Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm only about 2 hours into this and I've just had my first encounter with the Alien and I think it's actually the scariest game I've ever played.

I hid in the locker for about 2 minutes before I felt brave enough to step out, crouch walked my way back to where I was supposed to be going and just as I was about to complete the objective, I see it scurrying around upstairs. I panic and hop into a vent.

A minute later, I look out and it's at the other end of the corridor with it's back turned. I duck back into the vent, peek out again and try to lean around the corner for a look but it sprints up the stairs and catches me. It was horrible.

I started it on hard for my first playthrough, was that wise? How difficult is it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

Just started playing this myself, Christ I don't think I'm able for these games anymore haha.

I bought this back around haloween,got to chapter 5 and quit. I like it a lot, I just need to work up the courage to finish it! Scariest/most intense game I've played in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Really enjoying this now at around 20 hours in. Took a while to grab me but I have that lovely " I want to get back to playing this now " feeling when I havent touched it for a couple of days! Really enjoying the pacing of it. Nice that they give you a break from being hunted by the Alien all the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Finished the game the other day and really enjoyed it. (Despite the Red Letter Media review)

Played the Crew Expendable add on today. What a total waste. Barely got 10 minutes out of it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Wow just watched that review. It's bloody awful, never watched red letter media for games, not gonna start now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Wow just watched that review. It's bloody awful, never watched red letter media for games, not gonna start now.

Yeah it actually felt like a movie review of a video game. Think I'll stick to just watching their movie reviews.

Well, I've found out the hard way that
    you can't stealth kill a Working Joe with a wrench....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll think I'll pick this up in the sales, only 29.99 in some places.
    I'll pick up a few pairs of underpants while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I finished this yesterday and I genuinely loved every second of it. It featured some of the most tense gameplay I've ever experienced but, importantly, it was great fun at the same time. Each time I turned it on if it was in the middle of a hunt section my hands would immediately get clammy and my heartrate would rise slightly, talk about engaging! The visuals and the sound design really added to it along with the brilliant soundtrack which really built tension at times. I know it's been said before, but WTF were IGN and the like thinking with their lukewarm reviews? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was a great game just with a terrible ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Got this game as a present over christmas. 360 version. Feel I should probably play it alone at night to give it justice since everyone says it's very atmospheric.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Really enjoyed it very intense game, hard difficulty was punishing but fair I thought once you figured out the rules of engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

A couple of hours into this and already sh**ting myself, I feel obliged to do an Alien movie marathon in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It was a great game just with a terrible ending.

Didn't think it was a terrible ending myself. Certainly wasn't a strong ending though.

Gandalph wrote: »
    A couple of hours into this and already sh**ting myself, I feel obliged to do an Alien movie marathon in the near future.

Actually when you watch the movies whilst playing the game the little details in the game really pop out. The level of detail these guys went to is really, really impressive.

Cravez wrote: »
    That's actually great to hear. Got this recently and games like Outlast and Amnesia is that I can only do them in short bursts and only when I am in the mood for my blood pressure to sky rocket. I'm excited to try Alien Isolation out now!

Yeah honestly I didn't find AI as scary as Outlast. It was certainly more intense though, if that makes sense? Like it mixes up the scary moments with the puzzles and the sneaking parts well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

.ak wrote: »
    Didn't think it was a terrible ending myself. Certainly wasn't a strong ending though.

The ending is really poor. They just had no idea how to end it. In fact that whole last chapter is annoying.

Love nearly everything else about the game though.

How else could they do it? Think they needed to keep the idea of her being alive, doesn't Ripley find out her daughter died at an old age in Aliens?

Ya that's fine but the first issue was
    they have an alien capture you, you somehow manage to break free from the nest. Both of those things were really annoying

And
    the game just ends with you floating in space. We already know Amanda survives due to what's said in the film so having an "ambiguous" ending just feels so wrong.

• Advertisement

Must have spent easily an hour and a half hiding in lockers /under desks in the medical ward last night trying to hide from ET. It was actually pretty frustrating after putting in all that effort to only go and have him see me under a table from a silly angle in another room, ridiculously unlucky! It's really hard when you don't know where you are suppose to be going, you're only given an area to explore to find a certain thing.

I'm playing it on hard and would like to know other peoples tactics. I was generally just pinned down hiding most the time in wait for the Alien to enter the ventilation system so I could get a free 15-30 seconds of exploring for my goal. But it took at least 15-20 min of hiding before it would piss off again for that few seconds window. I couldn't move when it was in the area because his patrol pattern was always too much in close proximity to me and it feels like I could never get a good enough angle in which to throw a noisemaker and even if I did I could only sneak a few more meters down the corridor before it was back.

Gandalph wrote: »
    Must have spent easily an hour and a half hiding in lockers /under desks in the medical ward last night trying to hide from ET. It was actually pretty frustrating after putting in all that effort to only go and have him see me under a table from a silly angle in another room, ridiculously unlucky! It's really hard when you don't know where you are suppose to be going, you're only given an area to explore to find a certain thing.

I'm playing it on hard and would like to know other peoples tactics. I was generally just pinned down hiding most the time in wait for the Alien to enter the ventilation system so I could get a free 15-30 seconds of exploring for my goal. But it took at least 15-20 min of hiding before it would piss off again for that few seconds window. I couldn't move when it was in the area because his patrol pattern was always too much in close proximity to me and it feels like I could never get a good enough angle in which to throw a noisemaker and even if I did I could only sneak a few more meters down the corridor before it was back.

In the same situation myself. In the medical area and I can't go anywhere without the bastard being on me in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Having not played the game, I take it you can't give him a few slaps?

Can someone explain the breathing mechanic to me? So ET comes up to a locker, sticks its face in the grate, I hold L2...then what? I seem to start dying and when ever I let go of L2 as it is leaving the locker area it just turns around and makes short work of me.

pull back on the control stick first, so your back is against the wall then hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Just completed this today. An amazing game. In all the years I've been playing games I've never played one with such a great atmosphere. This is genuinely a survival horror game in all senses.

newest dlc snuck out last week, with 2 new gamemodes, I have yet to play it because I'm waiting on a new soundcard which should arrive tomorrow

when it does I'll do another video. This one sounds very interesting

http://www.alienisolation.com/news/2015/01/13/a-third-add-on-pack-a-new-challenge-mode
    Our third add-on pack, ‘Safe Haven’, is here and it comes with a new Challenge Mode designed to test your survival mettle.

Salvage Mode will task you with surviving a series of ten challenges, without dying, as you attempt to complete objectives and make your escape.

You will be against the ticking clock as wave after wave of opponents stand between you and survival.

“Please understand, this is our best shot. Someone’s got to re-establish comms.”

- Hughes

‘Safe Haven’ will allow you to play as new character Hughes, Sevastopol’s Station's Communications Manager.

Trapped in a safe room and desperate to escape, Hughes’ only chance is to take on ten tasks given at the communications terminal in the lower decks of the station.

Every task is one step closer to escape but will require the utmost stealth and skill as Hughes confronts the station’s life-threatening challenges – a crumbling environment and the toughest foes - as he works to restore communications and get away.

In ‘Safe Haven’, be ready to experience a different side to Survivor Mode. With a far larger challenge map and only one life to survive with, each level will test your skills with new objectives, a different enemy type and the risk that one wrong move will be your last.

Completing each challenge will unlock rewards and points, with new items to collect and craft. Gather enough points and you’ll be able to trade them in for a chance to save and bank your progress.

Should you fail at any point, you’ll be taken back to your last saved challenge but it comes at the cost of your final score and the place on our leader boards.

Will you favour safety over the highest score? How will you survive? Get a taster of what's waiting for you in our trailer:

there's also now a random challenge gauntlet, where the game puts 4 random levels in a row for you to complete in one life.

Ok I couldnt resist I gave it a quick try.

For those who have been disregarding the alien isolation dlc because it's all survivor maps, this may be the one for you to pick up.

instead of 4 normal maps, this is 1 big map where you have to go back and forth from a save room to do missions and it gets increasingly hard. Also each mission gives different rewards

I'm curious to see if the missions are random, because then this gets my seal of approval as the best dlc so far.

I only had a brief play but if my soundcard shows up tomorrow or not I'll do a video (just expect my mic quality to be even worse then usual if no sound card)

I loaned the game to a friend. Once the dlc goes on a decent sale and I get back the game I'll probably pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just finished it and glad I stuck with it and battled on.

I still enjoyed it overall..
    The final part. I was waiting for the "open a door and find an Alien" ending, but expected the Queen. They do leave it open for part 2 as just before the black out you see a flash across her visor of another ship coming into orbit.

So Alien Isolation 2 starts with her waking up on another ship after being "saved" but the crew were sent from the company so of course they tried to recover the specimen and it all starts over again.

Advertisement