Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64GB USB Key suddenly not working

Options
  • 07-01-2014 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

All,

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this.

I have a Corsair 64GB USB key, when I plug it in the little LED blinks as normal but my laptop nor several other machines I have tried will recognize it.

When I go to Device Manager it says drivers are installed correctly. I have already tried uninstalling and re-installing drivers.

The only thing I want is to recover the data on the USB key, if I have to throw it out I don't really care once the data has been copied from it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I've had at least 4 of the 32GB Corsair and all went that way after a few weeks.
    Blinking led and nothing else. Couldnt do anything with them even with Corsair recovery tools. Into the bin they went and never again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

USB Key are simply not a secure way of backing up data. You could try one more computer. If you manage to get it to open you can back your docs up to your dropbox account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Corsair usually have very highly rated customer care though from my experience with returning RAM and headsets, they literally pay for the shipping to send it back and immediately send out a replacement / upgrade no questions asked. I would certainly ask Corsair for advice first - but they'll probably tell you to try their recovery tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Thanks for the replies.

Bin it is then. I can recover the info by trawling through about 25000 emails but I'd prefer if it was easier.

In that case anyone recommend a good small portable hard drive that is more secure than these USB jobbies? Price not too important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A USB Key/Thumb drive may be ok *IF* you have a second source. If the data wasn't personally sensitive then i'd be happy enough with a google/microsoft/dropbox online backup scenario to compliment a USB key. Just make sure you regularly sync when you update.

Re: drives in general. Eventually they will all die. Hard disk, USB Key, SSD. They have a mean time between failure quoted and you may be lucky to be out on the edge of their failure measurement, but it could just as easy be at the "sooner" end of their measurement. Eitherways it will be a time bomb waiting to happen. Spread out the risk to more than one location / device if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    If the data wasn't personally sensitive then i'd be happy enough with a google/microsoft/dropbox online backup scenario to compliment a USB key.

Even if it is sensitive, you can always use a TrueCrypt file container with a strong password.
    Then store the TrueCrypt file on google/microsoft/dropbox online backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SEE here ,
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/storage/3219375/top-10-best-portable-hard-drives/

http://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/usb-flash-drive.htm

try recuva free program.
    i,d buy a drive from western digital, eg company with support and free utilitys to check drive , testing software,
    NOT the cheapest drive in the shop,
    backup to dropbox, google drive etc.
    at least 3 places.
    or another external drive.

There,s programs that recover data from usb drives,
    even if the logical, partition data layout, is gone,
    ie they recover the raw data ,files.
    all drives wear out, and die,
    ssd drives have limited read /write cycles,
    its easy to backup,
    IF data is of value.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/

testdisk and photorec can recover lost files,

TRY photorec first, to recover files,
    testdisk is designed if theres a lost partition,
    or to undelete, files and general data recovery.

Advertisement