Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think I'll hold fire for a couple of weeks and see what the consensus is among the people who have to pay for their games. There's more than enough in Destiny and Shadows of Mordor to keep me busy in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

IGN wrote:
    And in hindsight, playing on Hard difficulty – which I only did because Isolation actually describes it as “the recommended way to experience the game” – was a terrible decision. It means the Xenomorph can get you anywhere at any time, giving you no opportunity to avoid death, and run you down if it hears so much as a pin drop. Sure, a flamethrower blast or Molotov cocktail can ward it off for a moment, but alien-repelling resources are extremely scarce. Don’t make the same mistake I did.

Don't make the mistake of playing it on hard...........the way the developers want you to play......................because it's hard...........

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

tok9 wrote: »
    I wouldn't really say reviews are all over the place.

Seems to be getting mostly solid reviews.

Edit: Anyone used Gameseek before? It's £38 on that with the Nostromo pack for PS4.

I canceled my amazon order earlier and went with simplygames after reading how their dispatching early, tenner cheaper then amazon, and they dispatched today.. but you have to get your order in before 4pm for same day dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Don't make the mistake of playing it on hard...........the way the developers want you to play......................because it's hard...........

That sums up what I mean really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Duggy747 wrote: »

Perhaps when the Xenomorph catches you he'd like a nice easy quicktime event to scare it off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

sooooo...too early to make jokes about IGN not liking it because it's not COD enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sarky wrote: »
    quicktime event

Also the idea of 'scaring off' a Xenomorph or in anyway overpowering or escaping from one with with your bare hands is balls. I can only imagine some kind of flash-bang grenade as a rare item giving you a once-only chance to get it off you and even then it should also stun you so your vision and hearing are imparied for a while afterwards... and you should be pretty quick to the draw with it via conventional controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Is this not just outlast but with a reskinned man/beast as a Xeno?

In all the footage i've seen it's an upright Xeno.

Also this:
    the idea of 'scaring off' a Xenomorph or in anyway overpowering or escaping from one with with your bare hands is balls

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Jim sterling one of the most outspoken critics of aliens colonial marines gave it a glowing review

watch the video if not in the mood to read: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12346-Alien-Isolation-Review?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Sega, all I have to say to you directly is ... you're forgiven for Aliens: Colonial Marines. You earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Jim sterling one of the most outspoken critics of aliens colonial marines gave it a glowing review

watch the video if not in the mood to read: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12346-Alien-Isolation-Review?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

I think most people who played that game would be one of the most outspoken critics to be honest, it was that bad.

The annoying backtracking that has come up in some reviews is something im worried about, one of the cardinal sins these type of games make is exactly that. Will see how it fares once it's out in the wild.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    I think most people who played that game would be one of the most outspoken critics to be honest, it was that bad.

The annoying backtracking that has come up in some reviews is something im worried about, one of the cardinal sins these type of games make is exactly that. Will see how it fares once it's out in the wild.

I watched the opening 20 or so minutes of it and it looks to be me it has a sort of metroidvania element to it, I saw them passing doors that required specific devices to unlock.

That kind of backtracking doesnt bother me personally as it's something you note first time through and when you get the item you remember where it was.

It's not like Metal Gear Solid's odd keycard backtracking which comes out of the blue near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I watched the opening 20 or so minutes of it and it looks to be me it has a sort of metroidvania element to it, I saw them passing doors that required specific devices to unlock.

That kind of backtracking doesnt bother me personally as it's something you note first time through and when you get the item you remember where it was.

It's not like Metal Gear Solid's odd keycard backtracking which comes out of the blue near the end.

Most of the reviews that a lot of this needless backtracking takes place later in the game and seemingly at important stages of the game. Reviews only tell so much of course so will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

just ordered alien isolation of simply games just there and preordered evil within

will they dispatch Alien tommorow now or on monday?

im guessing monday I know its a late order but dont mind if its a day or two late

anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Smithy2306

Is this game as bad as some reviews have made it out to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Smithy2306 wrote: »
    Is this game as bad as some reviews have made it out to be?
    There have only been two bad reviews from the notable outlets that I've seen. One from IGN, many of whose complaints border on laughable and the other from Polygon where Arthur Gies wrote the review. Gies, you may remember, gave The Last of Us 7.5/10 and aside from that isn't exactly the most highly regarded reviewer out there.

As for opinions here, it's not out till Tuesday so we'll need to wait till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

im looking forward to this for months now, the reviews are generally favourable, but as was stated already i think the guy that wrote the IGN review couldn't play for s**t if he got kill 100's of times as he stated. obviously this rubbing off on his take on final review score. i'm buying regardless. happy enough with reviews so far.

The reviews seem to be falling into two distinct camps

Do you love the alien franchise?

Yes then despite being a bit overlong the game is a glowing pitch perfect tribute to everything that made the first film great with slightly more 2 dimensional characters then the movie. But the alien, setting and mechanics are all spot on.

Do you not love the alien franchise

The campaign is long and tends to repeat itself but the core mechanics all work really well. Oh and it's balls to the wall hard and at times even unfair

Basically none of the reviews have pulled up any issues with the games core design nor any technical issues so if the game's premise already interested you then it sounds like a solid but and your mileage will depend on how much the world appeals to you.

Since I've played just the survivor mode I am already a confirmed buyer on pc cause it was the best thing I played at the expo and the lengthy campaign doesn't sound like something that will bother me.

Also I've seen first hand how quickly one can jump straight back in after dying that honestly it being stupidly hard etc doesn't stick out as something that will bother me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Haven't played any games in a few months, but from what I have seen/read in the past day or two I'm now firmly in the former "Shut Up and take my money" camp above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

I've been anticipating this game for some time now, and I was dismayed when | read the first two reviews I found on youtube;

Game spot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccn3QLdk8ok

and

IGN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc1MwlTwv3E

Both of which gave it mediocre scores.

I sent worried texts to my friends/clan and they told me to read other reviews!

PC Gamer approves;
    http://www.pcgamer.com/alien-isolation-review/

and, as has been mentioned, so does Jim Sterling;
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12346-Alien-Isolation-Review

I cant wait for Yahtzee Croshaws' review. :D

It's a buy for me but 'll be waiting for a GOTY to be 75% off on Steam. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Going to wait and hear some opinions on this first. It seems the main complaints are that the alien deaths can be frustrating and unfair at times which comes from having an unscripted AI approach over set pieces and that trade off sounds well worth it imo. Also the sections not involving the Xeno sound very dull in comparison to the rest of the game but if the rest is as good as some reviews make it out it'll still be well worth a pick up.
    I've been anticipating this game for some time now, and I was dismayed when | read the first two reviews I found on youtube;

Game spot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccn3QLdk8ok

and

IGN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc1MwlTwv3E

Both of which gave it mediocre scores.

I sent worried texts to my friends/clan and they told me to read other reviews!

Do yourself a huge favour and stay well away from anything to do with IGN.

• Advertisement

My order has been dispatched by simply games

Anyone know when that should get in dublin dont order games online my first time

My order has been dispatched by simply games

Anyone know when that should get in dublin dont order games online my first time

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Smithy2306

gizmo wrote: »
    There have only been two bad reviews from the notable outlets that I've seen. One from IGN, many of whose complaints border on laughable and the other from Polygon where Arthur Gies wrote the review. Gies, you may remember, gave The Last of Us 7.5/10 and aside from that isn't exactly the most highly regarded reviewer out there.

As for opinions here, it's not out till Tuesday so we'll need to wait till then.

True. The smaller review outlets seem to be giving better reviews. I think the bigger sites fall to their own hype.

Apparently the game has been pirated already on 360. Saw some user-made videos with descriptions loaded with text to make it higher in google searches.

quick heads up slightly spoiler. Its not story based but it does relate to the game's ending

Guess I'll play on hard from the get go.

So...I dont know why but Sega have decided to break their own street date.

The Steam version can now be played:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/214490/announcements/detail/237887374503183042

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

So...I dont know why but Sega have decided to break their own street date.

The Steam version can now be played:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/214490/announcements/detail/237887374503183042

Yeah, was just working away on my computer and a message popped up from steam saying it was ready to play. That's me sorted for tonight then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Just bought it there, currently awaiting the download :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'm looking forward to this. I was gonna get it on my PS4 ,but I upgraded my gfx card last week and got the game free with the Never Settle bundle...sweet.

• Advertisement

Managed to play a few minutes of it to see how it ran on my rig thanks to a family-shared account of a friend of mine. Didn't get enough time to get to the meat of the gameplay but it performs decently. 80fps average with min drop to 62 and a max of 140 I think it was but then again I haven't seen any of the larger rooms or had anything hectic going on. Might override the in-game AA as it doesn't seem very good.

Can't see a difference between min/max grain film grain whatever that is.

FOV slider in options is backwards and Ripley's body disappeared when I set it to 75... the hell's up with that? :confused: They afraid I'll see boobs or somethin'? Or maybe they didn't properly implement her body model for anything other than 40~FOV :(

Advertisement