. Like any of us at the end of the day. Or you could blitz the test and go down at interview, again like any of us.
    Do what you think is right for you at the end of the day :)

good luck with it

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    "and that was the case several years ago"

Exactly. Several years ago you could get in to the Garda Siochana with the equivalent of a pass Leaving Certificate or alternative a pas in the Garda Entrance Exam which consisted of Irish English, General Knowledge and some Maths. That was then this is now.

The Garda College is a recognised third level institute with successful graduates being awarded a Diploma in Policing Studies.
    The majority of Gardaí recruited since the Garda College became a third level institute have some form of third level education BEFORE entering the college. This is not essential by any means but it is the situation.
    You can become all aggressive about this fact if you wish because the truth may not be agreeable to you but it is a fact.

I am simply advising this young man, as have the other reasonable posters, that he has plenty time. Get his Leaving cert, get life experience, engage in community activities and he will get his opportunity to apply in due course.

Aggressive? Ya i don't see where you got that from personally,i am involved in community activities, i'm also a member of the local civil defence, i've been in lourdes the last 3 years with the elderly in our community, i give most of my free time either playing GAA in our local club and with the county panel or coaching the under age teams,you seem too be a very factual man, you probably flood people with facts even confuse them along the way,i simply asked a question about exams i didn't come on here too be told "at 17 or 18 you won't make a good guard" thats not good advice... i had 2 first cousins both joined straight from school and have progressed through the ranks very quickly. your entitled too your opinion but i asked a question that i wasn't sure of the answer too, thats all.No Aggression from this end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Why not ask to meet your cousins and get all the info you need from them.
    They might have some good practical advice for you.

The garda that i know have all gone on to secure a Degree as promotion without one is getting more and more unlikely

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Hiya Josh..

I don't think you can apply this time round. You need to have your leaving cert results with you at your interview.
    Your results need to be filled in on your form aswell after you pass aptitude stage. Its been an age now since I last did all this but if memory serves me right you need to fill them in. I think itwas on the BR form they went.

If you can apply, do. Defo.
    Not to rain on your parade but you could apply this time and not pass your aptitude test. Like any of us at the end of the day. Or you could blitz the test and go down at interview, again like any of us.
    Do what you think is right for you at the end of the day :)

good luck with it

Hi Ann, thanks for the reply,i know and i'm gutted,god knows when the next round of recruitment will be, if i had stayed out of transition year id have my results since last year, like i said in an earlier post i don't see the point in giving 3 or 4 years in college too goo into the Gardaí then as a career, too me that just doesn't make sense, not too mention the financial burden it would have on my parents. Life is full of ifs and buts though ain't it? Thanks again appreciate it

Why not ask to meet your cousins and get all the info you need from them.
    They might have some good practical advice for you.

The garda that i know have all gone on to secure a Degree as promotion without one is getting more and more unlikely

There home in 3 weeks time for a family wedding so ya im hoping they will steer me right, although i wanted too kinda do this on my own, i don't like telling people what i'm doing for fear of failure if you get what i mean, probably a daft attitude but sadly always the way i am.Like going for my driving test :) all that knew was my mam and dad so if i failed i wouldn't have got the usual, "ah you'll get it next time,don't give up, keep at it" you know yourself i bet.

Advertisement