Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland v Manchester United | Capital One Cup | 19:45 | Sky Sports 1

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well I enjoyed that, except for the part where I nearly got hit by a flare, where they showed it on the tv was not where it landed!

Ki was the best player on the pitch once again, the luck went with Sunderland for the first time in a long time.

Roll on Old Trafford.

v3ttel wrote: »
    No. No he didn't.

Video here: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9106046/capital-one-cup-manchester-united-boss-david-moyes-slams-referee-after-sunderland-defeat

He said "I mean, our crowd were unbelievable tonight.The crowd were fantastic. The support they gave the team and me especially, was terrific"

Also said "the players did well enough to get a result" a few seconds after that.

What do you expect the manager to say in any case? "We were shocking. I desperately need to sign 4 world class players"

Have to say the United fans were immense. They sang their hearts out, and supported Moyes big time.

Shocking the amount of seats Sunderland couldn't sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Good penalty

07-01-2014-GifNumber-43.gif

The Sunderland player was a good 4 or 5 yards in the box when it was taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Have to say the United fans were immense. They sang their hearts out, and supported Moyes big time.

Shocking the amount of seats Sunderland couldn't sell.

I agree it looks really bad on tv for a cup semi final. There were even less against Chelsea. Serbs they only sell out or get close when Newcastle are in town.
    Think part of the problem is the stadium is far too big. A 49,000 sweater stadium is way too big for a town with Sunderlands population size and the fact they are a lower half team, it is very difficult to fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Ki was the best player on the pitch once again, the luck went with Sunderland for the first time in a long time.

Roll on Old Trafford.

SUNDERLAND-V-MANCHESTER-U-011.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

K4t wrote: »
    .....and an 18m signing sitting on the bench who was and still is touted by many as one of the top attacking midfielders in europe.

Either conversion rate you are using has this wrong you know, he was 12 million pounds, which worked out to 16million euro

Just to pick up on your point that Valencia didnt cost 18 million, you are right, was about 18.9 million euro (or 16.5million pounds) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

v3ttel wrote: »
    No. No he didn't.

Video here: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9106046/capital-one-cup-manchester-united-boss-david-moyes-slams-referee-after-sunderland-defeat

He said "I mean, our crowd were unbelievable tonight.The crowd were fantastic. The support they gave the team and me especially, was terrific"

Also said "the players did well enough to get a result" a few seconds after that.

What do you expect the manager to say in any case? "We were shocking. I desperately need to sign 4 world class players"

Thats not what was on the bbc website last night but whatever.

and yes, it would be refreshing if he came out and said the players werent good enough, need to do better

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I agree it looks really bad on tv for a cup semi final. There were even less against Chelsea. Serbs they only sell out or get close when Newcastle are in town.
    Think part of the problem is the stadium is far too big. A 49,000 sweater stadium is way too big for a town with Sunderlands population size and the fact they are a lower half team, it is very difficult to fill.

The derby wasn't even a sell out this season which says a lot.

The Chelsea cup game cost me a tenner to get in, last night was 20.

I don't know if it being so close to Christmas, and with the Villa game, the Carlisle game and last night being so close made it a money issue for some, added to the fact it was on the tv and the recent weather.

Not trying to make excuses, Either ways i am not a Sunderland fan, but I have a season ticket and even I was disappointed with the turn out last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

On the game - delighted to come away with the win. There weren't many clear cut chances and a draw probably would have been a fair result. I think the penalty was outside the box too from what I have seen. I don't understand Moyes' comments on the referee at all though, he wasn't going to give the penalty until the linesman flagged, Rafael should have walked and a large number of 50/50 challenges went the way of Manchester United. I'd imagine he doesn't really believe much of what he said anyway and is using it as a diversion tactic.

Regarding the comments on the crowd, I think the fact that 31,000 is seen as a poor crowd is testament to just how good our support is.

Our average home attendance this season ranks only below that of Manchester United/City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle, all clubs who (with the exception of Newcastle, tut they have challenged for titles in the past and played European football only two seasons ago) have enjoyed a long period of success or who have become successful recently, while the most we have had to shout about since 1973 is a 10th place Premier League finish a few years ago.

There were three home games on in the space of 5 days and in an area with the highest unemployment rate in the UK, people can't afford to go to all of them and many will have had to choose between that and the league game of which a lot will have season tickets meaning the league game will win over.

It's also worth noting that the television cameras face an area of the ground that is always lesser filled and the stand where the television cameras set up is generally always pretty full, as it was again last night. It does look terrible and the club have enquried before about changing the cameras to the opposite stand, but it's not possible due to the direction the sun when it shines which would result in it being a nightmare for viewers at home.

Those that were there were excellent though and so were the Manchester United fans minus the imbecile that threw the flare and the other few who broke seats and fixtures around the concourse.

Overall, it's game on for the second leg!

• Advertisement
Advertisement