Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start...

• 07-01-2014 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to try and achieve a degree in Graphic Design(very late in the day). Basically, I'm 23, dropped out of a degree in Computer Science when I realised it wasnt for me, and put any other prospective degrees on the backburner for, oh, three years or so. :o

Now that Ive finally copped on, somewhat, I want to pursue a career in Visual Comms. or Graphic Design. The problem is, I have no idea where to start. Like, literally zero. I was passionate about art, drawing and design in general in my younger years, but that faded over time, and I neglected to build on that interest when I finished school.

As a result, I have no portfolio to speak of and little clue where to begin when selecting a course suitable for me.

All I want to know is, how difficult would it be for me to start a course this late in the game? Where could I look at? And what are the requirements, generally speaking?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭fluke

Try a taster course first to see if is for you I'd recommend, whether that's a week long thing or over a period of time. Also, do you draw much or use and of the typical design software?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

fluke wrote: »
    Try a taster course first to see if is for you I'd recommend, whether that's a week long thing or over a period of time. Also, do you draw much or use and of the typical design software?
    I had a brief encounter with CAD in technical drawing in school, and another 3D modelling program whose name escapes me. That's about the height of it.

As far as drawing goes, I don't draw nearly as much as I used to but I'm still quite capable.

balfe1990 wrote: »
    I had a brief encounter with CAD in technical drawing in school, and another 3D modelling program whose name escapes me. That's about the height of it.

As far as drawing goes, I don't draw nearly as much as I used to but I'm still quite capable.

Funny...I worked on Cad before I got into graphic design. While the link between cad and design is sorta tenuous I will say the Autocad experience eased me into Illustrator. Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop are the main software programs when it comes to design.

If I were you I would start contacting colleges now or anywhere as I said that does a short course in design (prob plenty of places in Dublin if you're near there). I say short course just so at least you dip your toe in and find out if design is for you. This time of year (due to the break and new year) people start the year with an agenda...I was in the exact same position and got into design about two years ago through a short course and haven't looked back since. I'm based in London so I don't know what the education options are in Ireland.

Also now would be a good time to get back drawing. Draw anything, feck... if you've got the skills draw everything, and if you get the imagination going just go mad. Don't worry about the software just yet. Most teachers, tutors or lecturers will want to see how your brain works so by all means be super creative. The software can come a bit later.

Also, a degree in design is not exactly a necessity. Through some places look for them but you live or die as a designer by how good your portfolio is and how adaptable you are to a client/ brief. By all means get into an educational field that will help hone your design skills/ personality but as I said a degree in graphic design is not a must have.

Wow, thanks a lot, that really helps.
    Cheers taking the time to answer that. I was fixed on just starting a degree in September but my girlfriend now has me convinced that I can just do a part time kinda deal and continue you to work. Maybe even get some experience in a graphic design shop, if they were to have a lowly peasant like myself.

Do you enjoy your work, is it fulfilling? And can I ask, why did you move to London? Was it because there was a dearth of opportunities here or just more work abroad?
    Thanks again!

Yeah I would say go down the part time work if you are happy to work and if you can time to do design stuff. Maybe an online course could be a good start but you would prob need the relevant software.

I'm still doing a course but have got a few design jobs on the go as well as college projects.

It is fulfilling. Without sounding deep or anything graphic design came to me a couple of years ago and its very much part of who I am now. I moved to London to get work, finding design was never the intention, but a happy accident.

• Advertisement

Well that's definitely reassuring.

Am 90% sure that's what Ill go for now. Thanks for the advice, youre an absolute gent fluke!

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Well that's definitely reassuring.

Am 90% sure that's what Ill go for now. Thanks for the advice, youre an absolute gent fluke!

No prob. Once you have yourself a bit settled (and have a rhythm going) get yourself online with twitter, a blog and last but not least an online portfolio.

Advertisement