Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Completely agree with Blitzkreig. Played it myself and it was the game I most enjoyed there (after a 3 player round of Micromachines :) )

Going back again tomorrow and I'll probably try to play it on the Oculus to see what that's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

tok9 wrote: »
    Completely agree with Blitzkreig. Played it myself and it was the game I most enjoyed there (after a 3 player round of Micromachines :) )

Going back again tomorrow and I'll probably try to play it on the Oculus to see what that's like.

If they have BattleCry give that a go too. I was very pleasantly surprised by it at GamesCom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

IS THERE A NEW MICROMACHINES? MUST HAVE

IS THERE A NEW MICROMACHINES? MUST HAVE

No... it was on the Sega Megadrive in the Retro area :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

No... it was on the Sega Megadrive in the Retro area :P

Ahhhhhhh : (

Sad Panda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Any ideas when the first reviews should be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Any ideas when the first reviews should be out?
    According to The Metro at least, the embargo is up prior to launch so I imagine some day this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Seems this game has hit the net. So expect opinions shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jesus, there's a section where the motion scanner doesn't work? It's like Creative Assembly woke up one morning and decided "There just aren't enough trousers soaked in terror urine in the world today, how can we fix that?"

• Advertisement

Yup, embargo has definitely been lifted...

Eurogamer review is up now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

93 from PC gamer. Is it ok to start getting excited yet?

Found £29 worth of reward points on my old Game card so got it for £3.49.

http://www.pcgamer.com/alien-isolation-review/

"Alien: Isolation: The game the Alien series has always deserved. A deep, fun stealth game set in an evocatively realised sci-fi world."

Polygon seem to have given it the lowest score so far. Their comments on the save system are precisely why I'm looking forward to it though.
    This irritation is compounded by Isolation’s save system, which is relegated to emergency stations scattered around the ship. Like most things in the game, it takes multiple seconds to activate them, leaving you helpless and exposed. They’re incredibly risky to use when the alien is around (did I mention the alien is always around?). There is no checkpoint system.

Death scene spoiler: I imagine this is what can happen sometimes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CVG - This is THE only Alien game, best use of a license since Batman Arkham

IGN - 5.9 - This isn't a good game

And the best quote from the reviews so far comes from Kotaku.
    To say that Isolation is superior to Colonial Marines is really just to affirm that, no, it is not one of the worst games I've ever played. Good news, though! Even considered without the Alien brand, Isolation is a very good time. It's equal parts Worst-Case Situation Simulator 2014 and "**** Everything!": The Game. It does have some significant flaws, but on the whole, it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

16-19 hours to complete the story ? Sounds lengthy enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

calex71 wrote: »
    16-19 hours to complete the story ? Sounds lengthy enough.

And they plan on doing additional content by the looks of it?

The game looks very promising. It will be refreshing to play an Alien game that predominately relies on stealth tactics rather than just the combat element.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

sheehy83 wrote: »
    CVG - This is THE only Alien game, best use of a license since Batman Arkham

IGN - 5.9 - This isn't a good game

IGN really are clueless. Worst gaming website out there.

As the old saying goes.

You can't spell ignorant without IGN

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Polygon also gave it a relatively low score of 6.5, Videogamer gave it 9.
    Gamespot 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    If I had other criticisms it would really be with the proposed financial model.

The survivor mode is shipping in the standard game as a *Demo*

it's only 1 level, the one we played at the show (called basement) and thats it.

There are a lot more coming but they are all DLC.

Ughhhh. Is this supposed to make me want the game? Because all it does is make me want to wait for the eventual "GOTY"/whatever edition that finally has all the restricted content unlocked in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Pretty odd, reviews are all over the place.

The main gripes the poor reviews seem to have is that they died a lot.

Oh noes, a difficult game that doesn't auto save every 30 seconds and doesn't hold your hand throughout.

I'll reserve judgement until I play the game but 5.9 seems to be a joke of a score. If the game was riddled with game breaking bugs and poor mechanics maybe but they showed nothing to justify such a low score.

Ughhhh. Is this supposed to make me want the game? Because all it does is make me want to wait for the eventual "GOTY"/whatever edition that finally has all the restricted content unlocked in one go.
    From the Kotaku review...
    In addition to the main story, Isolation comes with an included "survival mode," which tasks players with escaping from a level while accomplishing various tasks, all while racing a timer. I found it to be slight and in most ways indistinguishable from the main game, particularly given that the base game comes with only a single map and a single character: Amanda Ripley. Publisher Sega will be releasing more levels and playable characters in the future as paid DLC, but for now, survival mode doesn't have much to it.

Looks like they've basically shipped a demo of the mode to encourage people to get the DLC when it's released rather than just shipping the mode in its entirety as DLC. With a 16-20 hour campaign though there appears to be plenty of content in the base game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I am liking the look of this game. The reviews are generally positive. The read over at Eurogamer give it an 8/10 and it does read really well.

Also, this game scored the best game at EGX 2014.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-03-egx-2014-game-of-the-show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

BloodBath wrote: »
    The main gripes the poor reviews seem to have is that they died a lot.

Oh noes, a difficult game that doesn't auto save every 30 seconds and doesn't hold your hand throughout.

I'll reserve judgement until I play the game but 5.9 seems to be a joke of a score. If the game was riddled with game breaking bugs and poor mechanics maybe but they showed nothing to justify such a low score.

I agree here, IGN have given it a below par score because it is a difficult game. Dark Souls was a difficult game but it still scored high. Grow up IGN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

This is the last hope for the Alien franchise today. Sounds like they may have nailed it :)

I don't really mind IGN that much like others here but the reviewer, Ryan McCaffrey, is someone that when I hear or see a piece by him I always disagree.

So for me this is actually a positive thing. Debating whether to pick it up at launch. I imagine Amazon is the cheapest hard copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The few reviews I've read seem all over the place. Gamespot gave it 6. IGN even less. However Eurogamer and The Guardian gave it glowing reviews.

I wouldn't really say reviews are all over the place.

Seems to be getting mostly solid reviews.

Edit: Anyone used Gameseek before? It's £38 on that with the Nostromo pack for PS4.

• Advertisement

Pc version is averaging 80% on metacritic at the moment despite IGN's 5.9/10 and gamespots 6/10 dragging it down.

It's all a matter of opinion I guess but my hopes are high for this.

Advertisement