Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Matches of 2014

• 07-01-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭

Much like last year, WrestleKingdom has to kick us off. Think this will end up becoming a tradition.

Goto vs Shibata
    Okada vs Naito
    Nakamura vs Tanahashi

All deserve to be seen. Devitt vs Ibushi and the Juniors tag are also very good.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Not an absolute upper tier match but I still think you should watch it. The last match of the annual interpromotional New Japan and Mexico's CMLL combined tour of Japan.

NWA World Historic Welterweight Title: Volador Jr.(c) vs. Mascara Dorada

Time mark 2hr 7min mark or so

As for the match, this wasn’t so much a match as it was a spectacle. One big dive and flying maneuver after another. I’m not even sure how to rate this or describe it. They were doing things I’ve seen before, things I’ve never seen before, things I thought I’ve seen before but taken to new levels, and i’m pretty sure they invented a few things as they went along. The body control displayed by these men was nothing short of amazing, as at times they seemed to be floating in the air. In some ways it was similar to the World 1 vs Mad Blankey tag match from Dragon Gate at Kobe World, except this was even more of a spotfest, with one big dive/springboard/tope/suicide attempt after another.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/01/19/new-japancmll-fantasticamania-119-review/

Tore the house down

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

Trent Barrera v Anthony Nese the opening match from Evolve 25.

What a match! Sorry on my phone can't link but it's up on watchwrestling.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Angle vs Roode from this week's Impact is likely going to be a TNA MOTYC.

Borderline pick but AJ Styles vs Roderick Strong is really good in places. Available here for next few days:
    http://www.rohwrestling.com/tv/current

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Wyatt vs Bryan at Royal Rumble and Bryan vs Orton on Raw were excellent matches.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    Borderline pick but AJ Styles vs Roderick Strong is really good in places. Available here for next few days:
    http://www.rohwrestling.com/tv/current

I also have to give a vote for this. A little sloppy in spots but the vast majority is top quality.

Nigel is also the first person I've heard in a long time that can pronounce Pele properly.

Abyss vs Eric Young from Impact is also worth watching.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I also have to give a vote for this. A little sloppy in spots but the vast majority is top quality.

Yeah that's the thing there's some premium level exchanges there but there were some extremely sloppy mistakes. I don't think Roderick has wrestled since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Tanahashi vs. Nakamura from todays show. Better than their WrestleKingdom match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

I would Second that really great match.

• Advertisement

Okada vs. Goto was really great and Ishii vs. Naito was excellent, my MOTY so far.

Apart from one part of the Ishii vs Naito match going wrong it's my moty so far to also helps that's i'm a Ishii mark.

And here it is http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k4Z5ayHU2aPbgM5qDUo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm gonna nominate Cena vs Cesaro from 17/2/14's Raw as WWE Match of the Year so far. It was intense, the crowd were dead into it and it went a good length and got Cesaro over huge. Some great spots like the top rope Suplex and the AA reversal. Cesaro is the real deal.

Unless ROH has a crap year, it wont be in contention at the end but Lethal vs Ciampa vs Traven from the weekly show on the 8th was really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

With the cross over between NJPW and ROH later this year, me thinks these shows could have a few contenders depending on whos facing who

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think The Wyatt Family Family vs. The Shield from last night's Elimination Chamber can be considered one of the best matches of 2014

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I think The Wyatt Family Family vs. The Shield from last night's Elimination Chamber can be considered one of the best matches of 2014

It was a snoozefest until the rules went out the window. Cena vs Cesaro was light years ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It was a snoozefest until the rules went out the window. Cena vs Cesaro was light years ahead of it.

Fair enough it was a snooze til the rule book was tossed out the window, but how many heel factions can get a crowd cheering for them before anything has kicked off properly, Cesaro vs. Cena was also a good match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Yeah the lack of physicality on the lead up to the match made it far more intriguing.
    And it was great to see Rollins step out from the shadows and prove he's not just a 3rd wheel.

Zayn vs Cesaro from NXT Arrival.

PWG match on WWE TV. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Match was amazing as good on anything on WWE tv in a long time ,Crazy that they rarely have matchs of this quality when they easily have the personell to do it

rovert wrote: »
    Zayn vs Cesaro from NXT Arrival.

PWG match on WWE TV. Madness.

This isnt another overhype job like last year is it?

Nope it was really good.

Depends on your tastes. Probably better live/in the moment too. But I've seen people rate it between ***3/4-****3/4. Also people I thought who would rate it lower rated it higher than I expected and visa versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've just seen the Zayn / Cesaro match now... amazing. That is all:):):)

Didnt think it was anything special. Good, but not something I'd care enough to watch again. Cesaro regularly has matches of a similar standard.

On another note, those NXT fans are easy to impress. A holy shit chant for an upper cut, and a this is awesome chant for a double stomp. Have they never seen wrestling before, or are they just incredibly easy to impress?

Didnt think it was anything special. Good, but not something I'd care enough to watch again. Cesaro regularly has matches of a similar standard.

On another note, those NXT fans are easy to impress. A holy shit chant for an upper cut, and a this is awesome chant for a double stomp. Have they never seen wrestling before, or are they just incredibly easy to impress?
    Wow you have high standards if you didnt think that was anything special.

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    Wow you have high standards if you didnt think that was anything special.

It wasnt a bad match, it just wasnt anything amazing like it has been hyped.

Echoing the praise for the Zayn/Cesaro match. Just a superb match and a great story. Some mind blowing stuff in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

It wasnt a bad match, it just wasnt anything amazing like it has been hyped.

In fairness, it was head and shoulders above most stuff WWE have put on PPVs in recent times. It was amazing - if you didn't consider that match amazing, what do you consider to be? (Not nitpicking here, just genuinely interested)

Advertisement