Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Matches of 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

robvondoom wrote: »
    Very decent match, pretty much ruined by the commentary team's complete inability to convey urgency, excitement or indeed anything of any relevance or benefit to the match itself. Just an apathetic, droning mush of catchphrases, buzz words and clichés along with constant reminders of things that happened recently. I'm at the point where I feel like literally begging WWE to give me a Saxton/Regal play by play/colour combination. Christ, at this stage I'd take an Adamle/Tenay booth over these b@stards any day of the week.

It'd be the same **** cause they're all going be produced by the same chap. An announcer shuffle would just change the puppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Ishii vs Ibushi from today New Japan show,Ishii is on some roll this year and imo he's far and away the best in the world so far this year.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wmaqj_never-openweight-title-match-tomohiro-ishii-c-vs-kota-ibushi-njpw-5-25-14_sport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The main event on that show of AJ Styles vs Okada main event is certainly worth recommending too.

From the new Observer Ishii vs Ibushi netted a well deserved ****3/4 and Dave said that Ishii has to be the Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Year so far.

The #1 contender tag match got ****, and Okada/Styles ****1/2.

• Advertisement

Lads if you haven't seen this watch it before Raw:

Kota Ibushi vs Ricochet:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zyt9o_kota-ibushi-vs-ricochet-njpw-dominion-6-21-2014_sport#from=embediframe

Hard one to give a pre-ample to. Going in people thought it was the biggest New Japan Super Juniors (Cristerweight/X-Division) title match in ten years with every reason. It was argued it should have headlined the PPV. However it JUST was ****1/4-****1/2. For shame. :p

Shorter than expected so you would have assume they are building up to a bigger match down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I thought it was every bit as good as I was expecting. That Super Frankensteiner spot was bonkers. The opener and the Shibata/Goto tag on that show are great aswell.

RJcshUc.jpg

The Young Bucks tag match:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zzaxl_time-splitters-alex-shelley-kushida-vs-the-young-bucks-njpw-dominion-6-21-2014_sport

Wouldn't go as far as Dave did by about a half a star but it is an epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I hate 1/4 stars. 1/2 is loads, just leave it at that. Otherwise we'll end up with ****7/8 ratings in the future.

• Advertisement

Ok.

rovert wrote: »
    Ok.

Great contribution.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Great contribution.

That's rich.

The thread is about Best Matches. Star ratings are a reference point nothing more.

Feel free to comment on or post matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Think quarter and half star ratings are daft myself. The system Meltzer/Cornette popularised is the only one of its kind I've seen th use them in (as opposed to film ratings for eg.) But Rovert's spot on, they are merely a reference point and one I often find helpful.

That's rich.

The thread is about Best Matches. Star ratings are a reference point nothing more.

Feel free to comment on or post matches.

I commented about the system used for rating matches. You responded like an ass. If you have nothing to say, dont say anything.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I commented about the system used for rating matches. You responded like an ass. If you have nothing to say, dont say anything.

Nah you are just doing your recently acquired non-constructive contrarian schtick.

Like the TNA thread the other night you would be better off explaining yourself in a thoughtful or respectful manner. Not looking for essays either.

Nah you are just doing your recently acquired non-constructive contrarian schtick.

Like the TNA thread the other night you would be better off explaining yourself in a thoughtful or respectful manner. Not looking for essays either.

What exactly is their to explain?

I said I hate the 1/4 stars in ratings. They arent needed. I always ignore the quarter star ratings and round off to halves. 10 possible grades (11 if you count 0) so it's a straightforward 1-10 scale. The vast majority of stuff, be it music, movies, whatever, is rated out of ten. Quarter stars are just being incredibly picky.

The match of moment among hardcore fans.

Would love to make a reaction video of some of you lads watching it though.

Two men in short trunks grappling British style in front of an intimate audience of other men in a small warehouse:

Not something you want other people walking in on.

Seriously if you like Cesaro, William Regal, World of Sport etc you will love this.

Just watched it great stuff easily in my top ten matches of the year so far really hard hitting strikes and superb chain wrestling but as Rovert says it's not for everybody.

Catching up on some stuff i didn't get around to watching from earlier in year and came across this from DDT in Japan

DDT HARASHIMA (C) vs Masa Takahashi KO-D Openweight Title 2/23/14

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1fshsp_ddt-into-the-fight-2014-23-02-2014-2-2_sport (about 25 minutes in)

I'd seen this touted as a potential motyc in some places but had never really heard of the two guys before,all i can say is imo it's definitely a motyc some really good matwork for the first half of the match leading to some nice elbows and slap exchanges to one of the most brutal finishes i have seen in years really good stuff here.

• Advertisement

Top 10 WWE matches this year according to wwe.com.

10. Ziggler vs Bad News Barrett- Raw June 23

9.Daniel Bryan vs Triple H- WM 30

8. Orton vs Bryan vs Cena vs Cesaro vs Sheamus vs Christian (Elimination Chamber)

7. John Cena vs Cesaro- Raw Feb 17

6. Daniel Bryan vs Bray Wyatt- Royal Rumble

5. The Shield vs Evolution- Payback

4. Sami Zayn vs Cesaro- NXT ArRival

3. Orton vs Batista vs Daniel Bryan- WM 30

2. Natalya vs Charlotte- NXT Takeover

1. The Shield vs The Wyatts- Elimination Chamber

It has been a good half year

Cena vs Cesaro should be way higher. I'd probably have it number one or two, but it should definitely be top three.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

Cesaro and Orton had a match in February that would be on that list if only it hadn't happened on Smackdown. No Zayn/Breeze is kind of a travesty and all. Still though, the fact there's a bunch of matches that should be on the list is pretty great.

From this morning's New Japan G-1 Tournament opening day:
    Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, G1 Climax Night 1, 7/21/14
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomoaki Honma, G1 Climax Night 1, 7/21/14
    AJ Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada, G1 Climax Night 1, 7/21/14

It was better than Battleground!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I also would have swapped HHH/Bryan with Bryan/Orton/Batista

On that AJ Styles vs Okada match:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21ui8q_g1-climax-2014-block-b-match-aj-styles-vs-kazuchika-okada_sport

Meltzer raved about it. Saying it was the best AJ Styles he has ever seen in terms of ring generalship and in athleticism. Fully expect it to be 7 stars in the Observer Newsletter this week. Personally had it at **** - it is VERY good with some cool "Wrestlemania" vibes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Ambrose vs Rollins at Battleground.

Oh wait... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

On the Styles/Okada match, it is very good but I thought most of the other top matches on the show were better than it. Certainly wouldn't rave about it or anything.

Just watch the G1 ok

• Advertisement

LISTEN TO THE MAN.

Advertisement