Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just heard Brent Bookwalter had a ding-dong, being examined now.

BnMIpToCcAAcV2Z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Jesus hope he's ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

Does anyone know if any enterprising shops in (preferably) Swords/Malahide area or failing that, Dublin, are selling pink flags etc.? Would like to get something for my 8 yr old to wave around as the peleton streaks past.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BBoyle88

Anyone hear anything about Dutch Corner at Kennedys? Many travelling over? would be great to create a carnival atmosphere around town! Weather looking ok(ish)

Quintana to be King of the mountains 4/1 with PP is my bet for the Giro

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Was out Swords, Blakes Corner, Skerries direction with work this morning. One Shop had bunting out!!!!

It is very very poor. Was up north last weekend and Stage 2 is awash with colour, Pubs and houses painted, every village with pink bunting up, a real massive effort and fair play to them.

Think down south we are going to let ourselves down real bad. Its a massive opportunity missed IMO given that it is being broadcast to 171 countries. Leo the Lion and Tourism Ireland have missed the ball big time here.
    I am actually raging over it.

Rant over

Cant wait for it though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Was out Swords, Blakes Corner, Skerries direction with work this morning. One Shop had bunting out!!!!

It is very very poor. Was up north last weekend and Stage 2 is awash with colour, Pubs and houses painted, every village with pink bunting up, a real massive effort and fair play to them.

Think down south we are going to let ourselves down real bad. Its a massive opportunity missed IMO given that it is being broadcast to 171 countries. Leo the Lion and Tourism Ireland have missed the ball big time here.

Rant over

Julianstown has made a decent effort - plenty of bunting out, tree trunks wrapped in pink, flags on top of trees, walls repainted - someone even had the foresight years ago to plant pink flowers in the landscaped parts of the village!!

the semi-derelict pub has been tarted up to disguise it's true nature and I saw someone out this morning going along and turning all the election posters so they all face away from the road.

And might as well give Coca Cola a plug, they seem to have sponsored a lot of the materials used.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Yep + 1 to Julianstown for effort. Didn't see much in Drogheda apart the Black Bull turning pink and getting a pink bike by it's side. Poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anyone surprised ?? Is'nt it the old "ahh **** it " attitude at its best ..... Shame on Cycling Ireland, and bord failte and the government...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Crankymonkey

Last night was great,though only stayed for the team presentation. Couple of funny moments, like team sky being led out by a british flag-when do u ever see that at city hall?! Arlene foster doing a wee "never" which was last done by big ian nigh on 30yr ago. Was busy town last nite; sitting outside muriel's watching guys in orwell wheelers tops ain't a regular thang. Shake off the hangover and stranmillis bound in two hours-probably via the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Occasional lurker, first time poster, non-cycling, occasional Tour de France watcher here.

Can I just say how massively proud I am of the giro being over here. Yes I'm a token fan who's never watched a giro before, but I can't but help get caught up in the buzz around Belfast.

For so long we had nothing coming this way except plane loads of reporters to report on the riots. Now I find myself refreshing twitter every few minutes to see what people think of Belfast.

Caught a glimpse of the teams out for practice this morning and while I'm gutted I can't make it down this evening, I'll be glued to bbcni later on.

Going to make it to stage 3, found a spot with a tight enough bend that I hope will be a good place to watch from.

Happy spectating one and all :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

postitnote wrote: »
    Occasional lurker, first time poster, non-cycling, occasional Tour de France watcher here.

Can I just say how massively proud I am of the giro being over here. Yes I'm a token fan who's never watched a giro before, but I can't but help get caught up in the buzz around Belfast.

For so long we had nothing coming this way except plane loads of reporters to report on the riots. Now I find myself refreshing twitter every few minutes to see what people think of Belfast.

Caught a glimpse of the teams out for practice this morning and while I'm gutted I can't make it down this evening, I'll be glued to bbcni later on.

Going to make it to stage 3, found a spot with a tight enough bend that I hope will be a good place to watch from.

Happy spectating one and all :)

I think Belfast should be proud...looks like they have embraced the race and put on a great show
    Here's hoping you get into cycling from this as its a fantastic sport to follow...once you know the nuances/riders/tactics it can be fascinating to watch and great to ride also

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pab01

Anyone got a working link to a timetable for the caravan? Been going through as many sites as I can and can't find it. I did have copy on phone but its currently somewhere in England being fixed.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

RonanCFD wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any enterprising shops in (preferably) Swords/Malahide area or failing that, Dublin, are selling pink flags etc.? Would like to get something for my 8 yr old to wave around as the peleton streaks past.
    Caravan that will pass before cyclists go by likely to have flags etc. Get to side of road early and you will get something for them to wave

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Rant over

You'd hardly know it was coming to Dublin at all, a few posters at bus stops is the most I've seen, the city centre should be bright pink at this stage. I did notice while out last weekend that the East Wall Road got some very badly needed resurfacing which I presume is down to the Giro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Valentine1 wrote: »
    You'd hardly know it was coming to Dublin at all, a few posters at bus stops is the most I've seen, the city centre should be bright pink at this stage. I did notice while out last weekend that the East Wall Road got some very badly needed resurfacing which I presume is down to the Giro?

Was just thinking that yesterday on a spin back from Howth, I would have expected the shops and hotel around Sutton X for example to have pink banners up or something...but nothing all the way down to St. Anne's park apart from the s**tty election posters!
    The road between the Bull Island causeways is still like the surface of the moon so might be a good spot to see some punctures!

Overall though, the South/Dublin haven't paid a fraction of the attention that the Nordies have to the event...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You'd hardly know it was coming to Dublin at all, a few posters at bus stops is the most I've seen, the city centre should be bright pink at this stage.
    You'd have to be living under a fairly big stone at this stage in fairness not to know it's coming. Of course they could always do more, but I can't think anyone will pick up a paper Monday and say "I never knew that was coming to Dublin, would have liked to have seen that".

Any keen cycling fan will be out in force, the amount of casuals will depend on the weather. No amount of pink paint would have changed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Was just thinking that yesterday on a spin back from Howth, I would have expected the shops and hotel around Sutton X for example to have pink banners up or something...but nothing all the way down to St. Anne's park apart from the s**tty election posters!
    The road between the Bull Island causeways is still like the surface of the moon so might be a good spot to see some punctures!

Overall though, the South/Dublin haven't paid a fraction of the attention that the Nordies have to the event...

its not going through sutton cross. I live in baldoyle and was in portmarnock and malahide yesterday and between the 3 towns there were a few strings of bunting around the ulster bank in malahide.

All you complaining about the bunting...get out and put up some...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

neris wrote: »
    its not going through sutton cross. I live in baldoyle and was in portmarnock and malahide yesterday and between the 3 towns there were a few strings of bunting around the ulster bank in malahide.

I too guessed it was going through Sutton X. So they'll keep straight through Baldoyle and turn right on to the Coast Road at the Elf Inn pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Was at the presentation last night.

Enjoyed being so close to the riders.

Got up early this morning and walked a bit of the route, as the cyclists went on their practice runs.

Was better then the race itself in a way as you got to see each team 3/4 times passing.

The sound of the team passing in formation is incredible. Its like a high speed train.

Got up close to the Lampre and Orica Greenedge teams while they did a quick team meeting at the side of the road before they set off again. Obviously didn't understand a word of the Lampre team talk though.

Got to see AG2R setting up their bikes at the team Bus, and the importance put into tiny tweaks. All done by the feel of the bike and the eyes of the engineer.

Unreal support here, especially for Nico, Phillip and Dan. Nico got a bit emotional last night on stage, meant a lot to him. Dan seemed to enjoy it more.

Heading down now for the TT proper. Less photos and more cheering from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

So we are off in 20 mins. Call it! I'm gonna go with J Rod on the basis that he knows time is ticking and this is his chance. Head screams Quintana but something tells me Rodriguez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

And.....We're off!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gonna be embarrassing when they come down here after looking at how Belfast has welcomed the Giro.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Think down south we are going to let ourselves down real bad.

I have the pink bunting ready to go for the house - will put it up tomorrow. Have also just found a roll of pink gaff tape in work so might get creative with that too...........

That said, although the route goes through my area, there isn't a scrap of pink anywhere around yet (apart from the road closure signs). frown.png
    I too guessed it was going through Sutton X. So they'll keep straight through Baldoyle and turn right on to the Coast Road at the Elf Inn pub?

Yup. I might head for that corner at the pub and camp out there. At least they'll have to slow down somewhat for the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Got a call from work this morning, "We need you to go to Belfast today..." :D
    Got to see most of the teams doing a recce of the course.
    Good buzz about the city, should be electric now.
    Took some (crap) video....

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I unfortunately have to agree with earlier posters regarding the lack of effort that Dublin civic authorities have made.
    I took a stroll down to Merrion Sq this afternoon to assess where I might watch the finale of stage 3.
    You would have no idea that one of the biggest cycling events in the world is coming to town this w/e.
    Vey very shortsighted. A work colleague of mine lives close to the finish line and was unaware of the fact that an event of this size was coming to her neighbourhood.

A big big opportunity missed.

Crowds are a bit too forward for a TTT...need to be off the road

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

MPFG wrote: »
    Crowds are a bit too forward for a TTT...need to be off the road
    Please keep discussion of today's stage to the dedicated thread

Thanks

Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Please keep discussion of today's stage to the dedicated thread

Thanks

Beasty

Happytramp and Furious above wrote about the stage in here and no reprimand !!!

And to eb honest its hard to follow which thread

Maybe you could be consistent in your sanction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I'd reckon they only got a telling off as they din't actually give away much information/ any spoilers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Inquitus wrote: »
    Gonna be embarrassing when they come down here after looking at how Belfast has welcomed the Giro.....

You could feel how embarassed/unhappy Sean Kelly was on Eurosport when asked if the South had embraced the Giro as much as the North had. A massive opportunity missed by Bord Fáilte and the Govt.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you have a problem with modding or question for the mods, PM them. Never derail a thread by discussing modding.

My earlier post was aimed at everyone to avoid anyone falling into the trap of posting spoiler information when forum rules are very clear on the matter. Yours was the first one posted during the stage with comments about the "action", albeit only somenting on the crowds, which prompted my in-thread warning for everyone's benefit, and not just yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Anyone wearing a panda suit?

Not me ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Yes but I'm home here on the couch with the missus, kids away on hols etc, tmi?:confused:

Last time I'm going to say this - just deleted a couple of posts with current stage info, and amended the thread title to make the rules clear - keep such discussion that to stage specific threads, as we'll be handing out cards for future transgressions

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

I passed by the shops near the junction of Clontarf Rd and Alfie Byrne Rd and some seem to have made a bit of effort with bunting etc up but I haven't spotted much elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ill be round westland row on sunday with a yellow jersey just to mess with everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭pantani

Anyone know where the team buses will be parked in Dublin, would be a great spot to see your favourite cyclist (Nico)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

pab01 wrote: »
    Anyone got a working link to a timetable for the caravan? Been going through as many sites as I can and can't find it. I did have copy on phone but its currently somewhere in England being fixed.

Cheers

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/the-big-giro-ditalia-finale-from-armagh-to-dublin-stage-3-time-schedule-exact-route/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm a bit disappointed at the interest levels of people I know. I don't know of anybody going into town, let alone excited about it. One colleague wanted to know when things were happening so he wouldn't be inconvenienced getting around.

Sunday is looking a bit like rain here and there so I hope we (boardsies) aren't the only ones in town for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm a bit disappointed at the interest levels of people I know. I don't know of anybody going into town, let alone excited about it. One colleague wanted to know when things were happening so he wouldn't be inconvenienced getting around.
    I'm sure Hurling, rugby, football etc fans would love everyone to share their interest too. Why does everyone feel the need for everyone to jump on the bandwagon that's coming to Ireland for a few hours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm sure Hurling, rugby, football etc fans would love everyone to share their interest too. Why does everyone feel the need for everyone to jump on the bandwagon that's coming to Ireland for a few hours :rolleyes:

Because it's a huge international event that is not only is of interest to Irish cycling fans but is a chance to showcase Ireland to a worldwide audience and provide a much needed boost to tourism.

Empty streets will just project a sense of apathy and perhaps make the place look a little insular.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Was just about to ask the same question, so thanks. I tried www.girostart2014.com, but it has been down for the last few hours.

I have zero knowledge of cycling, but have a 6 year duly excited about the big event, so plan on seeing it between Drogheda and Julianstown. My only question relates to the ETA's on the schedule. My understanding is that the main body of riders are in the peloton, so what is in the caravan that comes an hour and a half in advance of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

delly wrote: »
    Was just about to ask the same question, so thanks. I tried www.girostart2014.com, but it has been down for the last few hours.

I have zero knowledge of cycling, but have a 6 year duly excited about the big event, so plan on seeing it between Drogheda and Julianstown. My only question relates to the ETA's on the schedule. My understanding is that the main body of riders are in the peloton, so what is in the caravan that comes an hour and a half in advance of this?

The last time I saw the Giro they were giving away free promotional items and also selling Giro fan packs (t-shirt, keyring, cap) for cheap enough prices. There's floats too a bit like a parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Can't take that commentator on eurosport. Over pronounces everything (Loooyieige Bastogne-YUH LuiYieyayjzia).

Have to listen to that now for 3 weeks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

fat bloke wrote: »
    Can't take that commentator on eurosport. Over pronounces everything (Loooyieige Bastogne-YUH LuiYieyayjzia).

Have to listen to that now for 3 weeks :rolleyes:

two words. Mute. Button. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

lennymc wrote: »
    two words. Mute. Button. :)

No way! I'll put up with him and worse for Kelly's pearls! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Not sure if this was already posted but it's a nice review of the stages being ridden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

What bars will be busy tomorrow evening after the stage finish?, theres a group of us are up from the sticks for the night so looking to party into the early hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement