Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Where are people buying this for PC?

http://www.kinguin.net/alien-collection

€28.90 as of writing. Will probably buy it from here if I get to play more on my friends shared library to see if I really like it. Only got a bit past
    the medical area

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Well I spent most of tonight doing another great segment and then what will probably be an infamous segment in the game, a lot of reviews mention it and it was the focus of a lot of criticism
    it's a whole segment where there is guarantee no alien and the focus is on dealing with the synths
    but personally I am actually really enjoying it. It's not as good as the prior segment, but it's not the horrible 3rd act that some reviews describe it as.

Will probably finish the game tomorrow. Feel like I'm quite close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not sure why anyone would complain about the synth, they're at least as terrifying as the Xenomorph. At least the Xenomorph doesn't say "calm down, you're becoming hysterical" in a dead uncanny-valley kind of voice as it tears you to pieces...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Nice one - just arrived today! :)

Looking forward to checking it out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

http://www.kinguin.net/alien-collection

€28.90 as of writing. Will probably buy it from here if I get to play more on my friends shared library to see if I really like it. Only got a bit past
    the medical area

I used cdkeyhouse.com last night with a 2% cupon "DLCOMPARE".
    They had a strange system where a machine called my phone to give me a confirmation number.

Strange but works perfectly.
    $29.39/€23 all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Just met the alien proper for the first time, loving the sense of dread. I probably could have done the first part of the game much quicker but I was waiting for it the whole time.

Also I actually like the safe system because if it used checkpoints I could see situations were you reached a checkpoint at exactly the wrong moment abd die over abd over.

As it is you can save in a panic, not knowing if the xenomorph is right about to drop down behind you. Still, I like the metagaming sort of way it adds to the worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Im still waiting on my order from simplygames.com they said it was dispatched early monday morning

shouldn't it be here by now??

could it come later by ups/dhl or would it be anpost delivering it in the mornings only??

I just wanna play it bad now LOL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Well I spent most of tonight doing another great segment and then what will probably be an infamous segment in the game, a lot of reviews mention it and it was the focus of a lot of criticism
    it's a whole segment where there is guarantee no alien and the focus is on dealing with the synths
    but personally I am actually really enjoying it. It's not as good as the prior segment, but it's not the horrible 3rd act that some reviews describe it as.

Will probably finish the game tomorrow. Feel like I'm quite close.

I take it your playing on pc? what graphical settings are you playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Checked for reviews of this online the other day when i was in Gamestop and they were sold out of Shadow of Mordor. I saw IGN gave it 5.9 out of 10 so dismissed it.

I normally never buy a game based on a good IGN score - because I find they just hype up games, and are obviously sucking up to developers.

However I also tend to disregard a game if IGN score them poorly because I figured it must be really really bad to not get a someway decent score from IGN.

So is this game good? Scanning some recent comments here - it seems it might be.

I had another quick look online and saw that some other game review sites have all reviewed it above 8 out of 10 (or 4 out of 5) but I'm still really sceptical about online reviews these days and don't even know any sites that can be trusted.

Is it worth getting for PS4?

• Advertisement

biggebruv wrote: »
    Im still waiting on my order from simplygames.com they said it was dispatched early monday morning

shouldn't it be here by now??

could it come later by ups/dhl or would it be anpost delivering it in the mornings only??

I just wanna play it bad now LOL

I received my copy today and I'm based in London. So assuming you're in Ireland.. hopefully you'll have it tomorrow.

tok9 wrote: »
    I received my copy today and I'm based in London. So assuming you're in Ireland.. hopefully you'll have it tomorrow.

Did you preorder alien?

I ordered on sat night late i know

But i ordered evil within at the same time still have not got a dispatch email for that yet I wont be to bad waiting on that because il be busy playing the hell out of this LOL

Im guessing evil within wont be here on release day anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well i've added this to the Christmas amazon wish list now after reading some of the reviews and feedback here (it'll be joining Far Cry 4, TLOU Remastered and Shadow of Mordor, Diablo 3)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well i've added this to the Christmas amazon wish list now after reading some of the reviews and feedback here (it'll be joining Far Cry 4, TLOU Remastered and Shadow of Mordor, Diablo 3)

Nice little list of games there to look forward too :D

@littlemac1980

You should really stop listening to IGN or score-based reviews at all. They tell you absolutely nothing about the content of a game. And IGN's review of this game is particularly **** this time around and as usual they can't seem to be able to judge the game without comparing it to CoD mechanics.

I also take back what I said about the game not scaring me. It totally got me last night! I just watched the original movie last night, too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Nice little list of games there to look forward too :D

Will probably only get 2 of them, but sure, that'll do me for a few months anyhow with all the free games I get from subscriptions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

@littlemac1980

You should really stop listening to IGN or score-based reviews at all. They tell you absolutely nothing about the content of a game. And IGN's review of this game is particularly **** this time around and as usual they can't seem to be able to judge the game without comparing it to CoD mechanics.

I also take back what I said about the game not scaring me. It totally got me last night! I just watched the original movie last night, too

Cool - thanks - although I think that my post actually said I don't listen to IGN or other reviews (except when they are scored very poor). But you'd recommend the game so?

Cool - thanks - although I think that my post actually said I don't listen to IGN or other reviews (except when they are scored very poor). But you'd recommend the game so?

But you also said
    However I also tend to disregard a game if IGN score them poorly because I figured it must be really really bad to not get a someway decent score from IGN

So you only really listen to IGN when they score something low... which is rare and honestly only happens to actually good games in my experience.

And yes I'd recommend the game but only if you're into horror or the Alien series. It's not the kind of game I'd recommend to someone who isn't wanting to play it on the hardest mode with the lights off... I just don't think it'd sit well with the average gamer (probably why IGN didn't "get it")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Checked for reviews of this online the other day when i was in Gamestop and they were sold out of Shadow of Mordor. I saw IGN gave it 5.9 out of 10 so dismissed it.

I normally never buy a game based on a good IGN score - because I find they just hype up games, and are obviously sucking up to developers.

However I also tend to disregard a game if IGN score them poorly because I figured it must be really really bad to not get a someway decent score from IGN.

So is this game good? Scanning some recent comments here - it seems it might be.

I had another quick look online and saw that some other game review sites have all reviewed it above 8 out of 10 (or 4 out of 5) but I'm still really sceptical about online reviews these days and don't even know any sites that can be trusted.

Is it worth getting for PS4?

That's one of the reasons I don't put much stock in the big reviewing sites. i prefer to gauge the opinions of normal people playing it, like Blitzkrieg's video

I take it your playing on pc? what graphical settings are you playing at?
    Pretty much ultra across the board

The gfx are gorgeous except for the human models of the extras. The actual characters are ok but anyone just there to die or kill you have crap models

• Advertisement

biggebruv wrote: »
    Did you preorder alien?
    I ordered on sat night late i know

I was the same as you. It was dispatched on Monday.

I was the same as you. It was dispatched on Monday.

i see good to know hopfully il be playing this time tomorrow night:D

ok...

I cant put up any other videos cause from where I am onwards the game has storywise jumped onto a tightrope and I am going to be judging it very cruelly from here on.

Right.. I got to put a few hours into the game tonight, between 2-3.

I'm just going to kick off with the main bad issue - the cutscenes are awful, as in terrible. Some are okay but the majority so far seem really choppy and at times just difficult to watch. I honestly find it a bit straining at times.

Now after that, the game is a bit of a slow burner which I was expecting and I think works fine with this type of game. It pretty much uses this as a whole tutorial.

Now I'm not sure how many are playing on PS4 but the motion tracker and the controller are pretty awesome. Once there is something close by it lets out a beep, then when you pull out the tracker the lightbar starts slowly flashing white,red and blue while it continues to beep. Thought that was really cool.

I'm enjoying the minigames in general and the worry of being spotted.

Atmosphere and sound is excellent.

So far I've only encountered the Alien three times and the second time I wasn't even expecting it. Just walked over to see if I could spot where the android was and next thing I saw saliva right next to me.. I was just thinking.. oh ****!

The final time I was just messing about as I'd gotten to my final save of the night and I noticed on my tracker that something was moving ridiculously fast but never came down so I shot my revolver to see if it'd come down... and it wasn't long before it did :P

Impressions are good so far. I reckon I'm about to get into the core of the game so I'll look forward to that tomorrow.

I'm just going to kick off with the main bad issue - the cutscenes are awful, as in terrible. Some are okay but the majority so far seem really choppy and at times just difficult to watch. I honestly find it a bit straining at times.

Huh, they're silky smooth on my PC. A console shouldn't have any trouble playing them either, there must be some shenanigans afoot there. I wonder what the deal is.

I think i'm in the homestretch, just need to take breaks cause those gaps between save points become increasingly dangerous at this point.

4 hours later.

Nope, I'm not in the home stretch.

Holy f*ck!

If this is not the last part of the game then the difficulty has nowhere left to go cause at the current point I'm fighting tooth and nail to cover distances of metres. You know a game knows it's getting hard when there are 3 save points in the space of 3 rooms.

Sarky wrote: »
    Huh, they're silky smooth on my PC. A console shouldn't have any trouble playing them either, there must be some shenanigans afoot there. I wonder what the deal is.

Ya I reckon you could be right. There was already an 800mb update when I put the disc in.

But believe me... there is something not right. It feels like it's stuttering and it's so difficult to watch properly. I've seen it mentioned in a review or 2 also. Hopefully it'll be fixed because as you say it's surprising that there is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Ya I reckon you could be right. There was already an 800mb update when I put the disc in.

But believe me... there is something not right. It feels like it's stuttering and it's so difficult to watch properly. I've seen it mentioned in a review or 2 also. Hopefully it'll be fixed because as you say it's surprising that there is an issue.

I'm running on PC, Max settings and the game runs smooth all the time except for cut scenes, when it gets choppy, pretty annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yeah, I've noticed that the cut scenes on PS4 are pretty choppy all right. It's a bit off putting. But the game itself is class. I've only just met the alien and of course get creamed as I couldn't find the button to close the door.

Advertisement