Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map of cycle friendly cafes

Options
  • 07-01-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

I recently moved from Rathfarnham to Dunboyne and so my regular spins are going to be different from now on. Clearly the most important feature of a spin is the coffee stop so I've started a map (all I've included so far is the hippy cafe and a place in Straffan) that hopefully will get populated by everybody else and will make it easy to see where is a good place to pull in during a spin.

Here's the link - and everyone should be able to edit it

If people could put in a brief description and then a list of the facilities (tap for filling bidons/track pump etc..) it might turn out to be a good resource, especially when you find yourself a little far from your normal routes.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Great idea.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Great idea. I've added a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Likewise - a few added.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

If ever there was a thread that needed to be made into a sticky!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Does anyone have a list of the places cycle superstore handed out track pumps to? That would seem to be a concrete indicator of a place being cyclist friendly.

(BTW - moved Tullynully castle marker back to Westmeath from northern Spain!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bloomfield

Great map, but does anyone know of cycle-friendly cafes in Dublin city centre? I had a thought to try and map them, but couldn't think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Rothar on Fade street jumps out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

3fe in the twisted pepper has occasionally been known to let lads bring their bikes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Q-Bar on the corner of Burgh Quay and D'Olier street serve coffee out a hatch. So you never have to leave your bike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Where's that joint you were telling me about Pete? In town that you said was nice to pop into after a spin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Where's that joint you were telling me about Pete? In town that you said was nice to pop into after a spin?

Rothar I think. I like the coffee (but I'm no connoisseur).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

If you're passing Glasnevin on a Saturday spin, there's a great market on at the back of the Aldi/Lidl - http://www.honest2goodness.ie/the-market.aspx

Bike rack out front, right beside the freshly baked bad stuff. There's a cafe to the left of the entrance when you go inside with decent coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Just added Seasons in Skerries to the map where the Balrothery/Skerries bicycle club have been known to frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've added one of my favs, Il Panorama in Howth. It's been a while since I've had one, but man, oh man, I love their paninis.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

Just added Slieve Bloom Bar in Kinnity - handy for a rest after the Wolftrap - always bikes stopping there - seating outside (when weather's good) and always happy to fill a Bidon or 2 :-)

forgot to add - make a great Ham and Cheese and good coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭golfhead

Mods

Can we start a similiar thread with map for local bike shops? Have often been out for a spin and wondered whether the towns I pass through have a bike shop in case I needed it?

If possible, could you provide the name of the shop, phone number and opening times if possible?

Peterx wrote: »
    3fe in the twisted pepper has occasionally been known to let lads bring their bikes in.

Love their coffee, but I'm guessing it has a 'fixies only' policy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The Twisted Pepper building's cafe is called Vice now, and I'm not as sure about bringing my bike in since they've done it up. Unfortunately it's not the best of streets for locking your bike up outside.

3FE have another cafe over on Lower Grand Canal street though. There's usually a few spots nearby to lock up to and outdoor seating.

And their toasted banana bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

golfhead wrote: »
    Can we start a similiar thread with map for local bike shops?

If mcgratheoin added another layer for the bike shops it would keep it all in the one map, although separately viewable if needs be.
    golfhead wrote: »
    If possible, could you provide the name of the shop, phone number and opening times if possible?
    Opening times would be a disaster to maintain. Location & website or phone number might be doable.

If mcgratheoin added another layer for the bike shops it would keep it all in the one map, although separately viewable if needs be.

Done - I've started it off with Joe Daly's in Dundrum - any shops affiliated with clubs should also be noted (e.g. Lucan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭golfhead

Mcgratheoin

Thanks for doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't want to come across as a spoilsport but one of those places mentioned may be "cycle friendly" but I never find it "customer friendly". I visit it occasionally, only because of necessity, but I always come away with the impression that I've been a nusiance to the staff - a big deal to serve a coffee and a slice of cake. And it's expensive too at €6 when the same can be had in Dublin city centre for €3.75. :(

As an aside lads, if anyone is in the city centre and in lycra and SPD SL's, and needing a quick perk up, there's a little coffee shop at the entrance of Drury Street Car Park/Cycle Park. I can't recall it's name now.

Another city option is the kiosk in Dublin 4 at Lansdowne Road - handy for a refuel when inappropriately dressed for sitting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Raam wrote: »
    I've added one of my favs, Il Panorama in Howth. It's been a while since I've had one, but man, oh man, I love their paninis.

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭squeaky crank

bloomfield wrote: »
    Great map, but does anyone know of cycle-friendly cafes in Dublin city centre? I had a thought to try and map them, but couldn't think of any.

Saw this in Ranelagh - New Coffee Shop - beside beechwood Luas Stop
    They have a track pump and bike lock - free coffee this weekend for roadies!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MIMA-Coffee-Company/358456727625172?ref=stream

Whoever added in the New Barn Farm just outside Ashbourne deserves a pat on the back - stopped there on Saturday with a group of mates and it was fantastic. Great food, great facilities and very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevclarkey

Moved Season's cafe in Skerries to its rightful place. Great cafe - go round the back (lane down the side) to bring your bike into the outdoor area.
    Also added Avoca cafe in Ashford (Mount Usher), and the Avoca cafe in, eh, Avoca. Both of these have outdoor seating.

Was in Slane Bake today (obviously enough it's in Slane).......

For anyone who prefers an early start they are open from 8am Saturday & Sunday morning (as well as during the week - don't open Mondays)

Gorgeous cake and coffee and a small seating area.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Does anyone know if there's a map of the functional water pumps on country roads? They're very handy for refilling a bottle. The ones I'm thinking of have been modernized with a push-button but they still look like the originals.

The only ones I can think of are in Dun-Laoghaire Rathdown, so maybe not all county councils have them. For example, there's one at the bottom of Kilmashogue Lane and one opposite the overflow car-park at Johnny Fox's.

Bit like this:
    2392754_43518f17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cafes up here are called garages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cafes up here are called garages

What do yis call a garage? Patisserie?

Advertisement