Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic or not organic ??

Options
  • 07-01-2014 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im trying to change my whole diet to eat whole fresh foods but its just so confusing.

For example - yesterday i bought flahavans 100% organic oats (porridge) - came home and then saw in some tiny corner "rolled oats"

so basically they are processed

Im finding it very difficult to get foods that are whole grain / organic and not processed in any way

What is the best way to do this ? Grow everything myself, not sure thats an option really

Another example , you can buy organic fruit online (fruit thats not grown in Ireland i.e. grapefruit etc. How do we know this is organic ? How do we know what the farmer in their local country has done ?

Also , you think you are buying healthy oil with don carlos extra virgin olive oil but its not healthy as its not cold pressed and is processed

Any ideas on how to do this properly ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

mickman wrote: »
    Hi

Im trying to change my whole diet to eat whole fresh foods but its just so confusing.

For example - yesterday i bought flahavans 100% organic oats (porridge) - came home and then saw in some tiny corner "rolled oats"

so basically they are processed

Im finding it very difficult to get foods that are whole grain / organic and not processed in any way

What is the best way to do this ? Grow everything myself, not sure thats an option really

Another example , you can buy organic fruit online (fruit thats not grown in Ireland i.e. grapefruit etc. How do we know this is organic ? How do we know what the farmer in their local country has done ?

Also , you think you are buying healthy oil with don carlos extra virgin olive oil but its not healthy as its not cold pressed and is processed

Any ideas on how to do this properly ?

Processed doesn't mean bad - processes have been used to make foods consumable for as long as food itself. A process is just a means to get food a certain way - like baking bread. Cutting wheat is processing, just as rolling the oats is a process to make it so you can eat porridge. It doesn't mean it's been messed with in any way. The oats have been grown organically, that's mostly what organic means. They just roll them so you can eat them a certain way, as people have been doing for centuries before mass production and supermarkets. I think you're over reacting to a lot of "processing" that goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

fair enough , i probably am

fair enough , i probably am

I don't know much about the olive oil or foreign fruits, but I'd say don't worry about the porridge and stuff - oats have been rolled as long as they've been eaten, it won't harm you! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I don't know much about the olive oil or foreign fruits, but I'd say don't worry about the porridge and stuff - oats have been rolled as long as they've been eaten, it won't harm you! ;)

Ok thanks. not harming me is one thing but i would like them to do me good :-)

Ok thanks. not harming me is one thing but i would like them to do me good :-)

Ah yeah, but with something like that, you're literally not taking anything away - simply making it into another usable form by a process. You can even get your own oat rolling kits: http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/oat-rolling-kit.htm

If you're really worried about it, that might be worth a shot, but honestly no harm, still as good for you as always! Bear in mind, that's an American website - a lot of their shop bought porridge would have a lot more additives and processing than ours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

have you tried rapeseed oil?

http://www.rapeseed-oil.ie/

Advertisement