Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch Carrier line to dedicated

Options
  • 07-01-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi ,

Ive been regulary contacting Eircom to upgrade my parents landline from a carrier line to a dedicated line so they can avail of DSL broadband service.
    Every time ive contacted eircom over the past 6yrs ive been told that their phone exchange is being upgraded and dedicated lines will become available "so just keep checking in every couple of months". This has been a complete waste of time with no fortunate outcome.

My parents whom are both in their 70's live in a rural blackspot where mobile phone coverage is terrible and using a mobile  broadband dongle is hit & miss with sub 0.5meg speeds. Ive tried at least 3 different service providers dongles to no avail. Their  only daughter now lives in Australia and a decent broaddband service would mean they could keep in contact through skype. With the government now removing their old age phone subsidy they will be faced with a bill of €40 per month for phone services only, compare this many BB providers packages of line rental + calls +up to 10meg BB for €45 it seems a bit unfair.

Ive suggested paying for a new phone line to be installed but have been told by eircom that they cannot guarantee that a new dedicated line would be installed and therfore cannot guarantee a DSL BB service.

What are their options to getting there phone line upgraded to a dedicated line. I was tol the exchange in the village was upgraded recently so spare dediated lines should be available. 
    Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Phantom309 wrote: »
    Hi ,

Ive been regulary contacting Eircom to upgrade my parents landline from a carrier line to a dedicated line so they can avail of DSL broadband service.
    Every time ive contacted eircom over the past 6yrs ive been told that their phone exchange is being upgraded and dedicated lines will become available "so just keep checking in every couple of months". This has been a complete waste of time with no fortunate outcome.

My parents whom are both in their 70's live in a rural blackspot where mobile phone coverage is terrible and using a mobile  broadband dongle is hit & miss with sub 0.5meg speeds. Ive tried at least 3 different service providers dongles to no avail. Their  only daughter now lives in Australia and a decent broaddband service would mean they could keep in contact through skype. With the government now removing their old age phone subsidy they will be faced with a bill of €40 per month for phone services only, compare this many BB providers packages of line rental + calls +up to 10meg BB for €45 it seems a bit unfair.

Ive suggested paying for a new phone line to be installed but have been told by eircom that they cannot guarantee that a new dedicated line would be installed and therfore cannot guarantee a DSL BB service.

What are their options to getting there phone line upgraded to a dedicated line. I was tol the exchange in the village was upgraded recently so spare dediated lines should be available. 
    Regards
    Hi Phantom309
    I cannot promise that we can arrange this, but if you PM me their line and account number I can contact appropriate section for you and get some clarity here.
    Tony

Advertisement