Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Vaccination?

• 07-01-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Was looking for some advise please.

I have two new puppies that were born in early October.
    The breeder got them vaccinated with 7 in 1 and advised me that they would need to be fully vaccinated at 12 weeks.
    I rang a veterinary clinic in Swords today & they said that both dogs will need two vaccines each, one now & another one two weeks later.
    I was under the understanding that they would only need one.
    Each vaccine costs €45 so I'd be looking at €180 for both puppies.
    Just wondering if this is normal procedure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If they were vaccinated at 6 weeks, then most vets bring them back at 10 weeks for 2 more vaccines. Some vets differ with prices so might be worthwhile to ring around.
    Brian Jones who works down near the Dogs trust is very reasonable when it comes to vaccines so you could try him. Hes there on a saturday morning and tuesday morning. Hes based in Newry too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Do you have proof of the first set of vaccines? If the breeder had the 7 in 1 done then you should have gotten a vaccination card with the pups which also would have stated the date on which to get the next one done.

If you don't then most vets will insist on restarting the vaccinations which may be why they are telling you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Pups need the 7 in 1 from 8 weeks onwards 2 shots 2 weeks apart and then an annual booster every year there after. If the 2 week gap is overshot they need to be restarted. You need to find out from the breeder when exactly they got the first 7 in 1, if it's more than 2 weeks ago I'm afraid you'l have to start from scratch.

You also need to ask the breeder for a vaccination cert. This is a record of all the pups vaccinations that you hold on to for the rest of his life. If the breeder doesn't have one of these then he probably obtained the vaccines from somewhere and vaccinated the pups himself. If so I would consider the pup unvaccinated and start again, if the vaccine isin't stored or administered correctly it can be considered null and void and you'd be better off injecting water. With parvovirus (one of the things you vaccinate against) such a serious life threatening disease if caught I wouldn't take the chance and risk going unvaccinated. It really is an awful awful thing to watch a pup go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Thanks for the replies.

The breeder gave me a vaccination card for each puppy with two stickers on them, nobivac dhppi & nobivac lepto 2.
    Unfortunately the date of the vaccines are the 3rd of December.
    I was fairly sure she said they wouldn't need their next one for a month.

So I suppose I'll have to start from scratch then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Do your research on vaccines. There's a lot of talk on over vaccinating and they've changed how often you should vaccinate. i wish i had done my research when i got nala first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

nala2012 wrote: »
    Do your research on vaccines. There's a lot of talk on over vaccinating and they've changed how often you should vaccinate. i wish i had done my research when i got nala first.

Some vets will give the 7 in 1 booster every 3 years and a lepto booster every 12 to 14 months but pups still need the standard two shots two weeks apart for cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

NB - If you have insurance you need vaccinations so be careful. With 2 pups from possibly questionable backgrounds OP I'd advise you to get insurance.

OP was it Lisenhall vets? The reason I ask is that the brand they use has a longer time between vaccinations. My pup was vaccinated there at 8 weeks and next vaccination was due 4 weeks later. My vets didn't stock that brand and only leave 2 weeks between vaccinations so started them again so we could get her out sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

tk123 wrote: »

OP was it Lisenhall vets? The reason I ask is that the brand they use has a longer time between vaccinations. My pup was vaccinated there at 8 weeks and next vaccination was due 4 weeks later. My vets didn't stock that brand and only leave 2 weeks between vaccinations so started them again so we could get her out sooner.

Yes it was Lisenhall vets but they said the 2nd vaccination would be due 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would be of the same opinion, but I think the requirement for an initial set of puppy or kitten vaccinations still stands.

Advertisement