Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best wifi provider?

Options
  • 07-01-2014 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

I am looking for just wifi with no added tv or home phone service, Can anybody recommend the best provider for this? Any good deals per month?

I am also wondering what the wifi box by Vodafone is like - any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

If your in an efibre area vodafone/eircom are offering €35 a month iv just signed up myself, go to your nearest vodafone store and ask are you in a efibre area.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

jonon9 wrote: »
    If your in an efibre area vodafone/eircom are offering €35 a month iv just signed up myself, go to your nearest vodafone store and ask are you in a efibre area.

Thanks for the reply. Do you find the wifi good for streaming videos? would it be the same standard as upc do you know as I think prices are similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

My neighbor is using Vodafone efibre as well and his getting between 45-60mbits down and about 10-12 up. I was using wimax(terrible) I was on 7mbits down 0.5 up but I was stuck on a constant 1mbit this is why I'm changing.

As for UPC yes they are offering higher download speeds but where I'm living we don't have UPC so can really comment there, but if your streaming movies from the internet yes the more download speed the better.

If you can get away with it try connect your hub to the PC via network cable but if you cant a good quality WiFi card should work just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Wireless forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

No fixed provider sells wifi, they provide you internet access and give you a router with wifi capabilities. If you have problems they will tell you connect to the router by cable, if that works then they have fulfilled their deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP; where are you based?

Are you looking for a provider that will give you a box that you can get wireless from (that is connected to the phoneline), or are you looking for a provider that will give you a wireless dongle that you can access anywhere?

If the latter, you'll need to find the nearest mast, and check with people on what signal you get best in your area.

Example; due to the layout of the land, I can get great o2 reception (4 bars, and able to download small files with ease) when in Scartaglen, Kerry, but my father would get limited (maybe just barely one bar) reception in the same place with Vodafone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There are a couple of points to take into account in your search. Firstly no isp provides "wifi" as such - they provide you with a link to the internet which you then "spread" around your house using a wifi router. ISP's will not guarantee any standard of wifi performance as there are many variables which influence performance from the quality of the wifi router to the layout of the house itself or even interference from other wifi networks nearby.

Advertisement