Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of Hostel/Activities centre in Connemara?

Options
  • 07-01-2014 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Looking to find out the name of a hostel / activities centre in Connemara. I was down there yeas ago on a school tour. I remember the twelve bens out the window think they were across a lake. If my memory is right when walking into the hostels main gates the twelve bens would be on the left side of the building.

I also remember the rooms there like wooden shelf bunk beds with basic thin mattresses (like them blue mats from PE!) you had to bring a sleeping bad. They use to bang pots in the morning to wake ya too.

They brought us hill climbing (through bog in which I lost my footwear!) the hill took about 2 hours and remember it over looked the hostel. Also went absailing, orienting and canoeing.

Anyone that can name the place??

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Little Killary or Delphi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I thought kayaking in a place very similar when I was in college. I was helping out a friend whose secondary school used to go there at the end of every school year. Can't remember the name or find it listed on the interweb

We brought them kayaking and hiking in the woods overlooking the hostel.

It was located here

You'll see it better on bing maps but don't know how to post a geo-referenced link.....edit...here is the bing link

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I thought kayaking in a place very similar when I was in college. I was helping out a friend whose secondary school used to go there at the end of every school year. Can't remember the name or find it listed on the interweb

It was located here

You'll see it better on bing maps but don't know how to post a geo-referenced link.....edit...here is the bing link

There used to be an adventure center there a few years back. I think it was operated by the" Galway outdoor education centre ltd" who now operate a surf school in achill.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

teR_ wrote: »
    Looking to find out the name of a hostel / activities centre in Connemara. I was down there yeas ago on a school tour. I remember the twelve bens out the window think they were across a lake. If my memory is right when walking into the hostels main gates the twelve bens would be on the left side of the building.

Anyone that can name the place??

Was it Ben lettery youth hostel which is operated by http://www.anoige.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭teR_

98% sure this is the one thanks a lot stampy. If the name of the place ever comes back to you post it up. Was cool place down there fairly rough and ready no fancy rooms just raised wooden benches, everyone thrown in one room together. Great memories...

It was located here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Was it near Clonbur or Joyce country? It might be Petersburg
    http://www.petersburg.ie/

Advertisement