Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know... pgibbo

Options
  • 07-01-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Previous threads of this series are:

Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata

So pgibbo, let's get movin'!
    • What are you main goals/races for 2014?
    • What kind of work are you putting down these days - hours wise/session split?
    • Are you going skiing this year!! (Ive my fingers crossed i can manage a 2nd trip on the cheap!!)
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?
    • What other hobbies do you have?
    • Who on boards has a target on their back in 2014?
    • When are you going to man up and suffer on the bike :D ??
    • How does the moderator power feel? Did it go to your head initially and how come you haven't banned Tunney?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What has been the biggest lesson you learnt over the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ahhh I will enjoy this one

1. What made you take up Karate - is it something you will encourage the young lad to do - are you still practicing it?

2. Have you ever listened to music that was not from the 90's

3. Did you know that all the rest of us hated ye rowers in school?

4. Have you negotiated permission to go long in 2015?

5. If so will it be a sub 10 attempt?

6. Will Sean go under 1.45 in Connemara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fav book?
    Fav film?
    4 people you could have around for dinner and why?
    Best sporting achievement so far?
    Do you see yourself in the sport in 5,10 years time?
    You seem to be a very capable runner, pbs for 5,10k,HM, Marathon?
    Are we ever likely to see a log from you or are you going to stay "underground":)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Bambaata wrote: »
    Previous threads of this series are:

Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata

So pgibbo, let's get movin'!
    • What are you main goals/races for 2014?
    • What kind of work are you putting down these days - hours wise/session split?
    • Are you going skiing this year!! (Ive my fingers crossed i can manage a 2nd trip on the cheap!!)
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?
    • What other hobbies do you have?
    • Who on boards has a target on their back in 2014?
    • When are you going to man up and suffer on the bike :D ??
    • How does the moderator power feel? Did it go to your head initially and how come you haven't banned Tunney?

Cheers Ed

For 2014, I still haven't had a good look at the calendar. So from a races point of view I'm unsure which ones I'll be targeting. However I do have a few goals for 2014 - swim 20x100 off 1:45, suffer on the bike (not pretend suffering) & drive up my FTP and break 27:30 for an 8k.

The last 8 weeks have been pretty crap from a training point of view. Yesterday was my second run since I came off the bike 8 weeks ago. My available hours are very similar to last year so the plan will be 3 swims (1 hour each), 3 bikes (2x1hour turbo during the week and 2 to 2.5hr at the weekend) and 4 runs ranging from 30 minutes to 1:30 max at the weekend. I do little to no core work so since the injury I've started to incorporate that again - 20mins a few times a week.

Skiing - don't mention the war :D The crew I go with are in Tignes at the moment and conditions are awesome. I'm hoping to go in March though - fingers crossed!

In 5 years I'll probably be busy taxiing the young lad to training sessions but I'd like to think I'll still be training and racing. I'd also like to be helping out with coaching at club sessions.

From a hobbies point of view Karate is my first love. I love watching winter sports on TV - Downhill, Super G, GS, etc and Biathlon. Eating out is popular in our house too. Since Finn arrived I have little time for anything else.

I don't tend to put targets on people but I'd say El D and BTH if I can sort my swim.

I'm manning up this year. ;)

Modding is very quiet around these parts and brown envelopes look after everything else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

How should I pronounce your username?

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    What has been the biggest lesson you learnt over the last few years?

Hard call between 2

1. You have to listen to your body and don't go chasing sessions.
    2. It's a hobby and life is a lot more important - family life in particular

All my injuries have come as a result of doing too much too fast or doing stupid things - e.g. increasing distance and intensity at the same time OR squeezing a long run in at 11pm and then doing a hard bike session at 7am the next morning :o

catweazle wrote: »
    Ahhh I will enjoy this one

1. What made you take up Karate - is it something you will encourage the young lad to do - are you still practicing it?

2. Have you ever listened to music that was not from the 90's

3. Did you know that all the rest of us hated ye rowers in school?

4. Have you negotiated permission to go long in 2015?

5. If so will it be a sub 10 attempt?

6. Will Sean go under 1.45 in Connemara

1. My Dad used to do Karate and brought me along with him to watch from around the age of 4. I soon got sick of watching and before long I was training and enjoying it. I still do a bit on my own in the garage but as much as I'd like. I'm hoping to get more actively involved in the club in 2014 - even if it's just one night a week. Yes, Finn will be brought along when he's older. If he likes it well and good. If not, I won't be forcing it on him.

2. Of course but there's a lot of 90s music in my collection but that's probably because I stopped buying music after the 90s :D I love Friday night 80s when I'm driving on a Friday night.

3. I did and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

4. I might be going long in 2014 but not sure I want to step up as I think I'd like to nail OLY & HIM first.

5. I don't think I have the time available to me to attempt a sub 10. I'll consult with a few people when I do go long to see what is realistic for me given my time constraints for training. A lot of good people have tried and failed and I'm not sure I have the natural talent for it. That would mean a lot of work is required and I don't have those hours available to me just now.

6. Not unless he gets off his ar$e and does 2 things - start training properly & clean up his diet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Sporting background?
    Goals for 2014?
    How many kids do you have? How has your training/outlook changed since having kids?

Fav book?
    Wonderland Avenue by Danny Sugerman
    Fav film?
    A tough one but I'd say Enter the Dragon as it was the first DVD I bought
    4 people you could have around for dinner and why?
    This one is a lot tougher than it sounds :D If you asked me tomorrow it would probably be a different 4
    Bruce Lee - I was always a huge fan and I believe he had some very interesting thoughts and concepts around martial arts
    Charlie Sheen - I'd say he has some wild stories and I was a big fan of Two and a Half Men
    Helle Fredericksen - token triathlete and eye candy
    Ali of the 70s - I'd love to meet him around the time of the Rumble in the Jungle as his interviews always amused me
    Best sporting achievement so far?
    I think winning the All Irelands in Karate on a team with my 2 instructors. That was a very good day for me.
    Finishing Challenge Barcelona is well up there too.
    Do you see yourself in the sport in 5,10 years time?
    I'd like to think I will be. It's not like I'm uber competitive or at the pointy end so I'm doing triathlon because I enjoy it and the training. Unless that changes I'll be in it for the long haul
    You seem to be a very capable runner, pbs for 5,10k,HM, Marathon?
    I've done very few road races. The only PB that is current is my 8k of 28:41 from August.
    5k is 18:11 I think
    10k is 39:59 from the only 10k I ran 4 years ago or so
    I've never ran a half or full marathon
    Are we ever likely to see a log from you or are you going to stay "underground"smile.png
    I hardly have time to keep my own notes around sessions up to date never mind keeping a log :D

zico10 wrote: »
    How should I pronounce your username?

As two parts - p gibbo. gibbo pronounced Like the Gibb brothers (Bee Gees) but with an o at the end :D

gibbo was/is my nickname and the p is for Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Trying to keep away from this thread because it is so damn time consuming and enjoyable! Anyway...

P...

1. You mentioned your performance goals already. What are your progress goals i.e what 2/3 things will you focus on to improve each discipline? Especially the swimming.
    2. What is the session you love to see on the menu for the week?
    3. What is the session you hate to see?
    4. What is the hardest session you have ever done?
    5. Most satisfying session?
    6. Most satisfying race?
    7. Do you do any strength/core work?
    8. You are a believer in the Low Carb/High Fat way of eating. Have you any tips for those trying that way of eating.
    9. Favourite meal?
    10. Pre/During/Post training foods?
    11. Now that I know I have a target on my back - where will we first race off this season? Ballinrobe duathlon 8th Feb? Taking the swim out of it altogether should help you ;)

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Cheese and Onion. I'm a demon for crisps. I can never just have the one bag
    Sporting background?
    Karate from around 5 to 13 and then resumed again at 18 or so when I started college. I packed in Karate when I started rowing in secondary school as I didn't have time for both.
    I also played soccer up until around 12 and then stopped playing.
    Did the usual school sports and community games for 100m and relays during national school.
    I went back playing soccer for a couple of years in 2000 in one of the lower Sunday leagues.
    When I moved back to Galway in 2004 I started running a lap of the race course at lunch time a couple of days a week and that progressed to doing the Galway 5k series.
    I learned to swim a five years ago so that I could do a triathlon. I've been bitten with the bug since.
    Goals for 2014?
    No races picked yet but I want to get stronger across the 3 disciplines. I also need to decide if I will go long or not this year.
    How many kids do you have? How has your training/outlook changed since having kids?
    One very lively little boy aged 2 and a half. My training has changed a lot. I'm a lot better organised and plan my days better. I'm more time constrained so that means I train when it doesn't impact on family time.
    I now pretty much do 99% of my training solo. For everything except the swim that's not an issue for me. I'd like to be able to do a coached or a group swim session but it's not doable at the moment.
    Appreciating free time is a big change also. Triathlon is a hobby. Your kids are only young once so make sure you're there for them and enjoy the time with them whilst also enjoying your hobby

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you plan to have more children or does that thought scare you?
    You have 5k to spend on triathlon kit. What do you buy?
    Morning or evening person?
    Hardest thing you have ever done and why?
    If you could turn the clock back 10 years is there anything you would go back and change?
    Have you ever eaten oysters?
    Can you juggle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Do you deserve Ultegra Di2 shifters?
    Can you swim 26m underwater on one breath?
    Do you prefer uphill or downhill biking?
    What (if any) improvements would you like to see on this forum?
    What was your best ever tri?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey there, P. :)

You say you might go long this year, which indicates to me that you are toying with the idea of doing a full iron distance tri, but you've never done a half marathon nor marathon? Which begs the question, what tri distances have you done in the past? And which distance of those tris did you enjoy the most and why?

Based on what I've read here, I would guess that swimming is your weakest discipline....so which is your strongest?

How many bikes do you own? Do you name them? And if so, then what are their names?

Most embarrassing moment at either a race or while training?

Most aggravating moment at either a race or while training?

Do you wear a one piece or two piece trisuit?

If it's not too rude, what is your age, height, weight and hair color?

Do you have any pre-race/race rituals or superstitions?

Have you any tattoos?

Which do you prefer the most breakfast, lunch or dinner?

How do you get the quote you are replying to in your response to breakup so each of your responses is below that particular part of the quote you are responding to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Yo Yo P,

1 - Money no object - Dream Bike & Spec please...?

2 - You mention possibly going long this year... Any race in mind if you do?

3 - Top 3 races you'd love to do?

4 - Rank these in order of preference for your top 3 only....

- Race a Sub 10/9:30 Ironman
    - Win a Local triathlon (apologies if already done)
    - Top 5 at NS Race
    - Top 10 at NC Race
    - Run a 36min 10k
    - Run a Sub 3 marathon
    - Sub 4:30 70.3 honest course
    - Other (personal ideal goal in race/distance of choice?)

5 - If you could do one of the following.... which would it be???

- Swim with the fish and exit the water with the leaders?
    - Bike like a Beast and well.... Bryan McCrystal esque?
    - Run like a man possessed - talking 35min 10k off the bike or similar?

6 - Favourite/top 3 Male Pro's?

7 - Describe your personality in 3 words...?

8 - Marshmallows, Ice Cream or Chocolate?

9 - Qualify for Kona or race a Sub 9 ironman (no qualy), which would you prefer?

10 - I read above you follow the LCHF approach to nutrition...
    What extent is the Low Carb element? i.e. strictly 20%?, no carbs in evening bar fruit/veggies?, etc?
    Presuming your a big coconut oil eater also then?

11 - How many years in triathlon are you?

12 - Favourite Irish Race?

Ok I think I should stop there! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey P

How long can you hold a plank for after reading this? :D
    What was your 2k erg PB back in the day?
    Why did you give up rowing?
    How much sleep do you get?
    Describe Catweazle in 3 words?
    What are you most looking forward to watching at the winter Olympics in Feb?
    10:30 and AG win or 9:59 at 4th in AG?

1. You mentioned your performance goals already. What are your progress goals i.e what 2/3 things will you focus on to improve each discipline? Especially the swimming.
    For swimming I have a few key limiters - I don't exhale, I lift my head way too high when breathing and I have very poor thoracic mobility. I need to work on these initially coupled with some CSS work and endurance sets.
    For biking I just need to HTFU and embrace the pain. This means plenty of sweet spot and threshold sets. I also need to start riding longer than 2 hours at the weekend.
    For running, I just need to push myself out of my comfort zone especially on intervals. I don't think any additional volume is required but it probably wouldn't hurt.
    2. What is the session you love to see on the menu for the week?
    I have a love/hate relationship with the hour of power - 20x(2:45 at 90%, 15s at 120%). I love the session but the last 3 or 4 reps are a killer.
    I also really like progression runs - 15easy, 15steady, 5mod and 5easy type of runs.
    3. What is the session you hate to see?
    I hate fast 50s in the pool and work efforts at 110-120% on the bike. The bike more so than the swim though as I really struggle with these types of sessions.
    4. What is the hardest session you have ever done?
    It would have to be an FTP test from last year. I nearly fell off the turbo after. I need to start having more sessions like that if my bike is to improve.
    5. Most satisfying session?
    Tough one this as there are a couple but top ones would be cruising 3:30km repeats the day before the Streets of Galway last year or running below 4:00km pace on easy runs.
    6. Most satisfying race?
    I'd say Lough Key last season or Challenge Barcelona
    7. Do you do any strength/core work?
    I used to but I totally neglected it last year. I'm back doing some now as part of the rehab for my hip injury. Now that I'm in the habit of doing it I plan to stick with it for the season. I try not to neglect foam rolling though and try to roll at least 4 times a week when training.
    8. You are a believer in the Low Carb/High Fat way of eating. Have you any tips for those trying that way of eating.
    I really focused on my diet whilst training for Barcelona and it really helped. I had a one-to-one consultation with Barry Murray and took a lot of his advice on board. I find that eliminating junk food gradually worked well for me - biscuits go on week 1, crisps on week 2 and chocolate on week 3. By the end of the 4th week it's pretty easy to stay off the junk if you are organised. I limited white carbs to recovery after long or hard sessions. I ate protein with every meal and tried to eat as many greens as possible. A lot of it is cop on and avoiding processed foods will go a long way. Planning your meals around training is key but that's hard if your cooking for others
    ;)
    9. Favourite meal?
    Warm chicken salad starter from a beautiful little restaurant in Lanza
    Sunday roast beef dinner that my Gran used to cook for mains
    Chocolate fondant for dessert - Martines in Galway used t do a cracking one and I recently had a very nice one in Thomastown
    10. Pre/During/Post training foods?
    There are a lot of variables here - session type, time of day, etc
    I always swim on empty and just sip water throughout the session
    For lunch time or evening sessions I tend to have oatcakes with peanut butter an hour an a half or two hours before the session. If it's a bike I just take on water during the session. If it's a run I don't take on anything unless it's longer than 1:30. If it's longer then I'll take an Iso Gel after an hour and one every 20mins after that generally.
    I rarely eat on the bike as my longest spin is usually less than 3 hours. I carry food just in case but rarely need it even if riding on empty. I usually just sip water.
    After a hard or long session I'll have OJ with protein in it straight away and a handful of raisins or some dark chilli chocolate. I'll have my recovery meal within an hour of that - generally chicken or eggs for protein with pasta/spuds and some greens.
    A lot of this has slipped over the last while so I need to get back to healthy eating.
    11. Now that I know I have a target on my back - where will we first race off this season? Ballinrobe duathlon 8th Feb? Taking the swim out of it altogether should help you wink.png
    LOL....depends on my run progress as I've only ran twice in the last 8 weeks. I'll keep you posted on it :D

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you plan to have more children or does that thought scare you?
    The thought doesn't scare me. I get so much happiness from our little lad I can only imagine having more would be a good thing.
    You have 5k to spend on triathlon kit. What do you buy?
    I think I'd upgrade my bike to a BMC TM01 with Dura Ace Di2 and Mavic wheels if the budget would stretch that far.
    Morning or evening person?
    Not much in it to be honest but I'd say morning unless I have a poor nights sleep
    Hardest thing you have ever done and why?
    Making a phone call to very good friends back home when I was in KL. They had just gotten some very bad news and I felt bad about not being able to see them in person and also not being able to do anything.
    If you could turn the clock back 10 years is there anything you would go back and change?
    Nothing really apart from learning to swim sooner. I'm happy with the decisions I've made and roads I've taken.
    Have you ever eaten oysters?
    No. I don't eat seafood or fish of any kind. Too much "you're not getting up from the table until that <insert fish here> is eaten" as a child
    Can you juggle?
    Family life, work and triathlon count? Nope, can't juggle

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Do you deserve Ultegra Di2 shifters?
    LOL....much and all as I'd love to I don't see it happening. If anything I might invest in a set of deep rim clinchers. I never did reward myself after last season so thanks for the reminder :D
    Can you swim 26m underwater on one breath?
    Not at the moment but I have done in the past
    Do you prefer uphill or downhill biking?
    I love uphill but unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of climbing around Galway
    What (if any) improvements would you like to see on this forum?
    I'd love to get some of the old guard on here engaged more and perhaps have some more threads along the lines of what zico did a few years ago for the sub 10 IM. There are a lot of very knowlegable people on here and I believe they have a lot of good and differing ideas. We all know that everyone responds differently to load, intensity, etc so I think it would be good to have some performance and training related discussions.
    What was your best ever tri?
    I think it was either Loughrea 2012 or Lough Key 2014. Lough Key this year made me realise that I don't really push myself in to the red zone at races. I pushed hard there and really enjoyed it. The run was a killer for me but it was a good pain

• Advertisement

Hi Dory :)
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    You say you might go long this year, which indicates to me that you are toying with the idea of doing a full iron distance tri, but you've never done a half marathon nor marathon? Which begs the question, what tri distances have you done in the past? And which distance of those tris did you enjoy the most and why?
    I've completed all 4 standard distances - multiple sprint and olympic distance, two 70.3 and 1 full distance IM.
    I have to say I really enjoyed the full distance IM. I had a smile on my face from start to finish and loved every minute of it. It was an amazing experience. It was just 3 months after Finn was born too so getting through it after lots of sleep deprivation was a good confidence boost for me. Meeting my OH and my family at the finish line was special too.
    Based on what I've read here, I would guess that swimming is your weakest discipline....so which is your strongest?
    Correct, my swim is the weakest. The run is definitely my strongest of the three.
    How many bikes do you own? Do you name them? And if so, then what are their names?
    I own 2 bikes - a TT bike and a road bike. I have never named them.

Time to go collect the little man. I'll get to the rest of your questions later :)

Most embarrassing moment at either a race or while training?
    Legging it out of T2 with my helmet still on and having to throw it at a clubmate who told me I still had it on :o
    Most aggravating moment at either a race or while training?
    The swim in Kilkee this year. It was mayhem. I got more punches and kicks than I did in most Karate competitions. I also had some numpty drafting off me for a while on the bike in Kilkee this year and that aggravated me quite a bit too.
    I wear a one piece. However, for full distance I went two piece and would go two piece for long course again.
    Not rude at all - 39, 5'10.5", 72kg and brown hair (what I have left) :D
    I ike to arrive early to get a bike and run warm-up before a race. I also like to have some oatcakes with peanut butter 2 hours before the start. A gel around 10 minutes before entering the water and I'm good to go. No superstitions.
    Have you any tattoos?
    Just the one. I have my name in Japanese on my upper back.
    Dinner. Breakfast and lunch are usually wolfed down at my desk :D
    How do you get the quote you are replying to in your response to breakup so each of your responses is below that particular part of the quote you are responding to?
    I copy the original QUOTE block and just remove everything except the question I'm answering. Rinse and repeat. Hope that makes sense. Example below.

Have you any tattoos?

Have you any tattoos?

Hey Fazz. How goes it?
    Fazz wrote: »
    1 - Money no object - Dream Bike & Spec please...?
    I really like the feel of my BMC so I'm tempted to say the BMC 01. However, I really like the look of the Shiv. So I'd go with the Shiv colour scheme that Hoffman is on here with Dura Ace Di2, Mavic CXR 80 T wheels and an SRM for good measure. :pac:
    2 - You mention possibly going long this year... Any race in mind if you do?
    Nothing in mind really. Problem is most are sold out. Ideally it would be a late August or September race if I do. I like the sounds of Mallorca. I need to get the finger out and decide one way or the other. Worst case there's always Nirvana.
    3 - Top 3 races you'd love to do?
    Kona, Norseman & Embrunman
    4 - Rank these in order of preference for your top 3 only....

- Race a Sub 10/9:30 Ironman
    - Win a Local triathlon (apologies if already done)
    - Top 5 at NS Race
    - Top 10 at NC Race
    - Run a 36min 10k
    - Run a Sub 3 marathon
    - Sub 4:30 70.3 honest course
    - Other (personal ideal goal in race/distance of choice?)
    1. Race a Sub 10/9:30 Ironman
    2. Sub 4:30 70.3 honest course
    3. Black t-shirt at Norseman
    5 - If you could do one of the following.... which would it be???

- Swim with the fish and exit the water with the leaders?
    - Bike like a Beast and well.... Bryan McCrystal esque?
    - Run like a man possessed - talking 35min 10k off the bike or similar?
    Bike like a beast :cool: Hasn't done BMC or LCD any harm ;)
    6 - Favourite/top 3 Male Pro's?
    Crowie - seems to be the ultimate #pro and always comes across well in interviews
    Macca - I just love his arrogance and the way he calls people out.
    Torn between Gomez and Andreas Raelert
    7 - Describe your personality in 3 words...?
    Now that's tough one - competitive, witty & helpful
    8 - Marshmallows, Ice Cream or Chocolate?
    Was going to say chocolate ice-cream - Phish Food :cool: but the reality is I have 16 bars of Lindt Excellence chocolate in the press that I bought over the last couple of weeks - Chilli flavour and A touch of sea salt flavour

9 - Qualify for Kona or race a Sub 9 ironman (no qualy), which would you prefer?
    If it was limited to just one of them EVER for me then it would have to be Kona. Initial thought was sub 9 as that would mean Kona at some stage but if one or the other then it would be Kona.
    10 - I read above you follow the LCHF approach to nutrition...
    What extent is the Low Carb element? i.e. strictly 20%?, no carbs in evening bar fruit/veggies?, etc?
    Presuming your a big coconut oil eater also then?
    I don't really follow LCHF. I try to eat healthy which I'm not doing very well at the moment. Some interesting replies from coaches and athletes to the Neil Scholes twitter poll and many are saying that avoiding processed foods is key.
    Personally I try to limit my gluten intake, only have white carbs for recovery, eat nuts & seeds for snacks, cut out the crap food except for chocolate as a treat/reward after long/hard sessions. I may try full on LCHF but I like my treats/rewards too much to completely remove them. It's also importnat that your way of eating is sustainable, so for that reason a balanced healthy diet without gluten and minimal sugar is probably more realistic. I know this is achievable for me as I've done it for months on end in the past.
    11 - How many years in triathlon are you?
    This coming season will be my 6th. First season was when I learned to swim and I just did 2 sprints that year with little to no bike training.
    12 - Favourite Irish Race?
    Kilkee :cool:

Hey Mike.
    How long can you hold a plank for after reading this? :D
    Pi$$ poor at 3mins 11secs
    What was your 2k erg PB back in the day?
    I honestly haven't a clue, that was over 20 years ago for me :eek: It was nothing special though and a good bit off the squad times at the time.
    Why did you give up rowing?
    I didn't make the first crew at the start of the term in my junior year and I didn't bother fighting for my place. I didn't get on with the coach so decided to row second crew for my final year. A few weeks before the pot my best mate got wrongly dropped from the first crew and I just stopped after that. I never went back to rowing after that but regularly got on the ergo and went to races. When I went back to Karate I didn't give it a second thought. In recent years I've often had thoughts of getting back in a boat to see what it would be like.
    How much sleep do you get?
    Usually round 7 hours but recently Finn has been unsettled at night. Monday night was 10:30 to 2am, 2:20 to 3:30 and 3:50 to 6:20
    Tuesday night was 12:20am to 5am and 5:30 to 8am
    I'm hoping he has a good night tonight ;)
    Describe Catweazle in 3 words?
    Funny, genuine and under-thumb :D
    What are you most looking forward to watching at the winter Olympics in Feb?
    I was really looking forward to seeing how Lindsay and Bode get on. Gutted to hear she won't be defending her downhill title. The downhill race is where it's at :cool: Ted Ligety in the GS will be good too
    10:30 and AG win or 9:59 at 4th in AG?
    9:59 :cool:

Under the thumb......me :eek:.......are any of your mates skiing without you this week ;)

I got a hiding from her last night when she saw that so I will start off with her question.

1. After hours of training per week, sometimes close to 6 hours on the bike at weekends with runs after it. How can you look yourself in the mirror when you hire someone to cut your lawn

2. Now back to me, sipping coffee in your house one evening I had to listen to Orlas heart breaking story about how difficult it is for you to do the grass with just a push mower, I couldnt believe how sorry she was for you. Can you advice me how you persuaded Orla that cutting the lawn yourself was such an arduous task as I will give it a go this year

3. You don't drink but were you ever drunk in your life

4. Favourite TV character

5. I remember you mentioning you worked in Singapore years ago, did you do any traveling around that area while you were over there

6. Do you need talent to become a black belt or is it just a matter of hard work

Under the thumb......me :eek:.......are any of your mates skiing without you this week ;)

I got a hiding from her last night when she saw that so I will start off with her question.

1. After hours of training per week, sometimes close to 6 hours on the bike at weekends with runs after it. How can you look yourself in the mirror when you hire someone to cut your lawn

I sense a girlfriend/wife inflated figure there for purposes of the "what until I tell you how bad a deal I have gotten, wait till I tell you what he does at the weekend?"

tunney wrote: »
    I sense a girlfriend/wife inflated figure there for purposes of the "what until I tell you how bad a deal I have gotten, wait till I tell you what he does at the weekend?"

At the dinner your wife will be the one we will all worry about as Glenda will say....Dave does shag all training, cue comments from the other wives like "dave is great, very considerate to his wife and kids, he doesnt like to train at the weekends at all because he misses the kids etc etc.

It will then be our job in the taxi home to say Dave is a fat, lazy sh1te, thats why he doesn't train at weekends

At the dinner your wife will be the one we will all worry about as Glenda will say....Dave does shag all training, cue comments from the other wives like "dave is great, very considerate to his wife and kids, he doesnt like to train at the weekends at all because he misses the kids etc etc.

It will then be our job in the taxi home to say Dave is a fat, lazy sh1te, thats why he doesn't train at weekends

Nah you've not met Glenda.

Mrs Catweasle: Catweasle disappears for 2:30 cycling on Saturdays and an hour running on Sunday's EVERY WEEK.
    Mrs Gibbo: That's nothing pgibbo is gone on his bike 3 hours on a Saturday and then runs for 1:30 on a Sunday
    Glenda: Jesus, they'll never improve if that's all they are doing.

Under the thumb......me eek.png.......are any of your mates skiing without you this week ;)
    Most of them. However the reason I'm not there is mine and not because I'm under the thumb ;)
    If only what you were saying was true. My longest bike last year was 2:30 and most weekends was a 2 hour bike. That makes it even worse but I just had no will or desire to cut the lawn. Getting someone in to do it was an easy out for me. Orla doesn't care who cuts it once it's cut and it's not impacting her financially :D
    2. Now back to me, sipping coffee in your house one evening I had to listen to Orlas heart breaking story about how difficult it is for you to do the grass with just a push mower, I couldnt believe how sorry she was for you. Can you advice me how you persuaded Orla that cutting the lawn yourself was such an arduous task as I will give it a go this year
    I'd say she was oozing sarcasm ;) I'd say I'll be back cutting it myself this year.
    3. You don't drink but were you ever drunk in your life
    Never. I just never liked the taste of alcohol and a lot of bar work made me realise that my decision not to drink was a wise one.
    4. Favourite TV character
    Tony Soprano. I loved that show. It was one of the few TV shows that I went out of my way to see.
    5. I remember you mentioning you worked in Singapore years ago, did you do any traveling around that area while you were over there
    It was Kuala Lumpur and I did a bit of traveling whilst there. I traveled around Malaysia quite a bit which is a beautiful country. I also did three and a half weeks with Orla in Thailand. Another amazing country. However, the highlight for me was Vietnam. I only got to see Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and the surrounding areas but it left a big impression. The Cu Chi tunnels, the thousands of mopeds everywhere, the history, the amazing food and the very friendly people it's a must see country. I'd love to go back. I would highly recommend a visit. Hard to believe that was 11 years ago.
    6. Do you need talent to become a black belt or is it just a matter of hard work
    Talent helps but as with most sports hard work will get you there. That being said, there are a lot of lazy and untalented black belts out there. Politics plays a significant role in a lot of martial arts :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 SlowMe

interesting background pgibbo!

you do most of your training on your own now - what are your thoughts on coaching? Do you self coach?
    pgibbo wrote: »
    I'd also like to be helping out with coaching at club sessions.

What are your thoughts on club coaching?

Have there been key learnings from karate/rowing that have helped you in tri training or skills that have been helpful?

Does what you do at work help you in what you try and achieve in sport?

Do you have goals in other sports outside of triathlon?

Advertisement