Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone weather app displaying wrong location name

• 07-01-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had this before? I live on the outskirts of Carlow town and my weather app displays my location as Ballincarrig, a small rural area a few miles away. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious as to why the app doesn't seem to know my location. Is it a mapping issue on Yahoo's side?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Happens on most iPhones apparently. The reason is probably that the GPS can only pinpoint your location within a particular distance that's outside your local area boundary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

It happens on my wife, my daughter and my own iPhone here.

All 3 of us could be in the same room and have different locations showing on them ... and none of them the right one :)

It never bothers us as the weather here is usually the same as it is at the location showing on the app :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

brophs wrote: »
    Has anyone had this before? I live on the outskirts of Carlow town and my weather app displays my location as Ballincarrig, a small rural area a few miles away. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious as to why the app doesn't seem to know my location. Is it a mapping issue on Yahoo's side?

How did it establish your location ? Did you add your town in the settings ? the iPhone weather app does not use your location services to establish your location afaik. Someone must have aded Ballincarrig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Piliger wrote: »
    How did it establish your location ? Did you add your town in the settings ? the iPhone weather app does not use your location services to establish your location afaik. Someone must have aded Ballincarrig.
    Yes it does, there's even a tab in the weather app to check the weather at your location.

guil wrote: »
    Yes it does, there's even a tab in the weather app to check the weather at your location.

Not in mine. I have iPhone5 and iOS 7.0.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭shanec1928

you enable it in settings. Mine was showing the right location up until a month ago when it started showing a area a few miles away

shanec1928 wrote: »
    you enable it in settings. Mine was showing the right location up until a month ago when it started showing a area a few miles away

Cannot find this. Sure you are using iOS7 ? Anyway ... have you actually tried to add Carlow as a location ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Piliger wrote:
    Cannot find this. Sure you are using iOS7 ?

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

No one added Ballincarrig. There are several saved locations, none of which I'm referring to. The top location, which is by default your current location and can't be deleted, says Ballincarrig, even though I'm in Carlow.

Look at the symbol for location services.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Look at the symbol for location services.

Yes. But a) there is no settings for finding your current location in the Settings as you claim. and b) it shows that symbol in every location page.

So I still am convinced that the Ballincarrig location was set in the past and does not represent the phone saying you are in Ballincarrig. I would suggest the OP add Carlow, and deleting Ballincarrig. I would also suggest a hard reset in order to reset the current location setting.

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Weather
    That is not a Weather setting but a phone setting. If the current location was set when the phone was physically in Ballincarrig it may have fixed on that location. See my follow up post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Yes. But a) there is no settings for finding your current location in the Settings as you claim. and b) it shows that symbol in every location page.

So I still am convinced that the Ballincarrig location was set in the past and does not represent the phone saying you are in Ballincarrig. I would suggest the OP add Carlow, and deleting Ballincarrig. I would also suggest a hard reset in order to reset the current location setting.

As I've already said, Ballincarrig was neither added nor can it be deleted. At the top of the weather app your current location is listed. As I'm in Carlow it should say Carlow, but it says Ballincarrig, a few miles away, also in Carlow. I've deleted all other locations and done a hard reset. By all means try to delete your current location. It won't work. By default the app will always show at least one location: your current location.

Really? No setting?

When I'm at my parents' house in Kerry, my 5S goes bonkers. The weather app gets my location perfectly but Siri says I'm in Munster - a bit generic! Facebook also detects me as being in Lixnaw which is relatively near but not right.

Advertisement