Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best all round gaming magazine?

• 07-01-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I want to subscribe to a dacent game magazine. Looking for one that will cover all platforms and have reviews and previews. I've never subscribed to one before and I know you can get all the same info online but I like the idea of getting a magazine once a month.
    All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not sure if there are many good ones anymore.
    When I used to subscribe buy magazines, Edge was probably the best multiplatform mag. There was also GamesMaster...but that was more like a collections of pictures and screenshots aimed at young teens as opposed to proper informative articles.

I think EDGE is still around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Edge is still around. Was never a fan of it. It always felt a bit up itself, trying to justify gaming as a serious medium. I'm all for that, but sometimes I just want to read previews and reviews in plain english.
    Never subscribed to a UK mag because it was always too expensive for Irish residents. Wouldnt want every mag, so it was cheaper to just buy them as I wanted em.

I stick to PC focused magazines but anytime Im in a newsagents I have a flick through GamesTM and it seems decent enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Games TM is like Edge with it's head removed from its arse, for the most part. Retro Gamer is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

try the zinio app on ios. Lots of good deals on gaming mags at this time of year. I got an edge sub for a year for about $10 but wasn't mad about it. You can try the uk, us, canadian stores and find the best deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Good old gamesmaster for pure popcorn journalism and screenshots. Edge if ya want a far more serious read and then Retrogamer for a blast of nostalgia. They're my reads anyway. Oh and official Playstation from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

funnily I just got a code for 20% off

Exclusive Voucher Code only available on this newsletter.
    In addition to all of these great offers, buy a 2 year subscription and get an additional 20% off the Christmas prices!

Simply enter this code in the check out:
    20AC-NY14

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/january-sale/?ns_service=mail&ns_robot=partner-Adestra&ns_campaign=8080&ns_source=Adestra&ns_mchannel=email-n&ns_linkname=click%20here&ns_fee=0&ns_recipient=skerries%40gmail.com&ns_mail_uid=341&ns_mail_job=9462

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Cheers for the replies. After looking into GamesTM turns out a subscription for it costs about £70 so that's gonna be a no then. I though if you actually subscribe they would be a bit cheaper. EDGE was a little less but still too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've been reading Edge since the mid 90's, a great magazine.
    I find GamesTM to be a cut price version of Edge, it's reviews tend to be the same as Edges with mostly the same conclusions only 2 weeks later.
    Also, rather than suggest Edge is up it's own backside, it treats gaming as something with depth and worthy of respect, and what's wrong with that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It treats gaming as something with depth and worthy of respect, and what's wrong with that?

Which is grand for the great articles they do but their reviews are utter ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Does it have to physical magazine? As I mentioned earlier Zinio is a great app/program. Currently 13 issues of Edge are $29.99 on us site or £21.73 on uk. GamesTm is $39.99 and there are even cheaper mags on there too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, if its cheap you want just google, there's tons of resources out there dedicated to the art of gaming and gaming reviews, I find I am far less drawn to printed media over the last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Games TM is still the best on the market for my money, Edge as others have said, has it's head firmly up its own arse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love that Edge is up its own arse (although, for the record, they have plenty of more humourous content to offset the straight-faced stuff). I love that its writers and the magazine generally take games seriously, and look at it from different angles (as well as offering proper 'textual analysis'). I think their columnists pretty much offer the best games writing available every month, and their strong features often look at niche, engaging subjects that aren't featured everywhere. I even very much appreciate that their reviews don't just boil down to 'should you buy it?' or box checking criteria graphics / sound / gameplay / longevity, because I have no shortage of resources that offer that sort of review. Of course it can be uneven, and there are moments when they descend into self parody (much like pretty much any gaming publication, good or bad, at times). I know plenty of people hate it, and that's good for them. For my money, I still think it's well worth the monthly investment, even with the generally ignorable flaws. If I wanted more lighthearted, irreverent games writing, it's never less than a few mouse clicks away.

And Gunstar Heroes really is that bad, it's true....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And Gunstar Heroes really is that bad, it's true....

You're on thin ice sonny.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're on thin ice sonny.

And Halo really is that good, especially Halo 2..... (waits for banhammer...)

Advertisement