Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Matches of 2014

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26ed7t_hiroshi-tanahashi-vs-katsuyori-shibata_sport

Just fucking awesome. They had a great match during the G1 also but the story here puts this above it for me. I'll be shocked if it isn't one of the front runners for the MOTY award.

Meltzer gave this the full five stars and I don't see it at all. I think you are the third person I've seen online to consider it that high or so. Personally that the G1 match was better. The forearm exchanges did nothing for me and the finish lacked drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

I'm with Rovert on this one. When all was said and done with the match I had a serious "is that it" feeling coming away from it. Had some great moments and told a good story but just left me feeling decidedly "meh". Could be down to the fact that my boy Shibata lost or perhaps just a case of over hyping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

rovert wrote: »
    Meltzer gave this the full five stars and I don't see it at all. I think you are the third person I've seen online to consider it that high or so. Personally that the G1 match was better. The forearm exchanges did nothing for me and the finish lacked drama.

If you take both matches as a one off, the G1 is likely the better match. But when you take the overall story into account, I like this one better.

People often write off matches like this because they don't speak Japanese so don't know the story. If you (not you personally) can't figure out that the story is basically these two fucking hated each other and have grown to earn each other's respect then you probably should just give up watching wrestling. I like this one more because of that story and history. This was the end of a long rivalry between the two. Just listen to the big pop for a simple handshake at the end.

Understood the story perfectly. Read the translations of Tanahashi autobiography and all that too. Still don't think the story was worth a full star extra.

On paper what you said and think you about the match sounds amazing but in execution but the body of match was a let down to most.

Full Metal Meyham from Wednesday's Impact is class. Hardy's and 3D rolling back the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Still have three matches to watch on today's New Japan show but Ishii vs Yujiro is great Ishii is a miracle maker easily the best match of Yujiro's career.

[url] http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27ua2n_never-openweight-championship-match-yujiro-takahashi-c-vs-tomohiro-ishii-njpw-10-12-14_sport[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Absolutely love how behind Ishii the crowd is during that match, makes every nearfall brilliant.

Main event between Tanahashi and AJ was something else too especially the last 10 minutes really good show today.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27u8d4_iwgp-heavyweight-championship-match-aj-styles-c-vs-hiroshi-tanahashi-njpw-10-12-14_sport

Styles has been in amazing form this year. Almost every (singles) match he has is great.

TNA should have done everything they could to keep him and just send him out to wrestle without any stupid storylines.

I was a little disappointed with the Styles/Tanahashi match. It was good but I didn't think it anything special.

• Advertisement

I was a little disappointed with the Styles/Tanahashi match. It was good but I didn't think it anything special.

I didn't think it's a strong motyc or anything just that I went unspoiled so I really enjoyed all the craziness in the last few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Motion118

I can't wait to get around to watching King of Pro Wrestling.

It's good to hear that the main event delivered, AJ really has been tearing it up in New Japan since his arrival.

Also surprised to see high praise coming from a Yujiro match, but I guess that's from the work of Ishii more than anything else. That guy seems to be able to get a great match out of anybody.

Zack Sabre Jr vs Kyle O'Reilly from BOLA night three is a great match my favorite singles match from BOLA this year and the six man with Mount Rushmore vs Omega/Taylor and Sabre from night one is really good aswell.

ACH vs Kenny Omega from BOLA night 2 is something else. Incredibly entertaining if nothing else.

Meltzer called the clipped/edited TV version of this match one of the best TV matches of the year. Lucha Underground have since put out the full match:

I wouldn't rave about it as much as Meltzer did but it is very good.

Ridiculously good Ishii/Goto match from this mornings New Japan show:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29nd88_never-openweight-championship-match-tomohiro-ishii-c-vs-hirooki-goto-11-8-14_sport

There's not a wrestler in the world that comes close to how good Ishii has been this year.

Zack Sabre Jr vs Shinsuke Nakamura from Rev Pro is amazing similar in ways to the ROH Steen match but with some great as usual arm work from Zack and Nakamura brings his best.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k1QCVp85PMauxa943zn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Dolph Ziggler vs Tyson Kidd vs. Cesaro from Smackdown

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2a98s8_dz-vs-ac-vs-tk_sport

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Takashi Sugiura,NOAH Global league Final November 8th 2014

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2aabha_daisuke-sekimoto-vs-takashi-sugiura-noah_sport

The final of NOAH's version of the G1 and easily their match of the year just a crazy stiff war,Sekimoto imo is one of the top ten workers in the world he's had some unbelievably good matches this year i just wish we could get him and Ishii in a match together.

• Advertisement

Jun Akiyama & Takao Omori vs Kento Miyahara & Go Shiozaki,AJPW Real World Tag League Final December 6th 2014

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c4h1t_go-shiozaki-kento-miyahara-vs-jun-akiyama-takao-omori-ajpw_sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

So who gets MOTY 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Cianan2 wrote: »
    So who gets MOTY 2014?

The PW boards awards finished up voting today. We'll know when the results are tallied up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

This thread is more recommended matches I think really, isn't it? I've enjoyed this thread a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This thread is more recommended matches I think really, isn't it? I've enjoyed this thread a lot.

If anyone wants to find it in the future for recommended best matches from the year 2014 check the hot links sticky for a link but now its being unstuck to be replaced by the 2015 version

Advertisement