Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spices out side of city center (Dublin)

Options
  • 07-01-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

I used to get all my spices from Dublin city center Asian shops.

Now I live outside of the city center (dun laoghaire) and it's too much of a hassle to get into town to top up my stock.

anyone know any quality non city center spice vendors/asian shops similar to those around jervis/moore street and drury lane.
    located near dundrum, dun laoghaire, N11 corridor

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You're much more likely to get helpful replies here in the Dublin County South forum.

Moved from Cooking & Recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

is online any good to you? if it is - this old thread might help ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68444704

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's a good Asian shop in dun laoighre. It's down past the jewel in the crown towards the people's park. Not as good as the Asian market but still good

There's another one in the blackrock market

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

The shop in the Mosque in Clonskeagh has a reasonably good selection of spices at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Tesco do stock a good range of spices. I live in Dun Laoghaire too, but I generally buy my spices in the Asia Supermarket on Drury St. I've never found any of the supplies I use in that little Asian market near People's Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Tesco do stock a good range of spices. I live in Dun Laoghaire too, but I generally buy my spices in the Asia Supermarket on Drury St. I've never found any of the supplies I use in that little Asian market near People's Park.

not keen on the tesco spices, they've a decent range of the basics, but its expensive in the amounts id like.

ill check out the shop by peoples park, if not then ill suffer through the city center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Try the Indian food Shop in blackrock market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Get Fresh in Deansgrange has a good range of spices. Much cheaper than the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Get Fresh in Deansgrange has a good range of spices. Much cheaper than the supermarket.

Are they an offshoot of Get Fresh in Ballyroan, Rathfarnham by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Are they an offshoot of Get Fresh in Ballyroan, Rathfarnham by any chance?

Think all the Get Fresh chain may be connected but not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Think all the Get Fresh chain may be connected but not sure.

They are a Franchise.

I'd agree with shop in Blackrock market, excellent selection

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Bray has a few very good ones! Like Tony's on the main street, dont know if thats too far though.

ended up in town on an unplanned day off so took the chance to head to drury street. Ended up buying €100 worth of assorted spices, had to restock almost everything, probably bought a few things i dont really need but the price is worth it.

Sat working out how much it would cost me in tesco, needless to say the saving is huge.

ie:
    400g bag of cumin = €3,
    vs
    tesco up to €1.89 for a 28g jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ended up in town on an unplanned day off so took the chance to head to drury street. Ended up buying €100 worth of assorted spices, had to restock almost everything, probably bought a few things i dont really need but the price is worth it.

Sat working out how much it would cost me in tesco, needless to say the saving is huge.

ie:
    400g bag of cumin = €3,
    vs
    tesco up to €1.89 for a 28g jar.

Huge price difference. What is the shelf-life like - perhaps for some people not using spices in large quantities they are better off buying smaller amounts even if it is dearer per g?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Pinoy Sari Sari is an Asian food store in Dun Laoghaire near to People's Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Huge price difference. What is the shelf-life like - perhaps for some people not using spices in large quantities they are better off buying smaller amounts even if it is dearer per g?
    Spices don't have use by date. you are paying solely for packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ted1 wrote: »
    Spices don't have use by date. you are paying solely for packaging

Cheers - I just thought that they are better fresh rather than if left for too long. Maybe that's just herbs? I find you need to use them up quickly or they lose their punch!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Ground spices definitely lose flavour if stored. Whole spice last for much longer and are usually cheaper. Buy a cheap coffee grinder and grind whole spices as you need them would be my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

They do lose essence if kept for long, so it's better to grind them as stated above. I'm lazy so I buy ground spices and keep them in jars so that the contact with air is minimised, they are alrightish even after a while then.

keep them air tight and they will last for a while, youd really have to throw away a lot before you got to the level of losing money tho.

even then they dont lose that much, they arent as strong and aromatic after a while but still use able.

• Advertisement
Advertisement