Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

They'll do it like the Rás. A full week of racing in a 30 minute show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Plastik wrote: »
    They'll do it like the Rás. A full week of racing in a 30 minute show.

Pity! Plenty of material to do a good hour long show every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

pkvader wrote: »
    Where is the finish line in Dublin city centre lads?, and whats the closest pub? :)

Gingerman might be best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Pity! Plenty of material to do a good hour long show every night.

But do they have the television rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

What's the story is anyone into riding the stage into Dublin a couple of weeks beforehand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    would be great to see the locals in belfast all wearing pink for the giro. but some would also disapprove ha

Talkabout and myself are getting this :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

el tel wrote: »
    In marked contrast, the publicity in the North is quite impressive. It's on TV all the time, and all over social media. There is quite a buzz and people seem to be buying to it in a big way. Every week I get a couple of emails from Belfast City Council about various associated events which have been ongoing since the start of the year.

Maybe if it was renamed 'Google d'Italia' or 'Giro d'Intel' the state agencies in the Republic would be all over it like a rash.
    Just not American enough as Giro d'Italia.

Kelly is correct in his summation and a lot of people are going to get a shock when this great race hits town.
    Another opportunity missed. Perhaps those 'green shoots' are blocking the view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Twould be great if RTE made or showed a couple of quality Giro documentaries in the lead-in to it. Obviously there's dramatic storylines & epic scenery in there; for instance particularly if they chose to focus on the Bartali/Coppi era with Bartali's work in the Italian resistance a real hook for a wider audience.

And then there's Stephen Roche's Giro win which has to be one of the most drama & intrigue filled of all Grand Tour wins. Roche had to be made of unbelievable stuff to push through for that win. They should certainly be airing a documentary with Roche on board though of course it should already be made, with just the airing of it to be done.

Really, come to think of it with any kind of objectivity, what Roche did that year completely surpasses every other Irish sporting achievement ever - focusing on one concentrated period like one season now rather than say an entire career where obviously the achievements of Kelly or Brian O Driscoll you could say go higher. We'd basically have to win a World Cup in rugby or soccer to be talking in any kind of comparable terms as to what Roche did in 87, the only other person to have done that Treble being Merckx, for me the most epic of all sportsmen, & it certainly doesn't look like anyone's going to be repeating it any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Ladbrokes betting odds on the Giro below

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/ie-ie/Cycling/Giro-d%27ItaliaCycling/Giro-d%27Italia-t210004186

Any stand-out things there for anyone. Horner at 25/1 for instance for a guy who just won the Vuelta - realistic or generous. Roche at 125/1 - is a podium highly, highly unlikely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

pelevin wrote: »
    Ladbrokes betting odds on the Giro below

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/ie-ie/Cycling/Giro-d%27ItaliaCycling/Giro-d%27Italia-t210004186

Any stand-out things there for anyone. Horner at 25/1 for instance for a guy who just won the Vuelta - realistic or generous. Roche at 125/1 - is a podium highly, highly unlikely?

Well I think the odds for Nico are totally ridiculous

Did no one see the Vuelta ???

I know he will find the Zoncolan tough but he can certainly hang in there
    And there are 2 ITT and three weeks of racing and he is one of the most consistent in top finishes
    How is MIkja 40/1 and Dan 66/1 but Nico 125/1
    Mijka is a good climber but for the Angrilu he was far below Nico in the Vuelta esp in first 2 weeks
    And much as I love Dan he does not TT , never been in a top 5 in GT and 3 weeks always proves a bit much for him

But the more people here say Nico won't do well the more he will I reckon so keep it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

was talking to my sister recently, who lives up north, and she told that there is a real buzz up north and even she ,who has never had any interest in cycling, cant wait. the main difference seems to but the amount of events in the lead up to the giro and the push for tourism related to it, as for here there was a article in the drogheda independant a couple of weeks ago complaining how much trouble it will cause for the town with traffic,communions etc and nothing about the positives like tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PHILI007

Obviously the organisers haven't seen the Clontarf or East Wall roads recently, they're an absolute disgrace. Apart from the potholes and deplorable surfaces there are 40/50mm wide grooves right down the centre of the Clontarf Road. While crossing the Clontarf Road recently, I got caught in one of these grooves and almost ended up in the path of an on coming car. What a shame it would be if a front rider did likewise and ended up bringing down the bunch. Are these comments going to fall on deaf ears or will somebody wake up and take note before this wonderful sporting event comes to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

but there is no stage here..just a finish. So i guess if there was a prologue or start and finish it would be different.

TourismNI is doing it to try get bed nights sold in NI for the race. Do people think there will be a load of people coming for a stage finish in Merrion Sq. I am not being negative I think its great its coming

morana wrote: »
    but there is no stage here..just a finish. So i guess if there was a prologue or start and finish it would be different.

TourismNI is doing it to try get bed nights sold in NI for the race. Do people think there will be a load of people coming for a stage finish in Merrion Sq. I am not being negative I think its great its coming

But it is not just about selling beds at the race...that is just a small part of it
    The race can show case Ireland to the world and raise the profile of cycling in Ireland...the best way to do this if everyone is behind the race and involved....organizing events for 1. people who may not know/like cycling; the Giro entourage and for the world media to see...people by the roadside and displays in fields and towns with bunting and pink everywhere

Northern Ireland are doing a good job.....south of the border don't seem to care
    More needs to be done to show people why the sport is great and what a fun prestigious event the Giro is

The Giro is coming to Northern Ireland, it's basically just passing through the Republic. They get three Stage starts and two finishes whereas the South has one hour of TV coverage and a finish. To look at in a super cynical way, It's basically just a fairly direct route from Belfast to the airport that doesn't even really try to showcase much of the east coast scenery. I'd like to see a bigger deal of it made but it's basically a Northern Irish thing.

MPFG wrote: »
    But it is not just about selling beds at the race...that is just a small part of it
    The race can show case Ireland to the world and raise the profile of cycling in Ireland...the best way to do this if everyone is behind the race and involved....organizing events for 1. people who may not know/like cycling; the Giro entourage and for the world media to see...people by the roadside and displays in fields and towns with bunting and pink everywhere

Northern Ireland are doing a good job.....south of the border don't seem to care
    More needs to be done to show people why the sport is great and what a fun prestigious event the Giro is

having dealt with the Irish Tourism board in relation to races in Ireland bed nights is the "huge" part of it and the spend from those attending. they specifically want to target france, germany, uk and usa.

Mornaa & Happytramp

I guess you know best and Sean Kelly must be wrong then calling for more to be done in the Republic ...He obviously hasn't taken on board that is just a race passing through and there is very little possibility of beds, which is what really counts

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Doc07 wrote: »
    Gingerman might be best bet.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I would love to see people stay tuned into the Giro when it leaves Ireland and returns to Italy. Some great stages. People tend to lose interest when it goes

Mornaa & Happytramp

I guess you know best and Sean Kelly must be wrong then calling for more to be done in the Republic.

No he's right. I think we're just try to reason why more hasn't/isn't being done.

Ironically, that piece by Sean Kelly was the only Irish media reference to the Giro I've seen in weeks.

Morana & Happytramp

I guess you know best and Sean Kelly must be wrong then calling for more to be done in the Republic ...He obviously hasn't taken on board that is just a race passing through and there is very little possibility of beds, which is what really counts

@MPFG
    look i am just telling you what the irish tourist board say when you are looking for funds to promote a race and i assume it would be them stumping up for TV adverts etc

PS fixed my name for you ;)

Sorry about your name there Morgana :D

I know you are right about Irish Tourist board but my point was that they maybe should do something

Ah wellwe can only wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

So what happened to the route down the Howth Road ? I thought thats why it was resurfaced recently.

Cant believe its going along the Clontarf Road - its in bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

^That would have saved me a trip. Never knew it was due to go down the Howth Road. Some parts are still in bits though, lots of standing water at the sides. Still better than the seafront road conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Yeah, it was in good shape before the storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

are there a group from boards.ie cycling the route ?????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

RobFowl wrote: »
    Did the TDF do a lap of Howth? I don't recall that.

The Nissan did in 1988 and it destroyed my vision of Howth as being a serious hill :(

They went up in a group in the big ring (Village side)

They went up it four times, didn't split the bunch as far as I remember. Similarly the TDF stage that went over the Sally gap finished in a bunch sprit. Do we have to face facts that no hill in Ireland is though enough to split the pro peloton?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

figs666 wrote: »
    are there a group from boards.ie cycling the route ?????????????

BUMP:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Anyone know what time the team time trial is due to start in Belfast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

TT start at 17.30 on the Friday, practice session during the day.

What about the Big italian bike race sportive the weekend before in stage 2. All sold out, face book suggestion just to turn up and cycle away. Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

joxerjohn wrote: »
    What about the Big italian bike race sportive the weekend before in stage 2. All sold out, face book suggestion just to turn up and cycle away. Any thoughts ?

As with all sportives, its on the public highway, so there is nothing to stop you. Just dont expect to be allowed to use food/water/showers other facilities and neither will you be covered by the events insurance. Even if you are a memeber of a CI affiliated club, your RoI insurance should be checked to see of you are covered.

Good point as CI is an All Ireland Organisation, CI Insurance should be ok I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

happytramp wrote: »
    It's basically just a fairly direct route from Belfast to the airport that doesn't even really try to showcase much of the east coast scenery. I'd like to see a bigger deal of it made but it's basically a Northern Irish thing.

Stage to Dublin departs from Armagh, not Belfast.

Anyway, lots of the big races go through a huge propotion o nondescript, uninspiring countryside and landscapes. The route from Armagh to Dublin will look grand on TV. It will be nice and green, that's what people abroad will be happy to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

el tel wrote: »
    Stage to Dublin departs from Armagh, not Belfast.

Anyway, lots of the big races go through a huge propotion o nondescript, uninspiring countryside and landscapes. The route from Armagh to Dublin will look grand on TV. It will be nice and green, that's what people abroad will be happy to see.

Agreed.
    The bottom line is that an opportunity to promote tourism is being missed. Tourists have to be enticed to visit before they will be occupying any beds. This is an excellent marketing opportunity which, if managed with any degree of professionalism, could benefit the economy far beyond the duration of 'il Giro'.
    Unfortunately, common sense is not very common when it comes to investment by our state agencies.
    Lash up the prices, screw everyone, moan tomorrow about the lack of business. #ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

will Deignan ride? or is he still out injured? hes done well in the States last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    will Deignan ride? or is he still out injured? hes done well in the States last few years

he will ride. We are more worried to see if beasty will make an appearance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Anyone doing the grandfondo the week before it starts? Chainreaction are running it. 140 mile cycle up round the north antrim coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Anyone doing the grandfondo the week before it starts? Chainreaction are running it. 140 mile cycle up round the north antrim coast!

I'm planning on doing it, longest spin I've done this year was a 125k and I was bolloxed after a 95k spin last weekend so I have some work to do!! Did the ring of Kerry last year but this looks a lot tougher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Im panicking a bit to be honest! I have the paris marathon at the start of april so i am not able to get out for 100+ mile spins on the bike yet! The longest I've went this year is 60 mile! I'll be trying to squeeze in training in april for it which isn't ideal. I don't know if i will have it in the legs to go for 140 so I am considering dropping into the 80mile one which will be more than manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

A Giro related question - I think. I have a club jersey that I want to get signed by as many former TdF and Giro/Classic winners as possible. My idea is to eventually own a jersey with 15 - 20 names signed on it and then donate the jersey to Crumlin or St Vincents hospital to raise funds through auctioning it. I have Greg Lemond, Stephen Roche and Sean Kelly so far and I intend heading up to Belfast for the pre launch of the race in the hope of meeting a few other former champions - I missed out on Hinault last year on the Tour de Connemara (is he making an appearance at this years event ?). Has anybody experience of the pre race presentation before an event such as the Giro. What are the chances of meeting former champions - do the teams have exhibition stands etc ? If anyone has any help for me on this one I'd be very greatful.

Thanks

Piece on RTE Morning Ireland at about 7.40 this morning, focussed on Dundalk and Cuchulainn CC. Featured Karl Dolan, Pat O'Shaughnessy and Eve McCrystal. Glad to see a bit of publicity and ambition at last - said they're preparing facilities in Dundalk so that all the campervans can stock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    Piece on RTE Morning Ireland at about 7.40 this morning, focussed on Dundalk and Cuchulainn CC. Featured Karl Dolan, Pat O'Shaughnessy and Eve McCrystal. Glad to see a bit of publicity and ambition at last - said they're preparing facilities in Dundalk so that all the campervans can stock up.
    Did I hear them mention something about large screens being erected so that those in motorhomes could base themselves in Dundalk and follow it? (I was half asleep with the radio on).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Hello

Do we know what route the stage will take in to Dublin? Exactly what streets will the peleton take to arrive at merrion square? The maps available are not very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This is my stab at the last 100km based on the bits I have read here and there.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4243133

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

buffalo wrote: »
    As above

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Nice day outside Mahaffys if that's the route, thanks

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is my stab at the last 100km based on the bits I have read here and there.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4243133

I like how they nip onto the cycle track at the Clontarf Road/Alfie Byrne Road junction. :) :pac:

• Advertisement

Did I hear them mention something about large screens being erected so that those in motorhomes could base themselves in Dundalk and follow it? (I was half asleep with the radio on).

Yep, they did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement