Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skin Care

Options
  • 07-01-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

What skin regime do people use to get clear skin results? I am 28 and have never had much of a skin regime, I use moisturiser when my skin gets dry but not daily, anyway after Christmas looking at photos I have noticed some fine lines appearing around my eyes and think its time I start looking after my skin, I have normal type skin, I eat well and drink lots of water, only wear make up going on a night out, went to pharmacy and there is a huge range of product, what brands to people see good results with? Someone told me how shiseido is designed for asian type skin and gets rave reviews, is their a moisturiser that is specifically designed to work with caucasian skin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I usually use Nivea stuff and it does the job and it's cheap (Nivea Q10 is great for the price) but I got a present of some Clinique stuff (3 Step System) for Christmas from my sister in the States and I've been using it since. Since then, I've had people comment on how good my skins looks and my skin looks noticeably different. I've been cleaning my face using the 3 products (face wash, toner, moisturiser) morning and night.

Tbh, whatever you use, I really would recommend you start moisturising at the very least. You're young now and dramatic signs of aging won't appear but I can guarantee you that your skin will age quicker in your 30s than someone who moisurises twice a day if you don't start now. You don't need to spend a huge amount on it (that Nivea cream I recommended above is great and has an SPF 15 in it) but I really would recommend you use something. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You're young now and dramatic signs of aging won't appear but I can guarantee you that your skin will age quicker in your 30s than someone who moisurises twice a day if you don't start now.

I don't think this is true. I am 40 now and have never ever moisturised. I've plenty of friends who swear by it. My skin is not more aged looking. I've been a smoker for 20 years too. I know it's subjective but other people have commented that I look young amongst my friends. I think a lot of it is down to good luck. I am a sun avoider.

As a teenager, an old beautician told me that the best moisturiser was to do it from the inside out, drink lots of water. Can't say I followed that advice either!

I don't think this is true. I am 40 now and have never ever moisturised. I've plenty of friends who swear by it. My skin is not more aged looking. I've been a smoker for 20 years too. I know it's subjective but other people have commented that I look young amongst my friends. I think a lot of it is down to good luck. I am a sun avoider.

As a teenager, an old beautician told me that the best moisturiser was to do it from the inside out, drink lots of water. Can't say I followed that advice either!

Lucky you! ;) Fair enough, I take back the "guaranteed" bit.

I would say it's down to luck or else you have very good genes...or you're right about the water. Whatever about moisturising but smoking definitely ages skin in most people although I do agree that the sun is the biggest culprit. I would say you're exceptional tbh. I know people who have never moisturised and you can tell now in their early 30s that they haven't. I don't see the harm in slapping on some just to be on the safe side.

I could well be wrong but just speaking from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I have researched this myself and am a qualified beautician so am
    interested in skin care. I would go a lot by what Dermatologists recommend. I have read numerous articles and have concluded that the best products to use would be the likes of Silcocks base or Aqueous cream. Ok they may not be as creamy or as scented as the more expensive products but i find Aqueous Cream in particular has improved its texture lately and it only costs about 3.50 in Boots. As for does my skin look any better because of using it i don't know all i know is that i used the more expensive creams over the years and i still got lines and wrinkles which correspond to the movement of my facial muscles such as laughing. The cure for that would appear to be botox treatments from a young age! I would recommend what ever you use you should wear uva and uvb protection all year round to minimise sun damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Lucky you! ;) Fair enough, I take back the "guaranteed" bit.

I would say it's down to luck or else you have very good genes...or you're right about the water. Whatever about moisturising but smoking definitely ages skin in most people although I do agree that the sun is the biggest culprit. I would say you're exceptional tbh. I know people who have never moisturised and you can tell now in their early 30s that they haven't. I don't see the harm in slapping on some just to be on the safe side.

I could well be wrong but just speaking from my experience.

I wish I was ;)
    I do of course have lines and some age on my face, who doesnt at 40! But theyre not excessive at all, whats far more worrying is the drop in muscle tone, deep under the surface!! You cant moisture that away!!

Ive never worn make up (as in, skin make up, I do wear eye make up and lippy going out), and my skin can be a bit sensitive so I tend to avoid putting anything on it at all. I do wash my face, but am even more likely to use a sensitive wipe than actually wash it. Strangely enough I am a swimmer and the chlorine doesnt seem to affect it (although it does affect my hair).

Perhaps I should find a moisturiser that doesnt upset my skin, but I know myself Im so lazy about this type of thing that Id use it for a few days then leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mod

Hi redrainbow, I'm moving your post to the Fashion and Appearance forum as I think it may be better suited to your query. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redrainbow

Thank You for the replies, I didnt use too many creams over the years because I thought the chemicals or toxins in them might damage my skin more than not. Living in city centre for a couple of years now tho I am exposed to alot of pollution, so want some protection and not something that will cause harm on top of it. When I do use cream I use nivea but find it very heavy but might try the clinque or the Aqueous, I might have to experiment with a few til I find what works, I have been reading good reviews on french products such as Biodorma or la roche posay, anyone tried ?. I dont think I'll be getting botox anytime, not the kind of solution im looking for, thank tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Staying out of the sun when possible, and using a high SPF when out in it - that has definitely benefited my skin!
    Olay is a great moisturiser too - no need to be spending a lot or using a really thick creamy product.

I wish I was ;)
    I do of course have lines and some age on my face, who doesnt at 40! But theyre not excessive at all, whats far more worrying is the drop in muscle tone, deep under the surface!! You cant moisture that away!!

Ive never worn make up (as in, skin make up, I do wear eye make up and lippy going out), and my skin can be a bit sensitive so I tend to avoid putting anything on it at all. I do wash my face, but am even more likely to use a sensitive wipe than actually wash it. Strangely enough I am a swimmer and the chlorine doesnt seem to affect it (although it does affect my hair).

Perhaps I should find a moisturiser that doesnt upset my skin, but I know myself Im so lazy about this type of thing that Id use it for a few days then leave it.

Well I'd say if you don't need it, don't bother. Perhaps because I've used it for years, I miss it when I don't and it's more out of habit than anything. Couldn't imagine NOT using it. I don't wear foundation, so it only takes seconds to stick on. Plus I live in a hot country, so wearing an SPF is absolutely essential for me most of the year anyway. Different folks for different strokes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I'd agree with the SPF thing, if you do nothing else, a good SPF everyday is the single best thing you can do for you skin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Skincare ranges can be trial and error but a good one to start with would be REN a fairly natural range. I cleanse, tone, serum, oil & moisturize every day and use spf 50 daily. I think the most important thing is to use serum or a booster under your moisturizer. Face masks a few times a week are beneficial too

• Registered Users Posts: 2 angelsigh

I cleanse morning and night, I follow with a serum, followed by a light moisturiser and then a sunscreen (from La Roche Posay usually).
    I always use eye serum or cream, morning and night, to banish puffiness. Once or twice a week I like to use a face mask - actually the Lush ones are my favourites; I just alter them to suit the condition of my skin at the time.
    As for product ranges; I love La Roche Posay- not too expensive - stock up when Boots has them on 3 for 2. I like Avene and Vichy too. Plus Indeed Labs have excellent products.
    Also love Clarins and Clinique (love Clinique eye serums/creams), when I can afford them. But really, it's trial and error to see what products suit you. Have a look at beauty blogs and websites, such as Boots, for reviews. The main thing is to use something, especially SPF!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 solutionsolver

Have you tried the 2 minute miracle gel?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

Cleanse Tone and moisturize every evening and a mask once a week you cant go wrong try and find products for rehydrating as your skin sounds like it needs moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm the same age as you, OP, and fortunately I have good skin, with no wrinkles or crow's feet.
    My skin regime is as follows:

I wash my face with Nivea Daily Essentials Gentle Cleansing Cream Wash,(in a pink tube), then apply Cien Facial Toner, (from Lidl, only €1.99) with a cotton pad.

I then apply Lacura Q10 Day Cream (from Aldi, only €2.99).

In the evening, I wash again using the Cream Wash, the toner and then Lacura Q10 Evening Cream.

That's all I do and I get a lot of comments about my youthful soft skin.
    I have used many moisturisers over the years, expensive/cheap, and I'm really impressed with the Aldi one, I have to say.

I drink water, but not nearly enough, and my diet isn't the greatest either.
    But I've always removed my make-up at night, so that probably helps.

Advertisement