Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life insurance policies for Irish expats

Options
  • 07-01-2014 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to take out a 25-year life insurance and serious illness policy. I tried FBD, who provided some good quotes, but they found that because I currently reside in Dubai, I cannot take out a policy, even though I maintain Irish bank accounts and will some day move back to Ireland.

Can anyone recommend some insurance providers for an expat like me?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Russian Spy

I have exactly the same problem, the insurance firms are referencing a directive from the central bank to eliminate money laundering. I would also appreciate any information people may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

is there a reason you cant take a policy out where you reside ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They are no licenced to sell policies outside the jurisdiction, so if you are not resident they can not do business with you. It is the same with many financial products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

D3PO wrote: »
    is there a reason you cant take a policy out where you reside ?

I can do so, and just did. But the terms are pretty crumby when compared with those offered by Irish insurers:
    • Critical Illness premium subject to regular review
    • Not indexed to inflation
    • No payout on second death
    • No option to renew after the term without medical test.

In the end I went with Friends Provident, applying as a UAE-based expat. By far the best of a bunch of not-so-great offers.

Advertisement