Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freaking out about the future.

• 07-01-2014 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm mid-way through an IT BSc degree. I'm thinking of a career path that might lead to servers & networking. I have a choice between doing six months work experience or a Microsoft Server 2012 cert.

What's freaking me out is, I look at job sites and there's so few job listings in IT for a new comer / Graduate. It's all "2 to 5 years experience". Is there something I'm missing? Do I have to leave Ireland for work or is there some common knowledge I've overlooked, like "just apply directly to companies"?

How do I get my foot in the door after graduating?

(Thanks for any feedback. Apologies if this isn't directly related to this discussion board, but I didn't see any "IT Careers" discussion section)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Refine your search. You need to start in a support role and work your way up!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'm mid-way through an IT BSc degree. I'm thinking of a career path that might lead to servers & networking. I have a choice between doing six months work experience or a Microsoft Server 2012 cert.

What's freaking me out is, I look at job sites and there's so few job listings in IT for a new comer / Graduate. It's all "2 to 5 years experience". Is there something I'm missing? Do I have to leave Ireland for work or is there some common knowledge I've overlooked, like "just apply directly to companies"?

How do I get my foot in the door after graduating?

(Thanks for any feedback. Apologies if this isn't directly related to this discussion board, but I didn't see any "IT Careers" discussion section)

If I were you , and if I could afford it , I'd do the Server 2012 cert.
    If you're only starting out , it'll be good to have and distinguish yourself from the rest of the applicants. It'll be easier to do the cert now then when you're just in the door of a job trying to impress people and then go home and study.
    As the poster before me said , you'll be starting on service desk. Make your peace with that now. No one will let you straight in the door with no experience and drop you in a data center and ask you to run the place.

The important phrase you used is "that might lead to servers & networking" , no one comes in the door fully formed , start at the start , you might discover that service delivery is your thing. you may discover a hidden love of linux (nice money to be had there).

In short , there's no point in freaking out.Just be prepared to work rough or sketchy jobs at the start for little money. Sad to say but that's how I (and I'll bet most of the people here) started out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

horgan_p wrote: »
    If you're only starting out , it'll be good to have and distinguish yourself from the rest of the applicants. It'll be easier to do the cert now then when you're just in the door of a job trying to impress people and then go home and study.
    As the poster before me said , you'll be starting on service desk. Make your peace with that now. No one will let you straight in the door with no experience and drop you in a data center and ask you to run the place.

The important phrase you used is "that might lead to servers & networking" , no one comes in the door fully formed , start at the start , you might discover that service delivery is your thing. you may discover a hidden love of linux (nice money to be had there).

In short , there's no point in freaking out.Just be prepared to work rough or sketchy jobs at the start for little money. Sad to say but that's how I (and I'll bet most of the people here) started out.
    100 percent. I prob would try get job before the certs. a good company will pay for you to do those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cannonstrike

horgan_p wrote: »

Thanks a lot for the response. Do you know the best sites for finding this kind of work, and which ones lead to nothing? Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks a lot for the response. Do you know the best sites for finding this kind of work, and which ones lead to nothing? Thanks again :)

No job leads to nothing at the start, especially in IT. But if you chose to not upskill to the next job while in the current, in times like this there will be little opportunity for you.

This would the the ideal starting point for a IT support role. If its a actual job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement