Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tobar or Tiobraid

• 07-01-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

I apologize for my intrusion in this forum, where probably the posts should be written in Irish, but I'm not even a native English speaker, so be soft on this, please.
    I know very little words of Irish, mainly learnt during my holidays in your country.
    My question is about the word "Tobar", that I know it should mean "well" or a "spring" of water, like in Tobar Naomh Padraig.
    Some time ago I came across the word "Tiobraid", which according to several sources should mean "well" too, as in Tiobraid Árann, the Irish name for Tipperary.
    Now, is the latter a corruption of Tobar, or is there more than one word to say "well", or is it just a variation due to local dialects?
    Thank you very much for your explanations!

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There is no requirement for posts in this forum to be written in Irish at all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Ó Duinín has it here:

http://glg.csisdmz.ul.ie/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Ó Duinín has it here:

http://glg.csisdmz.ul.ie/index.php

Tiobraid is translated as well or spring, alright, but Tobar isn't in the list :confused:

Toibraid is old Gaelic and not in use bar placenames as far as I can make out. Tobar has the same meanings....well, fountain, spring, source.
    Tobar is what is used today in Scotland as well as in Ireland so you can take it that Toibraid is more ancient.

Tiobraid is translated as well or spring, alright, but Tobar isn't in the list :confused:

It's not there in its own right but under tobairí (little wells) if you click on comhthéacs it'll give you his page on tobar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Thanks a lot! Now it's clear ;)

Advertisement