Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to edinburgh

• 07-01-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Im hoping to move to Edinburgh in February, I have a friend over there that is going to put me up until I get sorted. But I just wondering about getting a job, am I better off sorting a job before I go over or go over a find one when I get there?

Does anyone have any other tips they can give me?

Thanks!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

hi there

firstly you'll need an national insurance number for paying tax which you can't apply for until you arrive.

then it really depends what kind of work you want to do? by all means if you're moving in 4-8 weeks apply for jobs but include in your application you're currently in Ireland. I'd also advise bringing at least £1500 to keep you going in case it's a long search.

all the best with the job search & move to Edinburgh it's a stunning city I love living here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

For job sites, I've always found S1 Jobs to be a good bet: http://www.s1jobs.com/ but there are loads of agencies that will also have a job bank, or do the searching for you. Reed and Hays are big ones.

Good luck! At least £1500, yeah, Edinburgh is an expensive city and it's February, so may be a little tougher to find work. But if you're after anything at all, there's always something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irishgirl14

ok thank you! why would I need £1500?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

ok thank you! why would I need £1500?

rent mainly I know a friend is helping you in the beginning but you'll need a months rent & the same again for a deposit some places even add £200. also in case of emergency tax & if you start a job & won't get paid until the end of the month you'll need pocket money for food bus fares social life etc

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

Hey

If u decide to move then 1500 is a good figure to bring. U should get something within 3 weeks I'd imagine .
    Rent is expensive and public transport is very expensive but basic living and socializing is very cheap. Good wowcher and groupon deals for cheap socializing
    BTW ni number has nothing to do with tax it is your NHS contributions.
    Make sure to get or tax sorted here as it can be arkward for a new person to the system
    Don't wait for others. To do it for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What line of work are you looking for?
    Bar work is almost always available as is waitressing. Same goes for retail work.
    If it's more office related work, I'd get on the phone to the likes of Hays, Head etc. as you should come across contract work handily enough.

Regarding public transport being expensive, it's not too different from home £1.50 for the bus, but if you do your homework you can get a place within walking distance from town/work.

Flat wise if you're looking to get your own place rightmove.co.uk and citylets.co.uk are good, city lets has flatshares. The ever reliable Gumtree is a good source too. One thing to note is when renting council tax is an additional expense. It can range from £800 to £1500 a year, shared across tenants of the apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

ladiee24 wrote: »
    hi there

firstly you'll need an national insurance number for paying tax which you can't apply for until you arrive.

then it really depends what kind of work you want to do? by all means if you're moving in 4-8 weeks apply for jobs but include in your application you're currently in Ireland. I'd also advise bringing at least £1500 to keep you going in case it's a long search.

all the best with the job search & move to Edinburgh it's a stunning city I love living here!

This is true...however

You can ring the office "jobcentreplus +44 300 200 3502" to arrange the interview to get the NIN in advance over skype. They'll ask for your current address. Give this as your friends in Edinburgh and you can then get an interview. At no point mention that you're not in the UK. Give his phone number as the contact number (unless you already have a UK number).

Also you can order a simard to his house for example from Orange: http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/freesim/details
    Then you can have a real UK number which is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

razorblunt wrote: »
    What line of work are you looking for?
    Bar work is almost always available as is waitressing. Same goes for retail work.
    If it's more office related work, I'd get on the phone to the likes of Hays, Head etc. as you should come across contract work handily enough.

Regarding public transport being expensive, it's not too different from home £1.50 for the bus, but if you do your homework you can get a place within walking distance from town/work.

Flat wise if you're looking to get your own place rightmove.co.uk and citylets.co.uk are good, city lets has flatshares. The ever reliable Gumtree is a good source too. One thing to note is when renting council tax is an additional expense. It can range from £800 to £1500 a year, shared across tenants of the apartment.

Seconding the points on rent and spending money. Edinburgh is quite expensive to live in, though if you're willing to look at less expensive (though supposedly less safer areas) like Leith or Gorgie you can find reasonable rents.

Regarding transport you can buy a Ridacard for Lothian Buses which is cheap enough (£40 for students a month, unlimited journeys) or Edinburgh's small enough that you could buy a cheap bike off Gumtree either.
    Be warned though, traffic here is notoriously bad, car or bike user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Gott wrote: »
    Seconding the points on rent and spending money. Edinburgh is quite expensive to live in, though if you're willing to look at less expensive (though supposedly less safer areas) like Leith or Gorgie you can find reasonable rents.

Regarding transport you can buy a Ridacard for Lothian Buses which is cheap enough (£40 for students a month, unlimited journeys) or Edinburgh's small enough that you could buy a cheap bike off Gumtree either.
    Be warned though, traffic here is notoriously bad, car or bike user.

I always find it amusing that people find any parts of Edinburgh dangerous, it's probably the safest city I've ever lived in, one of the lowest violent crime rates in the whole of Europe and also very low break in rates. Leith and Gorgie are both great areas to live in. The only parts of Edinburgh I'd have reservations about are the north west regions of Granton and Pilton and maybe Sighthill in the south west but 95% of the city is really safe.

I second it about the traffic, the Edinburgh by pass at 8 30 on a weekday has to be seen to be believed.

Oh and OP, seriously don't live near Ferry Road, any sort of commute (by bus, bike or car) along this road will drive you utterly insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I always find it amusing that people find any parts of Edinburgh dangerous, it's probably the safest city I've ever lived in, one of the lowest violent crime rates in the whole of Europe and also very low break in rates. Leith and Gorgie are both great areas to live in. The only parts of Edinburgh I'd have reservations about are the north west regions of Granton and Pilton and maybe Sighthill in the south west but 95% of the city is really safe.

I second it about the traffic, the Edinburgh by pass at 8 30 on a weekday has to be seen to be believed.

Oh and OP, seriously don't live near Ferry Road, any sort of commute (by bus, bike or car) along this road will drive you utterly insane.

I'd be of the polar opposite of that, I've know a handful of people that lived in Gorgie only 1 liked it everyone else left after their initial lease. 3 were broken into, 1 was a non ground floor. I lived in Dalry myself and while it's not the worst there's far nice places to live.
    Sighthill is horrendous though there's no maybe about it.

Ferry Road is ok if you live on the West end where you can use the multiple buses at the Roundabout. But the closer you get to Leith the more of a nightmare it becomes.

• Advertisement

What about niddrie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'd be of the polar opposite of that, I've know a handful of people that lived in Gorgie only 1 liked it everyone else left after their initial lease. 3 were broken into, 1 was a non ground floor. I lived in Dalry myself and while it's not the worst there's far nice places to live.
    Sighthill is horrendous though there's no maybe about it.

Ferry Road is ok if you live on the West end where you can use the multiple buses at the Roundabout. But the closer you get to Leith the more of a nightmare it becomes.

Fair enough, everyone I know who lived in Gorgie got on fine, didn't love it particularly (crappy transport the main gripe) but got on ok. It wouldn't be the prettiest to look at, quite rundown in parts but I've been there day and night and never felt 'unsafe'. As you say there, three people broken into is quite high.

Meh I mean Dalry is fine, there's definately nicer alright though. But if you're on a budget and can't afford Bruntsfield, Marchmount, Tollcross etc. it ain't too bad.

Yeah I've heard Sighthill is bad alright, never been in it myself though so didn't want to tar the place without first hand experience.

Granton though...seriously crappy.
    What about niddrie?

Yeah it used to be pretty crap alright (actually top 3 most deprived areas in Scotland), the whole of Niddrie Mains is has been demolished now though hasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yeah it used to be pretty crap alright (actually top 3 most deprived areas in Scotland), the whole of Niddrie Mains is has been demolished now though hasn't it?

Incidentally, this is now a good place for learner drivers as there's a network of roads with no buildings and virtually no traffic (apart from other L-drivers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

OP if youre looking for direct sales work, give me a PM and I will arrange an interview for you. It would be commission only, but most people are earning between 600-2000GBP per week. Although you will need an NI number for official purposes, it wouldn't be a priority for a start if you're doing direct sales jobs as they are paid straight into your bank account, you would be self-employed and it would be up to you to sort out your tax and NI contributions, just the same as most direct sales jobs here in Ireland.

OP if youre looking for direct sales work, give me a PM and I will arrange an interview for you. It would be commission only, but most people are earning between 600-2000GBP per week. Although you will need an NI number for official purposes, it wouldn't be a priority for a start if you're doing direct sales jobs as they are paid straight into your bank account, you would be self-employed and it would be up to you to sort out your tax and NI contributions, just the same as most direct sales jobs here in Ireland.

Can I ask what you sell?

Im the residential sales manager for Energia in Dublin.

The job I'm talking about in Scotland is knocking on doors and offering boilers, loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. Its free of charge with no cost to the householder, the Government fund it all. You have to love the European climate change fears.

The company director is a personal friend of mine and my two brothers work there. If the opportunity with Energia was not so good, I would return home to Scotland and open an office doing it myself!

Im the residential sales manager for Energia in Dublin.

The job I'm talking about in Scotland is knocking on doors and offering boilers, loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. Its free of charge with no cost to the householder, the Government fund it all. You have to love the European climate change fears.

The company director is a personal friend of mine and my two brothers work there. If the opportunity with Energia was not so good, I would return home to Scotland and open an office doing it myself!

If it's based entirely on government grants how is there commission to be made? I'm always skeptical when someone claims you can make £100k a year going door to door.

If it's based entirely on government grants how is there commission to be made? I'm always skeptical when someone claims you can make £100k a year going door to door.

I dont want to derail the thread, but the Government have a budget because they have targets to meet and they are quite a way off, even with the recent revision of the targets. So the company applied for funding to actually get out in the field and improve insulations etc.

The sales agents get paid a commission for each house they arrange to receive a free boiler or whatever. Its not some scam or anything like that, I would not be involved in it if it was, but even if I was dodgy, I certainly would not be posting from my own personal boards account about it!

There are lots of opportunities to make way more than the average wage, for example if you speak to a housing association then you can sign up a lot of houses in one visit. 2 weeks ago an agent stumbled across a householder who put him in contact with a director of a housing association, 2 days later he had earned just over 11,000GBP! Thats not the norm of course, but its still a reality.

People are often sceptical of direct sales jobs, mainly because there are so many very greedy bosses taking too big a cut. So I understand your scepticism.

Here is a link to my friends company.

http://www.dmsenergysolutions.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/DMSenergysolutionsltd?fref=ts

I want to avoid being banned for what might seem like shilling! I was only trying to offer a headstart for the OP if they hit a brick wall.

Advertisement