Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fisheries officers jobs?

Options
  • 07-01-2014 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just wondering dose any one know will there ever be full time jobs for officers in the country any time soon?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Just wondering dose any one know will there ever be full time jobs for officers in the country any time soon?

According to info online applicants must have a degree in marine biology or environmental science. Also they state a qualification in fisheries managment will help.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fisheries friend

iv have lots of training and a degree in fisheries management but wondering will full time jobs ever come up....all that out there at the mo is temporary contracts...was thinking with the guards starting back up on recruiting maybe the public sector jobs might starting on taking on some new staff

not forgetting the Irish general election take place in 2016 the government will want to stay in power might cause some door to open...heres hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Personally I wouldn't hold my breath on it, temporary contracts suite the agency right down to the ground in that they cover the busiest time of the season and they don't have to pay increments or pay redundancy packages.

Without sounding pessimistic, given our finances, I'd say it could be 5-10 years before full time staff are taken on. Hopefully I 'm wrong on this! I just think that it will be a long time before staff are taken on in agencies like the epa, npws, ifi, sfpa ect
    According to info online applicants must have a degree in marine biology or environmental science. Also they state a qualification in fisheries managment will help.

Hope this helps

Just wondering where you get this info? Most of the FO's have a Cert in fisheries management, I only know a handful who have a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No offence but the state has much higher priorities for public sector empoyment than fisheries officers. Gardai, nurses, teachers etc need their embargo lifted before we employ full time fisheries officers.

• Advertisement

Silent Runner if you stay on after the fisheries management courses you go into environmental to get the degree .....,,,,,wonder if they pass this new bill will they will need more staff to enforce a penalty point system?.....rod license for all and id cards sounds to me. ...help cut down on lads breaking rod r bag limits bye laws.

Well "Srameen" the overall impact of recreational angling is estimated at approximately €755 million. so i think its a high priority.

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press...l-ireland.html

is there a time on when the embargo will be lifted???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well "Srameen" the overall impact of recreational angling is estimated at approximately €755 million. so i think its a high priority.

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press...l-ireland.html

Don't take it out on me! I'm just stating the position as it stands and just trying to be realistic for you. I came from a similar field so I have a bit of an idea how the land lies at present. You think it's a priority. Others think different roles need priority.

The guards are public sector but a different branch of the sector along with the army, navy etc.

It will have no impact on the IFI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

i heard a rumour that it could be next year...
    i did the fisheries management course in sligo a few years ago that a lot of the fisheries board guys did

i heard a rumour that it could be next year...
    i did the fisheries management course in sligo a few years ago that a lot of the fisheries board guys did
    ya i was thinking that something is about to change(might be a year r two tho)...new fisheries bill could be the cause for more staff

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

For anyone who might be interested there are currently two 12 month positions with the loughs agency http://www.loughs-agency.org/careers/ , a full time position in Scotland http://www.asfb.org.uk/vacancies/, and two full time positions with the UK IFCA http://kentandessex-ifca.gov.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152:recruitment-inshore-fisheries-and-conservation-officer&catid=10:newsandpress , http://www.nw-ifca.gov.uk/ContentDetails.aspx . The lather two seem like excellent positions

Also the UK Environment Agency (EA) used to take on Fisheries Enforcement Officers and Fisheries Technical Officers (more survey work) in the past but they've been hit with budget cuts this year. They get there budget in September and they only had 4 positions up this year, where as they would have had between 20-50 positions advertised a few years ago. No harm to keep an eye out with this agency in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

They could do with ten more times the officers they have at the moment, that recent study proved the money been spent on fishing in this country, just like the hunting, angling is completely underrated and the possibility I think of full time jobs coming up is quite strong but there is one problem!

You better be friends and occasionally in contact with the inland fishery board community... Either through angling or some common friendship, the government might have changed but it's the same irish mentality! It's not the best, equipped or appropriate people they recruit for the job but who the people on top pick!

Sad but trust me very very true!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

very very true! not what you know but who you know! make no mistake even if 20-30 positions come up there will be at least that many people all ready employed in the fisheries board just waiting for a full time permanent job. they may not even get advertised externally.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

very very true! not what you know but who you know! make no mistake even if 20-30 positions come up there will be at least that many people all ready employed in the fisheries board just waiting for a full time permanent job. they may not even get advertised externally.

I think by law they have to advertise them... It's a complete joke they will advertise them, interview loads of people and all the time knowing the people are hand picked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If a lad is good enough to be employed on a temporary contract surely he's best positioned to get a fulltime one if it arises?
    This 'not what you know, but who you know' excuse is thrown out every now an then often by people that simply don't have enough of the 'what you know'.

A degree in marine and freshwater biology a degree in marine science experience in salmon and trout research experience in fishery officer with the loughs agency experience in research with nuig i have plenty of 'what you know' in a non arrogant way id say i have more than most people employed in these kinds of jobs and care a hell of a lot more (this includes the EA in uk). A huge part of it comes down to the people hiring taking the easy route and giving the job to the guy who they know rather than 'risking' some one new coming in.

I dont think they have to advertise externally, when i was at the marine institute jobs came up internally first if they had enough candidates they didnt need to advertise externally.

As far as I'm aware, permanent contracts are advertised nationally. I think there are some excellent temps out there who show massive commitment to the fisheries service and do an excellent job. If a permanent post arises I would think they should be in a strong position to fill it.
    I think historically when it was easy to fill positions it was generally decent candidates that got them, but there were times including not that long ago when the standard of candidate IMO was poor. You can see that reflected in the service.
    Some districts were always more proactive than others and certainly had a better handle on getting the right type of Fishery Officer.
    There are a lot of excellent Officers out there, trying to make a difference, but probably not helped by some others that are limited enough.

Bizzum wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, permanent contracts are advertised nationally. I think there are some excellent temps out there who show massive commitment to the fisheries service and do an excellent job. If a permanent post arises I would think they should be in a strong position to fill it.
    I think historically when it was easy to fill positions it was generally decent candidates that got them, but there were times including not that long ago when the standard of candidate IMO was poor. You can see that reflected in the service.
    Some districts were always more proactive than others and certainly had a better handle on getting the right type of Fishery Officer.
    There are a lot of excellent Officers out there, trying to make a difference, but probably not helped by some others that are limited enough.

Im sure there are many excellent fisheries officers out there. But i know from chatting to a some of them again this goes for the loughs agency and EA that some guys dont have the correct scientific background to be doing some of the work. Some dont really care about the protection work either

• Advertisement

Im sure there are many excellent fisheries officers out there. But i know from chatting to a some of them again this goes for the loughs agency and EA that some guys dont have the correct scientific background to be doing some of the work. Some dont really care about the protection work either

I know little about the Loughs Agency, but the scientific wing of IFI I would regard as world class. There are many of them there in Swords that really are at the top of their game.
    The some that don't care about protection work may not work in protection?

A degree in marine and freshwater biology a degree in marine science experience in salmon and trout research experience in fishery officer with the loughs agency experience in research with nuig i have plenty of 'what you know' in a non arrogant way id say i have more than most people employed in these kinds of jobs and care a hell of a lot more (this includes the EA in uk). A huge part of it comes down to the people hiring taking the easy route and giving the job to the guy who they know rather than 'risking' some one new coming in.

I dont think they have to advertise externally, when i was at the marine institute jobs came up internally first if they had enough candidates they didnt need to advertise externally.

With all of your qualifications would you not apply for a position in the UK?? Far more opportunities for a man like yourself , in my humble opinion.

Very few jobs. applied for a full time permanent job in scotland. matched every criteria and more didnt even get an interview. had an interview for the EA in uk had way more experience than was required, didnt get job found out a girl all ready employed side stepped into it for then has side stepped again since, its nearly impossible to get in anywhere.

Very few jobs. applied for a full time permanent job in scotland. matched every criteria and more didnt even get an interview. had an interview for the EA in uk had way more experience than was required, didnt get job found out a girl all ready employed side stepped into it for then has side stepped again since, its nearly impossible to get in anywhere.

I think that's just about it. It's shocking hard to get the foot in the door so to speak. It's the same here. There seems to be a perception here that fisheries staff are somewhat lacking in academic qualifications. I know fisheries officers qualified to degree, masters and docterate levels!

Bizzum wrote: »

I agree with you there... lots of top temp staff in the fisheries and I would agree that would get 1st chose if full time came up....after all they're the ones working the short contracts for few years and have a better knowledge on the field to deal with poaching.....you can't learn how to deal with a angry or drunk angler that is poaching in college...the temp lads work beside the old school officer's that knows the people in the area and were the hot spots are and when they will be hit...that knowledge that older officers has is priceless and these temp's have some of this knowledge already....so really why wouldn't the get 1st choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

I agree with you there... lots of top temp staff in the fisheries and I would agree that would get 1st chose if full time came up....after all they're the ones working the short contracts for few years and have a better knowledge on the field to deal with poaching.....you can't learn how to deal with a angry or drunk angler that is poaching in college...the temp lads work beside the old school officer's that knows the people in the area and were the hot spots are and when they will be hit...that knowledge that older officers has is priceless and these temp's have some of this knowledge already....so really why wouldn't the get 1st choice :)

Definitely. Practical on the bank experience should always win out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I know this is an old thread but just in case anyone is interested, IFI are forming a panel for the 7 districts for permanent fishery officers. Everyone selects 2 districts of preference and will be ranked in accordance with their score from the interview. The panel will last 24 months and if somebody is offered a position in their region which they don't accept, they are dropped from the panel and so it goes to the next person and so on. It is open to the public and should be up on their website shortly. Hopefully things are starting to change

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Advertisement