Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

In terms of the Alien, watching that video I got the impression that it was invisibly tethered to the player. When the player was in the initial area it roamed around there showing little of no interest in leaving. The player gets through the door, and after 30 seconds the Alien moves through the door as well and then roams around there. When the player leaves there, the Alien follows and hunts in the new area. Never seems to be more then 60 feet away. Is that the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

F*ck it, I didn't need to sleep this week anyway. /buys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sand wrote: »
    In terms of the Alien, watching that video I got the impression that it was invisibly tethered to the player. When the player was in the initial area it roamed around there showing little of no interest in leaving. The player gets through the door, and after 30 seconds the Alien moves through the door as well and then roams around there. When the player leaves there, the Alien follows and hunts in the new area. Never seems to be more then 60 feet away. Is that the case?

Pretty much. It seems the game has 3 states in relation to the alien

the first is as you described, in certain areas it keeps within a certain distance of the player, though it will disappear up into vents etc to give a bit of breathing room. But it'll never go away completely.

this is for areas where the alien is the main focus, such as where I was in my video, it's clearly set up as a intro encounter with the alien and it's pretty unrelenting

the second is the much more open ended encounters, I've come across these a few times and I think the alien is much more loose here, it might not show up at all or it might poke in briefly and then disappear. Or it may just hang around one of the vents like a trap waiting to spring. it's appearance I think is based on either sound or time, not sure, these also tend to be areas where humans will be present.

This seems to be for 2 sort of areas, any of the hub areas where you are moving from mission to mission or when you are trying to solve a puzzle area. it may also extend to none alien focused missions, but I cant confirm that.

For example the above level after you actually get through the first gauntlet with the alien you go into a lever switch puzzle area and I dont if it was I took too long the first time or made too much noise but the alien showed up in the actual lever room, which is pretty sh*tty cause I has little or no cover to hide in. 2nd time through it never showed up until I cleared it and dropped into another area where it's the first state again and then into a final area where it's the 2nd state again but there were humans around that could attract the alien by shooting at you.

3rd state I think are areas where the alien will not show up at all. These are rare but seem pretty obvious, story sequences or hubs for supporting cast but also a few setpieces for humans/synths.
    I found one great one for just practising all the different type of bombs
    Just after synth lab you get a mission to restore power to the transit. The alien will not show up here at all it seems and there is a setpiece where when you call a transit car 4 humans show up with guns you can hide from or you can like me keep reloading the scene and experiment with the pipe bomb, molotov and flashbangs etc

I knew of the 1st state since EGX which showed off survivor mode which is just the 1st state full on all the time. the 2nd state though is the real evil one if you get too relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I just fell for the oldest trick in the book...Great game.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I just fell for the oldest trick in the book...Great game.

Ok, I wasnt crazy during that sequence then. I was convinced the alien was stalking me but I never saw it until I got much further along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Stupid life hurdles getting in my way , seems I wont be able to pick this up till after christmas :,(

Would of made a beautiful halloween game to play at night

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This fúckin' game will be the end of me :pac:

First time I met the Alien:
    heart-attack.jpg?1318992465

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The voice acting is superb too to be honest as well the general acting and direction of the cutscenes. The characters are speaking to each other like actual human beings which is rare in games tbh.

I'm curious to get other player's opinions on this. Reviews I read criticized the voice acting.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Are the cut-scenes in first person too or do you get a more cinematic presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Are the cut-scenes in first person too or do you get a more cinematic presentation?

The cutscenes are cinematic. But they are really choppy. Its like they were rendered on a really old computer.

• Advertisement

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    The cutscenes are cinematic. But they are really choppy. Its like they were rendered on a really old computer.

they're not choppy on my end, but yes cinematic for the big moments, though some sequences play out as first person with the ingame engine.

I've another stupid video inbound cause I thought I'd show Sand the second alien AI pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Seriously hope this arrives tommorow morning simply games dispatched my copy early monday morning my own fault for leaving it so late
    but im dying to get stuck into it now

later in the game but I avoided pretty much all plot points. But it shows a different AI pattern for the alien then what was in my previous video (something I keep trying to explain in the video but get distracted but horrible nasty things)

Well that's 3 hours into the game and I'm trying to
    get to the comms control to hail the ship
    . First impressions are good, very good.

First off, there was a pleasant surprise as it decided it could run on Ultra settings, and then did so without problems, my card is a couple of years old now and reckoned I'd at least have to turn down AA and Vsync, but nope.

Speaking of nope, those androids are f*ckin' terrifying, with their dead waxy rubber faces and LED eyes and their horrible corporate slogans taking on new meaning. The xenomorph hasn't shown up much yet, but caused some serious panic. And, well, anything else that moves is also scary, tbh. Playing it on hard, so maybe enemies aren't quite as scary on other settings.

The hacking minigames are straightforward but entertaining. The AI seems fair, from the 3-4 encounters I've had. The revolver looks gorgeous and chunky, although I haven't dared fire it for fear of someone hearing it. The xenomorph moves really well, they clearly put a lot of work into it. Tonnes of lovely touches as well, like at the start where you find
    the door brace remover in the hands of a corpse, and as you climb through a vent to get to him, you see a shiny goo trail on the walls, and realise just why he's dead.

The sound and music is perfect, nails the atmosphere. The rising panic as you wait for a noisy transit car or a lift to arrive is not helped in any way by the music. The computers and machines occasionally make sounds almost, but not quite, like a xenomorph, the sound of something running around in the vents above your head leads to a mad scramble to find a table to hide under. The visuals are great, and when you get a glimpse of the gas giant Sevastopol is orbiting the scale is magnificent. Don't look too long though because something will probably sneak up behind you and impale you or smash your head against a bulkhead until it bursts like a melon under a monster truck.

I won't be finishing this game any time soon, as I like my heart rate to stay on the lower end of relaxed. But I'll savour it. Like AvP managed to get the feel of Aliens, this really gets the feel of Alien. It's oppressive, desolate, beautiful, and full of nope.

Me, every time I find a new door I can open:

Found an odd bug. There's a part of a level where ripley screams everytime she goes near it automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Kinda curious as to why the Alien doesn't attack the Androids and vica versa. I was under the impression it would kill everything in sight :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Maybe it's not touched upon in the films directly, but the alien knows that it can't impregnate an android and so it just doesn't pay any attention to it. Massive nerd points for the Alien universe coming up :pac: - if you read the script to Aliens (or the film novelisation) there a scene where Bishop is crawling through the conduit to get to the comms tower to remotely call down the backup dropship from the Sulaco. In the scene he describes how a facehugger comes into the pipe, but when it s enses that he is an android rather than try to impregnate him, it just turns around and walks off. Also in the Aliens expanded universe theres lots of precedent of the Alien ignoring androids. Weyland Yutani in one comic book storyline sends a load of android soldiers to the Alien homeworld but thinks don't work out as planned, but that's another story...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Only found out about this game two weeks ago, the hype around it has been remarkably subdued (or maybe I'm just blind). I usually never buy new games as they're expensive as hell, but I bought this on impulse yesterday; it looks incredible. Gamestop were selling the 'Ripley Edition', with two DLCs where you play Ellen herself (and some of the Nostromo crew). Am I right in thinking this version just has the one level of Survival mode?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Now this is sounding like a proper Alien game like I was hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Arciphel wrote: »
    Maybe it's not touched upon in the films directly, but the alien knows that it can't impregnate an android and so it just doesn't pay any attention to it. Massive nerd points for the Alien universe coming up :pac: - if you read the script to Aliens (or the film novelisation) there a scene where Bishop is crawling through the conduit to get to the comms tower to remotely call down the backup dropship from the Sulaco. In the scene he describes how a facehugger comes into the pipe, but when it s enses that he is an android rather than try to impregnate him, it just turns around and walks off.

Remind me again what happened to Bishop at the end of that film ;)

All the rules go out the window when you torch all the queens little babies! :D

chess-queen-takes-bishop-aliens-1316288955p.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sarky wrote: »
    reckoned I'd at least have to turn down AA and Vsync, but nope.

Playing with V-Sync... ever. That stuff causes so much input lag it's unbearable to me. Also, I didn't think v-sync actually caused any performance problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

ktulu123 wrote: »
    The audio & music design are fantastic. Everything is there to simply **** with your head.

Got my self one of these 7.1 surround sound headsets the other week too, makes it even better!

Would love to try it with this headset and an Oculus Rift! Would be something else altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Where are people buying this for PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Where are people buying this for PC?

Kinguin has it at a great price, I'm on my phone so sorry for not providing link

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Julez wrote: »
    Got my self one of these 7.1 surround sound headsets the other week too, makes it even better!

Would love to try it with this headset and an Oculus Rift! Would be something else altogether!

Nice, i've been using my Logitech Z-5500 surround sound & the sound is working wonders at scaring me ****less :P Must try it on the Astro A50's too

My copy of the Nostromo edition for the PS4 just landed in my Parcel Motel locker, ordered from Amazon yesterday :) Going to go collect it, and pick up some Pampers on the way home...

• Advertisement

Christ, I'm at the MedSci section where Blitzkreig shot that first video. First time you have to seriously deal with the xenomorph hunting you, and the tension was good before but it's f*cking skyrocketed here. She's a canny beastie, cottoned on to my hiding in cupboards far more quickly than the synths. Really tense stuff. Those synths are just so damn creepy though, I tried to take one on escaping from the comms center, and they're tough as nails. As well as the unhelpful "Calm down, you're becoming hysterical" comments while they beat the life out of you. I prefer the xenomorph to sneaking around an area patrolled by the Working Joes.

Advertisement