Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Memory for Games

• 07-01-2014 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. My memory for video games is terrible, so I forgot about 80% of what happened in a game soon after I play it.

There are a few exceptions to this but in general it's very frustrating and I feel like it tarnishes my enjoyment of them a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Gameplay moments or plot?

I forget the plot of 99% of games because they are mostly just terrible afterthoughts. But I remember great gameplay moments forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

How soon after you play it are we talking ?

Are we talking about forgetting certain plot points in a metal gear story a month later, or why mario is visiting castles immediately after play ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's a bit odd tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I'll give you guys an example. Fallout 3 is probably my second favourite game of all time (after Ocarina of Time) but as I try and recall the game now I can only remember the jist of the main storyline and I forget the majority of the side quests and characters.

The reason I posted this is because lots of people on here have incredibly vivid memories of games, which I rarely have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Depends on the game tbh, some parts are just chores to get through others you relish the particular level or boss or whatever. Replaying stuff has a lot to do with that as well, I can still remember 8 and 16bit games like the back of my hand due to the sheer amount of times we played the same games as kids in the days before having our own money and relying on birthdays and Christmas for games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'm the exact same as you, OP. I can play a game, love it and finish it (or play a hell of a lot of it at least) and a few months later, I'll have forgotten the vast majority of it. I'll remember playing it and I'll remember some the main plot but mostly, I'll have forgotten the side quests, NPC names, location names and plenty of other stuff. Your example of Fallout 3 is a perfect one. I loved that game and played it for ages. I can remember playing it and I can remember certain stand out parts but if someone was to say to me "yeah, Fallout 3, do you remember the bit in the <place> with the <thing> and the fight with the <creature>, chances are I'll be looking at them blankly.
    I have tried to work this to my advantage and replay old games as if they were new and to some extent it works but there is a very annoying feeling of deja vu through the whole thing which ends up bugging me and I move on to something new instead.
    It isn't just games either, it's the same with books. I read all of the Song of Ice and Fire books years ago but never watched the TV show. When everyone was freaking about the Red Wedding a while back, I honestly couldn't remember any of it taking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Only way to get rid of a bad memory is practice. Read more. Write more. Do a little mathematics or something. Play some puzzle games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I'll give you guys an example. Fallout 3 is probably my second favourite game of all time (after Ocarina of Time) but as I try and recall the game now I can only remember the jist of the main storyline and I forget the majority of the side quests and characters.

The reason I posted this is because lots of people on here have incredibly vivid memories of games, which I rarely have.

I'm just like that. Fallout 3 is a favourite of mine but I could only tell you what the main plot was about and I remember some of the memorable missions, but all the sidequests and the characters involved? Not a chance. For me its more about the moments and experiences you have along the way. Like when you are out wandering and meet Dogmeat. Then you realize he's going to be a companion that will explore the world with you. Or the times when he get's killed and you just HAVE to re-load a savegame ;) Thats the good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I've a terrible memory myself generally. I look for the good in it though. It means I can enjoy subsequent playthroughs (when I feel enough time has passed) a lot more than if I remembered everything. I wouldn't forget everything, now, but I'd forget a lot. Enough the revisit is warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I'll give you guys an example. Fallout 3 is probably my second favourite game of all time (after Ocarina of Time) but as I try and recall the game now I can only remember the jist of the main storyline and I forget the majority of the side quests and characters
    That's because Fallout 3's story, characters and quests were entirely forgettable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I never remember the stories from games. Unless its a fantastic story. That's rare, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

That sounds amazing! That means you could play a game you love over and over and it'd be like the first time playing it each time! I remember too much and can never play certain games again. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

My memory's not the best either. I'm not at the point where I'm tattooing reminders on my body but I'm getting there. I know if I stop playing a game for a long time for some reason when I go back to it, I have to restart from the beginning since I can't remember controls or where I have and haven't gone. Took many attempts to finish Metroid Prime 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Sarky wrote: »
    Only way to get rid of a bad memory is practice. Read more. Write more. Do a little mathematics or something. Play some puzzle games.

I actually play a lot of word and maths puzzle games on my phone and do quizzes and puzzles to keep my memory at the (albeit poor) level it is at now. If I stopped those, I'd probably forget my own name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Reekwind wrote: »
    That's because Fallout 3's story, characters and quests were entirely forgettable

Haha nicely done ;)

I really fell in love with that game, I can't understand how so many people hated it!

Also thanks to all the other lads who have reported the same issue, makes me feel less weird!

I better buy the ds brain training games and see if that helps.

Advertisement