Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-plagiarism question

Options
  • 07-01-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm actually not a postgrad student, but currently writing an undergrad dissertation in the UK. I thought I'd get some good answers here.

My question is about self-plagiarism. Basically, since my research proposal was handed in last April/May, my thesis has changed and I've gone in a slightly different direction. However, I'm still building upon part of it for my case study. I've been told I will have to re-write my research proposal to reflect the changes made and the new direction it's taking. I don't have to hand in the rewritten research proposal until I hand my dissertation in in April.

I'm handing in a draft chapter (not being marked) next week, and I've included sentences and paragraphs from my research proposal in this chapter as I will not be including that in my rewritten research proposal. My draft chapter is basically historical background to my topic and the subjects of my case study. Since my original research proposal was probably put through turn-it-in last May, would I run into problems of re-using my previous work?

It's not like I wrote it for a different module, but the work has already been marked as part of the research design module I did last year.
    Is it likely that this would be flagged as self-plagiarism?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Donegaljack

Butterface wrote: »
    the work has already been marked as part of the research design module I did last year.

You have answered your own question. Copying any work even your own unless referenced is plagiarism.

You may reference yourself but it is not usually done at undergrad level, as it may weaken your argument/stance.

Possibly, you could try redrafting your earlier work, Turnitin will recognise all previous submissions. Worse still it will tell your assessor where you got the information from in lovely bright highlighted colours!

My advise ... don't plagiarise.

Good luck with your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Thanks for the reply. It's mainly Turnitin flagging it up that I was worried about since it is previously marked work.

I've been told many people use parts of their research proposal as their introduction to their dissertation. Surely if Turnitin flags something in the final dissertation up as plagiarism, it will show that it came from a previous piece of work that has to do with the dissertation topic. My literature review was marked last year, but I will be including part of it in my final disseration too.

I decided to email my Supervisor and also another tutor who gives plagiarism seminars in my department. They both seem to think it would be okay if I am only using small amount of it. However, I really want to meet my Supervisor soon and explain it in person so that down the line there are no further problems. The thought of redrafting it is a bit disheartening, I was really happy with my original prose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Donegaljack

No worries ... of course consult your supervisor in the first instance and adhere to the college/programme/module guidelines.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Surely if you reference yourself there is no issue

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement