Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB want to charge $80 to lodge US cheque

Options
  • 07-01-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

So, I sent a US cheque home to be lodged into my PTSB account. It's $200.

PTSB want to charge $80 to lodge it! That's insane.

Is there an alternative... I have US friends, I guess I could send it to them, and have them PayPal me... but that's so messy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Unfortunately no, from other recent threads on this same subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Ye, just talked to them there, they're dropping this service, what a $hit bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

bacon? wrote: »
    Is there an alternative...

Apparently Ulster Bank have very low fees for USD cheques. Maybe you know someone with an Ulster Bank account who could lodge the cheque and wire the cash to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Never use cheques accross international boarders if you can help it. It costs too much and ends up just being wired anyway.

1)Irish bank takes cheque & sends it to the Bank it's drawn on in the US. This is sent by post.

2) US bank takes the cheque and puts it through it's own clearing.

3) US Bank then wires the money to Ireland. (Probably via an Agent bank)

This process takes weeks & each bank is going to take a fee from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why would you use a cheque in 2014 with much quicker and cheaper choices like PayPal or just a simple bank wire?

• Advertisement
Advertisement