Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know... pgibbo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Howiya

Are you originally from Galway? Where?
    Football or hurling, although the answer to above may answer that
    Cycling - TT or hill climbing, and less of this poor me in Galway, the corkscrew is only a warmup away and the Shanaphesteen isnt that far away either!

Have you always ran? Whats your 5k & 10k pb?

Whats the best meal you can cook yourself?

What do you work at and do you enjoy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

SlowMe wrote: »
    you do most of your training on your own now - what are your thoughts on coaching? Do you self coach?
    I think triathlon is a bit of an odd ball when it comes to coaching. For nearly every other sport that I have done or friends do there's always a coach - soccer, GAA, rugby, running clubs, etc. Most people that do triathlon don't bother with a coach and from what I understand most clubs don't have a coaching system - sure they have coached sessions but that's not the same thing. I know it's not important that everyone have a coach but I think it's advisable that people at least seek advice or guidance. Personally, I found out the hard way that if you don't seek advice and talk things through with people it can be a recipe for injury.
    For swimming, I'd strongly advocate 1-to-1 lessons if you aren't a strong swimmer or coached club/group sessions.
    What are your thoughts on club coaching?
    In my experience it's severely lacking. That being said I've only had limited exposure but from conversations I've had with other people around the country it seems to be a nationwide issue. As I said above, a lot of clubs offer coached swim, bike, run , core, etc sessions. However, I haven't heard of any club that will actively work with their members to guide them on how their training should be designed specific to their A race for the coming season. Generic plans don't work for this either as time availability, sporting background, etc all need to be taken in to account. Some clubs may offer these services for their elite club members but I think it should be there for all paid members. The fun element can remain in someones training while they still get the benefit of structure and consistency that a plan would offer.
    Have there been key learnings from karate/rowing that have helped you in tri training or skills that have been helpful?
    I've realised that no matter what sport you do, core strength and mental strength are key. Those 2 sports have also thought me that you generally get out what you put in.
    With rowing in particular, the training was quite tough and had long hours. As a result I think a 10 hour week of tri training isn't much training. However, for someone starting out with little to no background in sport that would seem a lot. Rowing also had a lot of similar concepts regarding peaking, fartlek training, etc that triathlon has. A lot of the training approaches from rowing are very applicable to triathlon.
    Does what you do at work help you in what you try and achieve in sport?
    Absolutely. I sit at a desk in front of a computer for my day job. As a result I love the escape and variety that tri training brings me. Tri training also helps work too. I've often been frustrated with work issues and gone for a run to clear my head. Half way through the run I get a light bulb moment and sure enough it's usually the root cause of the work issue :cool:
    Do you have goals in other sports outside of triathlon?
    I have goals for Karate and I also have running goals that I'd like to address.
    My Karate goals have scaled massively over the years as I got disillusioned by the BS that goes on it the background.
    Sub 60 10 mile and sub 3 marathon would be the main running goals.
    I also have a list of ski resorts that I'd like to ski :cool:

Hi Green&Red
    Green&Red wrote: »
    Are you originally from Galway? Where?
    I am originally from Galway - from the city. I'm from Castle Park but spent most of my teenage years in Bohermore. I now live a few miles north of Claregalway.
    Football or hurling, although the answer to above may answer that
    Hurling every time for me. That said I've been to plenty of Galway football matches around the country. I never played either as when I was growing up soccer was more popular than GAA in Galway City.
    Cycling - TT or hill climbing, and less of this poor me in Galway, the corkscrew is only a warmup away and the Shanaphesteen isnt that far away either!
    LOL.....Fair point :D I love hill climbing. There are some cracking routes around Cong, Lough na Fooey and the likes, that I used to do but since the little lad arrived my long hours on the bike have been curtailed. The TT leagues are good fun also and I love the idea of having a rabbit set off a minute ahead of me. I'll say TT
    Have you always ran? Whats your 5k & 10k pb?
    I ran 100m as a kid in national school. As part of our winter rowing training there was always at least 2 or 3 runs a week. I started back running around 10 years ago after 11 years of no running.
    My 5k is 18:11 or the like but I've ran faster off the bike in Sprint races. I haven't ran a 5k in 3 or 4 years.
    My 10k is 39:59 and is 5 years old from the only 10k I've ever ran. I ran 37:42 in DCT this year but not sure how accurate that course is.
    Whats the best meal you can cook yourself?
    Hmmm, not sure on that. I do a lot of cooking as my OH has a big commute. I'll ask her and let you know :)
    What do you work at and do you enjoy it?
    I'm in software development. I enjoy it when I'm actually developing but there are times and other aspects that I don't always enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello again, P. :)

When it comes to racing, do you think you are tougher mentally or physically?

Which of the three disciplines do you allow yoursefl to suffer the most when training?

Do you ever talk trash to your fellow competitor while raciing?

Do you have a secret weapon when you race?

If you had to be known as one of the three, which would you rather be known as - a swimmer, a cyclst, or a runner? And why?

If you and catweazle were to go head to head in the locally sponsored Gardener's Club annual lawn care contest where you, as the owner, had to create your own landscape design, install that design, then tend to all aspects of that design including the lawn itself...what would each "creation" look like, how would each be looking at the end of the summer, and which one of you would win the contest and be the recipient of a year's worth of free lawn care?

If i hopped in your car with you right now, what would be playing on your radio?

Have you ever painted your toenails? If so, what color?

I assume you are quite familiar with lots of animated, Disney-like characters since you have a little one....so, which animated character would best represent who you are, and why?

Do you dance like nobody's watching?

Hey Dory,
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    When it comes to racing, do you think you are tougher mentally or physically?
    I believe mentally. Any time I've had to dig deep and the body said no I have always come through and kicked on
    Which of the three disciplines do you allow yoursefl to suffer the most when training?
    Tough call between the bike and the run but I'd say the bike. I do push hard on the run but not as often as on the bike. I don't tend to do as many work intervals on the run as I do the bike
    Do you ever talk trash to your fellow competitor while raciing?
    Nope. I'm not good enough to be at that craic. I have done in other sports but not triathlon.
    Do you have a secret weapon when you race?
    I guess when things get tough thinking of Finn helps me push through rather than quitting - more so if he's at the race.
    If you had to be known as one of the three, which would you rather be known as - a swimmer, a cyclst, or a runner? And why?
    Tough call. I think a swimmer. I just loving watching swimming when it's done properly. It's like poetry in motion when done right.
    If you and catweazle were to go head to head in the locally sponsored Gardener's Club annual lawn care contest where you, as the owner, had to create your own landscape design, install that design, then tend to all aspects of that design including the lawn itself...what would each "creation" look like, how would each be looking at the end of the summer, and which one of you would win the contest and be the recipient of a year's worth of free lawn care?
    You were going well until the part in bold. Given that we'd be maintaining it even after the year was up I think it would be the KISS principle. :D That coupled with the fact that I'm not the designer in our house would mean that my design would be very straightforward. I think he's secretly very proud of his lawn, he talks about it enough, so I'd say he'd win that one :pac:
    If i hopped in your car with you right now, what would be playing on your radio?
    If you were to listen to the radio then it would be Today FM. If you went looking for a CD it would be one of these few: Radiohead, Happy Mondays, The Waterboys, Fred, REM, U2, Pink Floyd, Beck, Smashing Pumpkins, Springsteen, The Doors, AC/DC or some 90s dance music. There could be a Tiesto CD there also.
    Have you ever painted your toenails? If so, what color?
    Nope. If I add to it would be red or electric blue :pac:
    I assume you are quite familiar with lots of animated, Disney-like characters since you have a little one....so, which animated character would best represent who you are, and why?
    I actually am not that familiar with them. I'd imagine I will be soon but not hugely so at the moment. Finn isn't a big TV fan. He rarely sits still long enough. He watches Fireman Sam, Q Pooties and Postman Pat. Out of those I'd say Norman Price from Sam would be closest to the mark. I was always in bother a kid.
    Do you dance like nobody's watching?
    When you dance as badly as I do (picture Will dancing in the Inbetweeners Movie) you have to dance like nobody is watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    When you dance as badly as I do (picture Will dancing in the Inbetweeners Movie) you have to dance like nobody is watching.

Your problem is you dance sober. A no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I would lose Dory - my dream garden would be along the lines of this

laois-tarmacadam-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

catweazle wrote: »
    I would lose Dory - my dream garden would be along the lines of this

laois-tarmacadam-2.jpg

Ha! Too funny!

Okay...then which one of you two has got the more lethal better arsenal of lawn equipment?

Without doubt me, my lawnmower has a John Deere engine and is push assisted! Hmmm thats about all I have though now that I think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Have you started Finn swimming yet?

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Have you started Finn swimming yet?

Finn has been attending Water Babies since he was 12 weeks old. He's in the pool pretty much once a week all year around. He loves the classes too which is great. They ain't cheap but he enjoys it and I enjoy going with him so it's a win win. Once he hits 4 or so I'll probably get him going to one of the local swimming clubs.

pgibbo wrote: »
    They ain't cheap but he enjoys it and I enjoy going with him so it's a win win. Once he hits 4 or so I'll probably get him going to one of the local swimming clubs.

I would expect that lad from Waterbabies has a framed picture of Finn on his wall :D

Next victim candidate has been lined up :cool:

Thanks folks

Advertisement