Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp and speakers to run 2.1 audio from Flatscreen TV

Options
  • 07-01-2014 5:38pm

Hello. I'm new to this forum, it looks like a good place to ask a couple of novice questions. I've had a search here first and cant find the info i need. Apologies for any newbie mistakes, i'm pretty technical usually but have no experience with wiring audio, speakers, amps, etc.

I'm looking to wire 2x8 ohm unpowered hi-fi satellite speakers into my TV, essentially to relocate it's fairly bog standard onboard 2.1 sound output from one side of an average sized room (where the TV is) to the other side (where the couch is).

The reason for this is that my 2 year old daughter's room is the other side of the wall the TV is on, and it's waking her up at night when she's in bed, and moving the TV/living room around isn't an option. I've looked at wireless audio, speaker bars, 5.1 setups, etc, and surround sound setups are all overkill for what i need and well outside the budget i want to spend, so i was looking for some advice on a small, cheap setup to do what i need.

As mentioned, i've got 2 unpowered 8 ohm speakers (the rear left and right satellites from a sony hi-fi 5.1 setup) which i know have good enough sound quality and range for what i need, with standard red and black screw in terminals for + and - bare speaker wires on each

I'm also looking at this or similar for an amp: (now out of stock, but suggestions for alternatives in this price bracket would be appreciated)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TA2020-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier-Supply/dp/B007VMA6OU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=6VJB7ZE9Y0B6&coliid=I30KKGU8CL9X8E

There are various sky boxes, DVD players, Media servers etc connected to the TV, hence i plan to use the TV's master out to give me a signal for whatever source is active at the time. The TV has an RCA phono L&R master output on the back of it that i was planning to use to run signal into the back of the amp. Surround sound is not an issue, nor something i want to set up. More volume/bass is not what we want, and 2.1 is fine for now.

My questions are as follows:

1. It all looks simple enough, but is the amp suitable for the speakers, or is there a better option for the same or less money?
    2. Am i going to blow something up wiring things up in the manner i've described, and if so what do i need to buy instead?
    3. Are there any good walk in stores in Dublin that offer advice and don't charge paddy tax for stuff like this that's half the price online?
    4. What speaker wire do i need? I'll be running the signal about 6-7 meters around the perimeter of the room through trunking i have installed already with the speakers either wall or ceiling mounted at the opposite side of the room.
    5. Is there anything else i need to watch out for?
    Thanks in advance for any pointers, and apologies again for the basic level of my questions :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

That looks like an amazing little amp. It certainly looks good enough for moderate volume listening. There's a newer model from the same manufacturer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEPAI-LP2020A-mini-Digital-T-Amp/dp/B008S464VE/ref=pd_cp_ce_3

It says it doesn't come with a PSU, although in the comments one person says he received one with the amp (despite not expecting one).

Any kind of ordinary speaker wire will do, you won't need connectors since the amp just clips on to the bare wire at the end.

Luck100 wrote: »
    That looks like an amazing little amp. It certainly looks good enough for moderate volume listening. There's a newer model from the same manufacturer...

Thanks. I've spotted this one, which seems to be around the same price, with a plug included, same 2x20watt output, which is fine, and has multiple source inputs which would be handy. Seems to be getting good reviews, and i think it's dispatched from the UK whereas the other one comes from Hong Kong, which means +3 weeks wait and possible duty payable on top of the price.

I may give this alternative a go, see how i get on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koolertron-Compact-Amplifier-Control-Motorcycle/dp/B00EEW5XAM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#productDetails
    Luck100 wrote: »
    ...Any kind of ordinary speaker wire will do, you won't need connectors since the amp just clips on to the bare wire at the end.

Cheers. Can you recommend any place to buy speaker wire cheap in dublin, or should i just get it online? Maplins and the like all seem to be charging an arm and a leg for 10-15 metres of it. Does anyone know if it's stocked in places like B&Q or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I've never bought speaker wire in Ireland (moved here from US a few years back). If you're ordering the amp from Amazon it's probably best to order the wire there too. Generally you can get free shipping with order over 25 euros total, so makes sense to get it delivered with the amp.

Advertisement