Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map of cycle friendly cafes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    What do yis call a garage? Patisserie?

A fillin staysun.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I cycled from Finglas to Ashbourne today, bang on 30km return. Had lunch in a nice little cafe just off the Main Street there http://www.corks.ie Had the homemade seafood chowder which was delicious. Prices on their menu are good value, the coffee wasn't the best I've ever had but still good.

The route I took was along the old N2, which is now knows as the R135. As it's a former national primary route there is a wide hard shoulder to cycle in most of the time. It could do with a sweep here and there but in general the surface isn't too bad. There's a few rolling hills on the route but nothing so steep that you have to get out of the saddle if you don't want to.

I might make it a regular weekend cycle, it's a nice route with a good cafe to have a break before coming back, the cafe had free newspapers too which was a bonus:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Added the Olive cafe in Skerries and the home made scone place in Laragh, no name but much friendlier than the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

bbolger wrote: »
    Added the Olive cafe in Skerries and the home made scone place in Laragh, no name but much friendlier than the other one.

As a matter of interest, what issues have you had with the other one in laragh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Does anyone know if there's a map of the functional water pumps on country roads? They're very handy for refilling a bottle. The ones I'm thinking of have been modernized with a push-button but they still look like the originals.

I came across one of these on the R422 west of Mountmellick. It had a 'not fit for human consumption' sign on it though.

I also came across a tap on the side of the R132 somewhere north of Castlebellingham (Louth) with a 'free spring water' sign on it. Can't find the exact location so didn't add to map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

J Madone wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what issues have you had with the other one in laragh?

They refused to sell us a coffee, even though we wanted take away & the place was empty, as they were closing soon, weren't too nice about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

bbolger wrote: »
    They refused to sell us a coffee, even though we wanted take away & the place was empty, as they were closing soon, weren't too nice about it either.

if im thinking about the same place ive got a frosty reception there too from time to time. depends who'se working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

if im thinking about the same place ive got a frosty reception there too from time to time. depends who'se working

Sadly, despite the fact that this cafe gets a lot of its income from cyclists and walkers, there is never a smile to be had in the place (this comment, like the following, reflects my own personal experience and opinion only). The coffee is adequate, the salads are good, the soup is quite ok, the sandwiches not bad at all, the cake often lovely. The inside is cramped but cozy on a wet or cold day, the seats outside not bad. But a smile and a bit of friendliness would do no harm whatsoever, and it's sorely lacking. A little training trip down to (say) the Stonecutter in Aughrim would do no harm.

It might just be a 'too many tourists' Laragh thing -the folks in the shop+petrol station are none too chirpy either.

Anyone been in the coffee shop in Lynam's car park?
    The Wicklow Heather also does coffee, but TBH it's more of a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Great map, well done Eoin.

Suggestion - put the town name in the title, else the list on the left is somewhat uninformative?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tried Ruby's cafe on Balyboughal main street today.
    Very pleasant, nice menu, great coffee and scones and fast service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

There's a large new Applegreen after opening just off the N11 north of Ashford. Mass chain place obviously with a Costa inside so that's the sort of quality of coffee you're getting (which is ok, but only that IMO) but they're set up nicely for cyclists. The racks are around to the side, there's seating immediately inside looking out a large window at the racks, and there's a drinking water tap outside adjacent to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

I recently moved from Rathfarnham to Dunboyne and so my regular spins are going to be different from now on. Clearly the most important feature of a spin is the coffee stop so I've started a map (all I've included so far is the hippy cafe and a place in Straffan) that hopefully will get populated by everybody else and will make it easy to see where is a good place to pull in during a spin.

Here's the link - and everyone should be able to edit it

If people could put in a brief description and then a list of the facilities (tap for filling bidons/track pump etc..) it might turn out to be a good resource, especially when you find yourself a little far from your normal routes.

(I know this is a very old thread!) The link doesn't work for me. On the off chance that the OP is still around on boards, is there any chance it could be revived? Or will a new map be in order?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Dedicated web site: http://www.cafenetwork.info/

Advertisement