Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with leaving cert Irish question??

• 07-01-2014 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

The question is cen eifeacht a bhaineann le husaid luibini sa dan seo (is leor pointe amhain eolais) 6marks this question is related to the poetry section I've read the book inside out and still can't come to terms with an accurate answer when I read the Irish question I know it's somethin along the lines of why or what's the use of the brackets and I know the title means my love in brackets ,I'm looking for an answer from someone who is used to these question types and knows this poem well a teacher or anyone! Im quiet stuck and can't afford to go to pass! Please RSVP

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Before anyone else jumps in to do your homework for you, could you at least post some of your own ideas here? Start in English if you have to.
    It's a 6 mark question, so you only really need a few sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lauradella

I know in sorry well I know what the title and question is asking I think, if I was to guess the answer I'd think it's in brackets because the poet nuala is mocking him for being ugly but she still loves him because he's kind and generous and gives her apples!? But does that even make sense! I've no confidence in that answer whatsoever but I tried that's what my idea of it is? Anyone know better??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Lauradella wrote: »
    I know in sorry well I know what the title and question is asking I think, if I was to guess the answer I'd think it's in brackets because the poet nuala is mocking him for being ugly but she still loves him because he's kind and generous and gives her apples!? But does that even make sense! I've no confidence in that answer whatsoever but I tried that's what my idea of it is? Anyone know better??

You're definitely on the right track here. It can be hard when you're not sure what the question means. In this case it's what effect do the brackets have. There are other places in the poem with brackets. I mightn't go so far as to say she is mocking him outright, more a gentle sort of mocking. He's not perfect but he's hers! As previously mentioned this is a 6 mark question, try to compose a sentence about each time brackets are found. What is the poet saying and what does she say in the brackets then? A sentence to close referring back to the question will end, eg. The brackets are effective because they tell us...? Remember also for this paper your grammar etc is less important than anywhere else in your Irish exam. Try to get your points across using simple short sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lauradella

I genuinely love you? Lol why can't my Irish teacher be more like you I failed Xmas test and am doing corrections you see , I just want to make things write! But I can't aford to go to pass with the points I need to be a nurse!!! But the teacher is threatening me to do pass and to talk about it at home I really have to fight for it!! I need a b3 in leaving! AnywaysI understand you completely! Thanks so much it's been keeping me up all night! I'll be happy going into school tomoroww you made my night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Lauradella wrote: »
    I genuinely love you? Lol why can't my Irish teacher be more like you I failed Xmas test and am doing corrections you see , I just want to make things write! But I can't aford to go to pass with the points I need to be a nurse!!! But the teacher is threatening me to do pass and to talk about it at home I really have to fight for it!! I need a b3 in leaving! AnywaysI understand you completely! Thanks so much it's been keeping me up all night! I'll be happy going into school tomoroww you made my night![/quote/]

I'm glad you understood me! There's a huge difference between what's expected at honours and pass. See how the mocks go, and work as hard as you can for them. The very best of luck to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement