Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sting Vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Rose tinted glasses lads. TBH i dont really care anymore as wcw's long gone,but if this was 2001 id be all over ya's! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Anyone have any idea when Taker is coming back. Will he appear at the Rumble? There are usually some promo's running by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    A wrestler's peak today ends around 36/7. Thats 3/4 years assuming no injuries. WWE are usually on the road about 300 days a year. That wasnt the case for nearly everyone you listed. All that travelling takes a lot out of you.

we don't know when a wrestlers peak ends today. guys that worked the attitude era/ecw style in the 1990s retired earlier because the toll it took on their bodies but the wwe style especially since 2008 is a hell of a lot safer and we should be seeing more guys going well into their 40s in years to come.

cena is 4 years older than bryan but he will be starting his 12th year under the wwe schedule in 2014, bryan will be starting his 4th year. people like flair and michaels were still at their peaks well into their 40s despite career threatening back injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Sting is apparently in talks with WWE now. His TNA contract would be up some time next month and they likely can't afford to keep him. He usually works a set amount of appearances every contract and has recently been working house shows for the first time. The reason was supposed to be to help attendance figures but I reckon it was to use up the rest of his contracted appearances. I think he will be at Wrestlemania in some capacity.

Sting is apparently in talks with WWE now. His TNA contract would be up some time next month and they likely can't afford to keep him. He usually works a set amount of appearances every contract and has recently been working house shows for the first time. The reason was supposed to be to help attendance figures but I reckon it was to use up the rest of his contracted appearances. I think he will be at Wrestlemania in some capacity.

I really hope WWE get Hogan and Sting under contract.

Not to see them wrestle (I would like to see Sting have at least one match in the WWE before he retires though) but it will be great for documentaries and stuff on the network to have these guys involved.

Same with Warrior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Made his debut in a tag team with Ultimate Warrior didn't he, doubt they'll pick him to induct him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yep know all that, watched some of it, but wasn't really impressed with him.

Austin/McMahon had the bigger angle IMO.

I dunno about that.

Both story lines were revolutionary at the time.

The NWO/WCW angle was just perfect in its inception. It truly did feel like the WWF were actually invading WCW at the time. Hogan turning at BATB made him a bigger heel than Flair was and it turned Sting into a bigger face than Hogan had been.

The Austin/McMahon angle brought the guy a lot of people thought was only a commentator to be the biggest heel in WWE/WWF history, and a guy fired by WCW to be one of its biggest fan favourites and all time great icons.

While i loved the McMahon/Austin angle, the NWO angle had more about it. It felt more real for a long time. Hogan v Sting as a match was a let down though.

On topic.

I agree that this match should have happened 6-7 years ago to get a decent match from them both. The build up to it would be great, but now the match would be a big letdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think Taker will go out as a winner, after a punishing match in 2/3 Wrestlemanias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think for this to even have a chance to be any ways good, the build would need to start at the Rumble - at the very latest. Something like Taker coming out to say he has defeated everyone, there is no one left to challenge him, and he won't be defending the streak this year. Then the lights go down. Sting comes out of the rafters to challenge Taker. It needs a long build though.

However, I think we may get Cena. And that's not a bad thing. For all the hate Cena gets, he has been in some amazing matches, and I think he could have a great match with Taker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I don't see why every year there seems to be a rumbling that Taker will eventually lose the streak - There is nobody on the current roster suitable to do it. Furthermore it doesn't make sense, especially given the cream of the crop*/** has tried and failed (in some cases on multiple occasions).

Now I know "what makes sense" and "what actually happens" are rarely in common in the world of WWE but my logic here is that Taker is the boss that everyone is supposed to lose to - Like when you first fight Zeus in GoW2, no matter how old school taker is there is nobody with the presence to take the spot as final boss (and unless a purpose built - 6 5" - 7 foot tall, highly proficient worker, with the right "look" becomes super over in the next 3 years then it can't happen) - Super-cena is already loved/loathed enough (in equal measures) without going over for no reason against taker

My guesses for this year's body(s) would be Sheamus, a Shield/Wyatts handicap of some sort or a re-hash of Mark Henry/Big Show.

*excludes the Rock, Hogan and Cena as these have never faced taker at Wrestlemania - I suspect Rock or Cena will be one match each of the 23-0/24-0 and maybe 25-0.

** Also aware the cream of the crop includes Tensai, Jimmy Snuka and King Kong Bundy

Rihan of the Road to WrestleMania 30 blog in the UK attended Sting's Q&A show at Camden Highlight Club in London last night. He noted that Sting got a great ovation and was very tight lipped about his future but it appeared that he's signed with WWE based on some answers that were given.

* He want to face The Undertaker in his last match. He's not interested in fighting other opponents in WWE or independent promotions

* He was on YouTube doing research by watching the Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels match

* Hasn't watched the TNA product since he left, but has been purposefully (his exact words) watching RAW for the past few weeks

Other highlights:

* Mentioned his three favorite matches were vs. Flair for 45 minutes at Clash Of Champions 88, his first World Title victory and Starrcade 97 vs. Hulk Hogan

* Mentioned he disliked working with Vampiro in WCW & he wasn't fond of working with Robocop

* Mentioned he didn't feel that Hogan took his spot when he joined WCW

* Rated Shawn Michaels & Kurt Angle as top two wrestlers

* Credited Scott Hall for giving him the idea behind the Crow look

* Responsible for Goldberg joining WCW as he used Lex Luger & Sting's Atlanta gym

* Disappointed about not having a proper feud with Bret Hart in WCW

* Sting couldn't remember who the Dangerous Alliance were and doesn't follow the product so was unable to mention a favorite match not involving him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Taker beats lesnar in a bloody epic and then lights fade out and sting destroys whats left of taker with a baseball bat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Think I said it on the podcast but if he has signed for the WWE (and it looks like he has) I wouldn't be surprised if he debuts on the Raw after Wrestlemania as they will want a smark heavy crowd to pop big for his debut and make him seem like the big deal that he is as apposed to the usual Raw crowd who may not know who he is cos they were not born when he was fighting Flair in 88 or even Hogan in 97.

Wouldn't mind Ricero's suggestion but with Sting it wouldnt seem right for me if he Debuted as a heel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

ricero wrote: »
    Taker beats lesnar in a bloody epic and then lights fade out and sting destroys whats left of taker with a baseball bat

Surely Sting debuts a face. More like taker wins and Lesner attacks him and Sting makes the save. Or else night after Mania Sting appears in the rafters. Either way I doubt he'll attack Taker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

ricero wrote: »

That would be awful. Sting sucks at being a heel and is one of the very, very few natural babyfaces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

. Mentioned he disliked working with Vampiro in WCW & he wasn't fond of working with. Robocop

So he won't like Undertaker no-selling like Robocop so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why does it have to be at Wrestlemania 31 though? Why not Summerslam? At least then he could debut and there's only a few months' build to get through before then.

Here's my problem with the idea of him showing up the Raw after WM30 and challenging Taker for next year: it's too long a build before the pay-off. People will say well they did it with Rock and Cena which is true, but Cena was an active performer and they could keep the build going intermittently by referencing the whole 'I'm here, Rock's not' stuff.'Live via satellite' and all that. There was a real life element that could keep that feud going which won't be there for Taker and Sting.

Taker is not a regular roster member and if neither guy is on TV much between now and next year I think the excitement would dwindle. I really don't think the promos would advance things enough the way Cena's and Rock's were able to. Taker's short and sweet promos, 'you will RIP', 'you will meet the reaper' etc/ That stuff is fine for short feuds but a year of that? No thanks. It would get old fast.

They could bring Sting in as a regular, or semi-regular roster member I suppose, and give him matches before Taker, but then I think the match loses a bit of its special factor.

I think if it's going to be done then do it this year and ensure the wait is not too long. Summerslam to me is about right. They can inform new fans how big a deal Sting is in the meantime and the build might maintain its legs for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I've already had this debate today with a couple of very pro-Sting/Taker guys (it baffles me too at this stage of both men's careers), so it was a relief to click this thread and see more a common sense discussion prevail.

It seems like Sting is angling for a match by trying to create his own demand, similar to Piper's campaign to wrestle Hogan at WM30 a couple of months back. Vince, or any self-respecting billionaire, doesn't and won't respond well to people with questionable drawing power in 2014 trying to bully their way into his plans. Would a large enough percentage of live fans know Sting if he debuted cold as some scenarios are suggesting? To me, it'd come across like when The Shield debuted, where some knew of them and thought it was a cool touch, then just seemed random to the rest. You can have that as a finish to an otherwise-lacklustre PPV main event, but not up against The Undertaker where every match has to matter at this stage.

I think Sting will come to WWE in some form. A HoF induction would be fair and well-deserved, as would high-profile cameos on shows (like Bret Hart today) and work with the WWE Network. He'd be valuable and a treat from that standpoint.

But he'd have to be introduced to the WWE audience for a project like this. He's not the name that he once was. It's been a good 15 years since he was last relevant in a mainstream sense. The fact that he's never even worked for WWE once also hurts him at this stage. It seems clunky and awkward to introduce him then shoehorn him into a match with Undertaker at the expense of stars who do matter to current fans (and will as time passes), like Bryan, Cena, Sheamus, Reigns etc for the sake of appeasing those who wanted this match a decade ago. It also takes time and effort to invest in introducing a new character (which is what Sting would be to WWE no matter what else he's done elsewhere), and is it worth all of that energy for the sake of one match? Sting wasn't setting the world on fire in the ring or on the mic the last time I saw him in TNA...

That also presumes Taker would want to wrestle him at this juncture. He'd have a big say in who he works with these days. And since he's not getting any younger, he'd want to make sure that anybody he'll be facing can either give him a classic match or at least be a box office monster (preferably both). You have neither guaranteed against a washed-up Sting. All the work in the ring and selling the match would be on Taker's shoulders. That's a lot to ask when he can just as soon go another way.

A cool interaction or moment (think Austin stunning Goldberg at Mania 20 for example) is definitely possible, but plans should go no further than that. They missed their window for this, if there ever was one, whether Sting likes it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I feel like they may as well wheel him out for Summerslam against someone or another, if nothing else it'll give a nice moment to wrap up the dvd documentary they make for him. Could be against Taker if they want too, Taker can **** the bed outside of Mania and still be a draw of some sort for one more Mania, I reckon. Although beyond this year (which I'm not super pumped for) and a match against Cena, I'm pretty skeptical as to whether Taker has anything left for Mania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think that Taker's matches at 'Mania have been overrated in recent because most of what makes them so dramatic are things that 'Taker's given licence to do i.e. about 3 or 4 false finishes, a kick out of the tombstone, knock out the ref. You could have these things in every match if it were allowed. There's also the inbuilt psychological element of the streak, but if you were to strip all those things away, there's not much that separates 'Taker's big 'mania match from everything else on the card. It's the gravitas surrounding the match rather than the match itself which garners the usually high rating, IMO. The last truly great psychological match that 'Taker's had was probably the 2006 match v. Angle at No Way Out where they sold Angle's ankle lock to the hilt and the fact that 'taker'd never tapped.

Losing the streak to Lesnar would be a mistake because Lesnar's never struck me as the type who intends to stick with WWE for the long haul and there's no point in giving the rub to a guy who's not going to carry it with him. That would be a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

If Sting came in now and the plans were for Taker vs Sting at Wrestlemania 31 - they would have to book Sting really strong for a whole year and I can't really see it. Ideally, he should have come in after the Rumble and had a short/strong buildup.

Advertisement