Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

What kind of people are out there.Drogheda whlrs have a sign up on a grassy bank in town for the past 2 weeks.Some numbskulls decided last night to rip it down and use all 16ft of it to slide down the same wet grassy bank.I dont know anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm sure Hurling, rugby, football etc fans would love everyone to share their interest too. Why does everyone feel the need for everyone to jump on the bandwagon that's coming to Ireland for a few hours :rolleyes:

So you don't want to see a great spectacle or experience anything new...that's fine. I'm just surprised that so many others don't. There was a huge turnout for the TdF years ago, bit I just think the Giro isn't in mind here in the same way.

I've no interest in rugby, but if the Rugby WC came to Dublin and was on for free in the city centre....yeah, I'd give it a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

If I wasn't working I'd be there. People I have been talking to in cork haven't a clue and kinda shrug. But if it was some local gaa match they would go all the way to Belfast for it. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Took a spin in the car around by broad meadows and through seabury to Malahide village yesterday, the road surface is really poor along the estuary with not one repair performed and the speed bumps through the back of seabury could cause some problems. A good viewing point might be at the corner at swords yacht club, nice little 90 degree turn will slow the peloton down so you can see them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

delly wrote: »
    Was just about to ask the same question, so thanks. I tried www.girostart2014.com, but it has been down for the last few hours.

I have zero knowledge of cycling, but have a 6 year duly excited about the big event, so plan on seeing it between Drogheda and Julianstown. My only question relates to the ETA's on the schedule. My understanding is that the main body of riders are in the peloton, so what is in the caravan that comes an hour and a half in advance of this?
    The caravan is group of sponsor vehicles which pass through the route first. Not sure if there's many on the route tbh, but there may be freebies involved, though they may not be worth the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Don't know if it's posted already but Cycling News have issued a Tour Tracker app for the 3 Grand Tours this year. It's pretty decent too, course maps & profiles of each stage, rider profiles, classification standings for all jerseys & more.

http://m.cyclingnews.com/news/cyclingnews-launches-free-giro-ditalia-tracking-app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Lads

Help me decide where i should go for stage 3. I live in ballsbridge so I am spoilt for choice, poor me!

I was thinking of either going straight to the finish area on merrion square and seeing hopefully a sprint finish. Alternatively I could head down to the quays area say at the point depot and see the peleton in full strength lash by. However I then have no chance of getting home to see the finish on tv.

What do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm one of these band wagon jumpers i'm afraid.

Does anyone know a good place to watch the race with a couple of kids in tow in dublin, that won't be overcrowded?

I really want to see this - i'd imagine these lads are pretty much the best of the best? Don't really follow cycling but i'd like to show my support for this.

Sorry if it offends anyone that i'm hoping on a bandwagon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

It's a big bandwagon, please feel free to jump aboard. The more the merrier. :)

If you want to avoid the worst of the crowds somewhere along the north quays might be a good bet for a good view without being squashed out of it. You could pop in for a cup of tea afterwards in a local coffee shop or at the Jurys or the other hotel that used to be the Clarion Hotel, (think it changed its name recently).

One problem with the quays will be that the peleton, (big bunch of riders if you are not familiar with the lingo), will whizz past very quickly if there are no hills or corners to slow them down. On the other hand you should get a good view and it will look fairly spectacular at full speed compared to a slow slog up a big hill.

Merrion Square direction will probably have a good atmosphere, but it might be too crowded.

A different tack would be to take a Dart to Clontarf and watch them along the sea-front. Should be less crowds and if you get there really early the kids could get some stuff from the "Caravan", a promotional vehicle that gives out freebies to the crowds about an hour and a half before the riders arrive.

Others may have better ideas. I'm not sure of the best location myself, so I look forward to other suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

The very poor road surface along with various street furniture at the top of Westland Row should be interesting for the expected sprint finish.

They have resurfaced the main road but not the tight turn to the Davenport Hotel it is uneven and potholed.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Westland+Row/@53.342049,-6.250569,3a,90y,100.71h,73.69t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1siIGVR3w0zWbHbhzw-B2QlA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670e910113b6f7:0xa73a79b5037a3583

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

CptMackey wrote: »
    If I wasn't working I'd be there. People I have been talking to in cork haven't a clue and kinda shrug. But if it was some local gaa match they would go all the way to Belfast for it. :/

Sounds like you've just happened to be talking to a few people who are mad into GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im gonna head to westland row round2 or so, if thats too busy, will cross the road (ringsend side) and head north to the river.
    The route comes in a loop down the north quays across the bridge and back along city quay nefore turning up lombard st...If and when they close that off there should be far less people on the 'inner' side than the outer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If anyone has kids in tow for the event on Sunday I've heard there is a family fun day thingy on in Malahide too. The Caravane is also stopping there to give out goodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Also, last day of the premiership tmoro which will see a lot of people stay inside pubs or at home between 3 and 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thanks lads, that's a great help.

I have an uncle who flew in from england for this. He's a keen cyclist and texted me to tell me not to miss this.

I'm really looking forward to it - seriously impressive to get a sporting event of this magnitude on our doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Because it's a huge international event that is not only is of interest to Irish cycling fans but is a chance to showcase Ireland to a worldwide audience and provide a much needed boost to tourism.

Empty streets will just project a sense of apathy and perhaps make the place look a little insular.
    It gets worse. As the english soccer is having their big final day of the year from 2pm on Sunday you are highly unlikely to persuade a pub owner to show the giro on TV whilst waiting on the peleton.
    A pity really but in fairness cycling is a minority sport. No one in my work had any idea the second biggest cycling race on the planet was coming to dublin this weekend..

The fact that so many foriends/co-workers etc are unaware of what's happening this weekend is a sign of the complete failure of Bord Fáilte to promote the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I am blown away by how beautiful the Antrim coast is. I had no idea whatsoever.
    In terms of TV and tourism, what a great choice.
    I would love to cycle up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

bazermc wrote: »
    Lads

Help me decide where i should go for stage 3. I live in ballsbridge so I am spoilt for choice, poor me!

I was thinking of either going straight to the finish area on merrion square and seeing hopefully a sprint finish. Alternatively I could head down to the quays area say at the point depot and see the peleton in full strength lash by. However I then have no chance of getting home to see the finish on tv.

What do ye think?

IMHO head to a technical area close tonthe finish where you may see the lead outs.
    I have seen a few races from finish line, usually you see nothing due to the speed.
    I am thinking of heading to Matt Talbot bridge or else the corner of Westland Row and Lincoln place.

ROK ON wrote: »

Giant's Causeway Sportive. The coast also continues in a similar manner through the whole of the north of Ireland into Donegal etc. Pity Donegal tourism can't seem to pull more business it's way by emphasising the quieter roads and Northwest Passage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

What time would you have to be in at merrian square tomorrow to get a good spot do you think?

Just back from the cycle show in the square. Wasn't great to be honest. Loads of stands that had no relevance to cycling.

I also had a look at the finish line area. They were just starting to put up an area. There was a load of Irish lads measuring the area with their feet. Hilarious.

Photo attached of finish lie area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Wow, incredible, can really see the atmosphere start to build!!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

driving through portmarnock earlier they have little direction signs up on the poles for the riders. didnt think a grand tour would have those. On a seperate questoon, how acurate are the times they give for the eta of the peleton in locations along the route? Says its passing near my place at 3:55

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

I was impressed with the cycle show in Merrion Square. I'd no idea what was in it going in, but ended up having a few good chats with the lads at the stalls, some good cycling jerseys for sale for cheap (in cycle jersey terms), and some nice freebies (energy bars, gels, water bottles).

I don't think I'm going to go in to square for the finish though, it'll be far too packed and controlled and they'll just fly in and you won't see much.

I'm thinking of watching somewhere out along by Portmarnock, maybe Strand/Coast Road roundabout or somewhere like that. Question though, even though the roads close around there at 1:30 will it still be handy enough to get around to get a good spot on the bike, say if I were there an hour or so later? (caravan ETA 2pm, peloton 3:50pm)

neris wrote: »
    driving through portmarnock earlier they have little direction signs up on the poles for the riders. didnt think a grand tour would have those. On a seperate questoon, how acurate are the times they give for the eta of the peleton in locations along the route? Says its passing near my place at 3:55

I'm volunteering at the event and we were given three times depending on the average speed of the race.
    If you drop me a pm I can relay some of the details to you - I only have it in a hard copy document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Tomorrows stage timetable HERE. (pdf)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

To those wondering when the caravane is going by, it's 2 hours before the peleton. I am supposed to be marshalling tomorrow but have to go to Cavan instead :( They covered where it'll be stopping too in the marshalling training but I don't have the info on me at the moment. Not even gonna get it on the tv either :(
    Today and yesterday were deadly, apart from Dan obviously. I forgot to set it to record before i left this morning too :mad:

• Advertisement

jinkypolly wrote: »
    Tomorrows stage timetable HERE. (pdf)

That's not even close to the times I have here - they have Dublin @15:07. I have the fastest time as 16:00 and the slowest as 16:26.

Another tip if you're out and about ask anyone with a radio piece in their ear - they will be listening into constant updates on where the race is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

gadetra wrote: »
    To those wondering when the caravane is going by, it's 2 hours before the peleton. I am supposed to be marshalling tomorrow but have to go to Cavan instead :( They covered where it'll be stopping too in the marshalling training but I don't have the info on me at the moment. Not even gonna get it on the tv either :(
    Today and yesterday were deadly, apart from Dan obviously. I forgot to set it to record before i left this morning too :mad:

Its usually on youtube.com some hours after the race or Eurosport/SKY highlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

ROK ON wrote: »

get up on the enterprise train and do it :)
    Glad to see the place get massive positivity , it doesnt half need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

That's not even close to the times I have here - they have Dublin @15:07. I have the fastest time as 16:00 and the slowest as 16:26.

Another tip if you're out and about ask anyone with a radio piece in their ear - they will be listening into constant updates on where the race is.

I was going by the times from the official site which is estimating finishing in Dublin around 16.00. Which are the best to go by.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    I was going by the times from the official site which is estimating finishing in Dublin around 16.00. Which are the best to go by.

Where are you going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rpwh1

Hello - first time post!

Did many people get the Rapha invitation for the morning mentioned earlier in the thread? Trying to decide whether to go - might be weather dependent, if today is anything to go by.

Are many from here going/know what's involved? I asked them about secure bike parking on return from the cycle and it was a "no". Trying to figure out what to do about that part.

• Advertisement

Where are you going to be?

Contarf/Alfie Byrne Rd area

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Contarf/Alfie Byrne Rd area

These are the times I have for that area:
    @44kph - 15:54
    @42kph - 16:06
    @40kph - 16.19

These are the times I have for that area:
    @44kph - 15:54
    @42kph - 16:06
    @40kph - 16.19

Thanks, just got worried when I saw the other times. Will be able to make that no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Doc07

I can't wait to see the action up close in Dublin, albeit for a few seconds as they sprint at 60km. At this stage it doesn't bother me if there are no big crowds. Very few sports will ever compete with the final day of the English premier league. I'm a Liverpool fan but I'll be standing as close to finish line as the Garda let me with my 6 month old in tow in a Boards black/pink jersey and my son will be draped in a Pantani jersey from the 99 Giro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Well at least the bricks are kinda pink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Right was up in belfast myself for 2days, the presentation was what it was, good way to get see all teams.

Morning of the team time trial brillant as they had recon planned from 10-12.30 most teams turned up and set up shop from the titanic museum so we got good view of the bikes and got to meet lots of the riders.

Meet one of my favourite riders and had a chat did not let himself down in flesh a gent.

BnMgKCWCIAAgRc5.jpg

The ttt was good to watch and to anyone going to a race I would recommend it as it was great watch I use twitter to keep track of goings on while waiting. Saw them off this morning with all teams about meet Hansen which was cool and lots of other riders. Also got chatting to Ag2r mechanic in french while he waited on his riders really good lad answered lots of questions. Also made mistake of calling Roche Majka as wrapped up they looked similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

manafana wrote: »
    Right was up in belfast myself for 2days, the presentation was what it was, good way to get see all teams.

Morning of the team time trial brillant as they had recon planned from 10-12.30 most teams turned up and set up shop from the titanic museum so we got good view of the bikes and got to meet lots of the riders.

Meet one of my favourite riders and had a chat did not let himself down in flesh a gent.

BnMgKCWCIAAgRc5.jpg

The ttt was good to watch and to anyone going to a race I would recommend it as it was great watch I use twitter to keep track of goings on while waiting. Saw them off this morning with all teams about meet Hansen which was cool and lots of other riders. Also got chatting to Ag2r mechanic in french while he waited on his riders really good lad answered lots of questions. Also made mistake of calling Roche Majka as wrapped up they looked similar.

Yeah I agree with all that. TTTs are definitely a lot more entertaining when you're watching in person. Paddock was well worth a visit too, but only the once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Does anyone know the route into Dublin? Thinking of finding a perch somewhere on the quays. From the timetable, all I know is that it crosses Talbot Memorial Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Does anyone know the route into Dublin? Thinking of finding a perch somewhere on the quays. From the timetable, all I know is that it crosses Talbot Memorial Bridge.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/Events/Documents/GirodItaliaDublinCityRoute.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thanks. It goes pretty much by where I work so can head in on the bike, leave it there and stroll up to the quays. I imagine the finish will be bedlam, so will probably avoid that unless there's stuff on. Had I known there was stuff to buy i might have gone yesterday, assume it won't be there today

Weepsie wrote: »
    Thanks. It goes pretty much by where I work so can head in on the bike, leave it there and stroll up to the quays. I imagine the finish will be bedlam, so will probably avoid that unless there's stuff on. Had I known there was stuff to buy i might have gone yesterday, assume it won't be there today

The cycling show ( wt stuff to buy) is still there today in Merrion square...also imagine buses will be parked off Merrion sq....maybe southside so could see riders up close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

retalivity wrote: »
    Also, last day of the premiership tmoro which will see a lot of people stay inside pubs or at home between 3 and 5

How sad and pathetic.

Great day out up north yesterday despite the weather. Managed to see the race in Ballymoney and then a train to Belfast to see the finish. Great buzz about the city and with all the tourists milling around a well needed tonic for the place.

The Giro has been an outstanding success for the north.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    How sad and pathetic.

Great day out up north yesterday despite the weather. Managed to see the race in Ballymoney and then a train to Belfast to see the finish. Great buzz about the city and with all the tourists milling around a well needed tonic for the place.

The Giro has been an outstanding success for the north.

I saw German,Colombian & Spanish flags on TV but were there alot of Italian or British around ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

MPFG wrote: »
    I saw German,Colombian & Spanish flags on TV but were there alot of Italian or British around ??

Sure were. People from every continent too judging by the accents.

Just to add when there was a presentation made to Martin McGuinness and Peter Robinson on the stage the english announcer left out Robinson altogether:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

That's brilliant, man. I spent ages trying to find that. Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement