Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American tv conversion.....

• 07-01-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Can anyone advise as to how I could get a Samsung LCD tv that I bought in USA while I was living there to work in Ireland...I can power it up but no sound or picture....is there a converter box needed or something else? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What are you trying to connect it to - an aerial, UPC or Sky box? If an aerial, you will need to buy a Saorview set top box, the tuner in the TV won't work here.

You've posted in both the satellite forum and this forum, are you on cable or satellite or have you not decided yet :confused:

The voltage will also be a problem, you really should have left the TV in the US as you'll need a 220v to 110v transformer to get any mains-powered US appliance to work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

from a quick google it seems that your biggest hurdle will be the 60hz/50hz refresh rates...

And I am guessing since it powered up that it handles 220/240 V....US uses 110/120 @60HZ, we use 220/240 @50Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jimbob33

coylemj wrote: »
    What are you trying to connect it to - an aerial, UPC or Sky box? If an aerial, you will need to buy a Saorview set top box, the tuner in the TV won't work here.

You've posted in both the satellite forum and this forum, are you on cable or satellite or have you not decided yet :
    The voltage will also be a problem, you really should have left the TV in the US as you'll need a 220v to 110v transformer to get any mains-powered US appliance to work here.

To be honest I wasn't sure where to post.....I am trying to connect to a sky had box,I have the HDMI cable but no joy,I also have a transformer so mains power supply inst an issue.

Jimbob33 wrote: »
    To be honest I wasn't sure where to post.....I am trying to connect to a sky had box,I have the HDMI cable but no joy,I also have a transformer so mains power supply inst an issue.

Does the transformer also convert the frequency to 60 Hz? Are you able to bring up the TV setup menus?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jimbob33

Does the transformer also convert the frequency to 60 Hz? Are you able to bring up the TV setup menus?

No unfortunately the transformer is only for the power supply....I cannot get setup menus

• Advertisement

Jimbob33 wrote: »
    No unfortunately the transformer is only for the power supply....I cannot get setup menus

If you can't even get the setup menus then you're wasting your time connecting it to anything. For the benefit of other posters, you got this reply over in the Satellite forum......
    ei9go wrote: »
    There is an issue because US tv's normally do not have the correct chipset for European TV standard's which while they are now digital , they are still based on different framerates and line standards, a hangover from the analogue days.

Conversely, European TV's are likely to work in the USA.

a poster called 'The Cush' clicked the 'thanks' button to that post, he's a TV expert so I suspect you're not going to get very far. For my money, your real problem is the mains frequency but either way, it doesn't look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

a poster called 'The Cush' clicked the 'thanks' button to that post, he's a TV expert so I suspect you're not going to get very far.

:D Not an "expert" on this, learned something new on the other forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

Most non-Saorview approved (and Non-Freeview/freeSat) boxes for sale here can actually be set to output 60Hz HDMI standards (with 525-line NTSC on SCART)

The common (in this country) Ferguson combo Satellite/Terrestrial boxes certainly can.

However if you cannot see the TV's own menus there is something else wrong - has been damaged in transit?

The difference in mains frequency (50 or 60Hz) would not likely be an issue in a TV (unlike clocks, motors etc that would run too slow)

Advertisement