Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sochi Olympic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Balls anyways. If he pulled off that last one.....
    Ah well he'll be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Remember boys and girls he is 16!! Yep 16 in 4 years times he will have learned the lessons of Sochi and developed on the upside with the current runs it looks like he needed to go big and land that trick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Fattes wrote: »
    Remember boys and girls he is 16!! Yep 16 in 4 years times he will have learned the lessons of Sochi and developed on the upside with the current runs it looks like he needed to go big and land that trick

Remember if he gets good he will join the American team, I cannot understand how people get so patriotic over an American with an English father and a Russian mother who has never stepped foot in Ireland? ? And it's not just the Irish, every country does this, what's the point? I would have more respect for someone who trained and honed there skills in a country representing that country even if they did not have a half Irish granny.

Quote seamus o'connor
    “With the US team, it was not possible to make the Olympics. There are at least 20 really talented snowboarders but only four can get picked.

“The likelihood of me being one of those four isn’t good. My dad brought up the idea of representing Ireland and I thought it would be a privilege to ride under the Irish flag."

Does anyone believe this guy will continue to represent ireland if his talent grows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Can you change that easily, once you've represented in the Olympics once ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

robinph wrote: »
    Even cross country skiing can be exciting. One guy who was spent after the first corner due to having knackered himself in a long distance race the day before, then finds three guys infront of him crash on the same corner and he then makes it through to get a bronze in the sprint.
    radiata wrote: »
    Very exciting race alright, I always find the Winter olympics more exciting than the Summer ones.
    Halfpipe semi on at 3pm with Seamus O'Connor 3rd up

Have to agree, the cross country sprint skiing this morning was amazing. I like the summer olympics and all but its nothing compared to the winter olympics, been great so far.

• Advertisement

stackerman wrote: »
    Can you change that easily, once you've represented in the Olympics once ??

Yep, if he wants to represent Britain or Russia he could have to water up to 3 years unless the commissions agree to wave it but there would be not time to wait to represent his native country the U.S.A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Ayumu Hirano to beat Shawn White in the halfpipe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gallag wrote: »
    Does anyone believe this guy will continue to represent ireland if his talent grows?
    Probably, if he gets good enough to represent team Red Bull or whoever it is that throws money at the boarders at the time then it hardly matters what colour flag he walks beneath once every four years so why change back to the US. All he needs funding wise from Ireland is a new green jacket to wear each time.

There was a guy in the short track speed skating this morning who was the previous Olympic champion for Korea(?), but has now changed his name to Victor and was representing Russia instead. I don't think he switched allegiances in order to get the Olympic place though, at least they were not talking in those terms in the commentary and they don't tend to be shy of saying when someone is doing things like that normally.

Remember if he gets good he will join the American team, I cannot understand how people get so patriotic over an American with an English father and a Russian mother who has never stepped foot in Ireland? ? And it's not just the Irish, every country does this, what's the point? I would have more respect for someone who trained and honed there skills in a country representing that country even if they did not have a half Irish granny.

Quote seamus o'connor
    “With the US team, it was not possible to make the Olympics. There are at least 20 really talented snowboarders but only four can get picked.

“The likelihood of me being one of those four isn’t good. My dad brought up the idea of representing Ireland and I thought it would be a privilege to ride under the Irish flag."

Your ignorance is astounding he has actually been here quite a bit especially in the past two years

He has even offered to run some training on the plastic for our freestyle kids after the Olympics!! He is a super nice guy and very passionate and good at what he does

Can he change, not to the US they have strict rules unless he is as good as Shawn White then they might think about it

As for the Russians they probably won't take him back

So in summary you are an ignorant troll spouting rubbish that is not true and he will probably represent Ireland in 4 years in Korea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Tina Weirather's out of tomorrow's downhill. Ouch!! Still hoping to compete in Super G on Saturday, but she has a tibial injury- doesn't sound good. Must be devastating for her, she was looking so good to take a medal...

• Advertisement

Your ignorance is astounding he has actually been here quite a bit especially in the past two years

He has even offered to run some training on the plastic for our freestyle kids after the Olympics!! He is a super nice guy and very passionate and good at what he does

Can he change, not to the US they have strict rules unless he is as good as Shawn White then they might think about it

As for the Russians they probably won't take him back

So in summary you are an ignorant troll spouting rubbish that is not true and he will probably represent Ireland in 4 years in Korea

What an ignorant post! He only set foot in Ireland after deciding he could not represent the USA, I suppose he needed to sign papers etc, why so hostile? Am not going to report your post but would appreciate you retracting the troll accusation!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Silly boy a little inexperience! With thee pipe and conditions he could have put down a little less spectacular run and got enough to qualify!!

Our best French chance did the same mistake :rolleyes:...
    tunguska wrote: »
    Have to agree, the cross country sprint skiing this morning was amazing. I like the summer olympics and all but its nothing compared to the winter olympics, been great so far.

Yeah. Biathlon is also very telegenic and quite exciting to follow. Though I may be biased since it's a small (very few members) big (quite a lot of support) sport in France. Having Martin Fourcade as standard bearer helps though ;)

What an ignorant post! He only set foot in Ireland after deciding he could not represent the USA, I suppose he needed to sign papers etc, why so hostile? Am not going to report your post but would appreciate you retracting the troll accusation!

UNEDUCATED TROLL

The hostility comes from you making statements about an athlete that are both untrue and way off the mark about an athlete that is doing a good job of representing Ireland and helping to develop home grown boarded

Again way off he had been to Ireland plenty before deciding to represent us report it all you like mine contains factual statements that can be supported yours does not.

He will most likely be back here before the end of the season or early next year to work with our freestyles an offer he made without request

He is actually quite good to a number of our home grown boarders with advice and support too

Again I have meet him, I am assuming from your post you have not

iroced wrote: »

Yeah. Biathlon is also very telegenic and quite exciting to follow. Though I may be biased since it's a small (very few members) big (quite a lot of support) sport in France. Having Martin Fourcade as standard bearer helps though ;)

I love Biathlon a purer form of sport requiring so much from an athlete is hard to find!!

That mogul skier you poached from
    England Cavet is quite tidy!!! Good shout for 4 years time

In my defence after seeing what came after him I retracted it two posts later

The coaches appealed to the IOC to postpone the pipe by 3 days yesterday as it is in really bad shape after rain and a range of temp changes this week!

But I guess the conditions are tough for all athletes and the cream rises to the top

UNEDUCATED TROLL

The hostility comes from you making statements about an athlete that are both untrue and way off the mark about an athlete that is doing a good job of representing Ireland and helping to develop home grown boarded

Again way off he had been to Ireland plenty before deciding to represent us report it all you like mine contains factual statements that can be supported yours does not.

He will most likely be back here before the end of the season or early next year to work with our freestyles an offer he made without request

He is actually quite good to a number of our home grown boarders with advice and support too

Again I have meet him, I am assuming from your post you have not

You really can't accept that some people are of the opinion that the representation rules are a joke? An American with a English father and Russian mother who honed his skills in America representing Ireland is crazy to me, same as that irish cricketer that played for England, and not just ireland, the amount of countries felding competitors who have nothing to do with the country other than the blood line of a distant relation is crazy and makes a mockery of the country vs country dynamic, I believe for example where you learned your skill, the country that put the program in place for your benefit is more important than a distant blood line.

There is no need for your attitude, it's not a radical new point I am making.

You really can't accept that some people are of the opinion that the representation rules are a joke? An American with a English father and Russian mother who honed his skills in America representing Ireland is crazy to me, same as that irish cricketer that played for England, and not just ireland, the amount of countries felding competitors who have nothing to do with the country other than the blood line of a distant relation is crazy and makes a mockery of the country vs country dynamic, I believe for example where you learned your skill, the country that put the program in place for your benefit is more important than a distant blood line.

There is no need for your attitude, it's not a radical new point I am making.

So should paul McGrath never have represented Ireland or Ronan I Garda?? That's the logic you are applying here?
    Your opinion on the rules are yours and you are free to hold them some of the stuff you posted was about him visiting here etc was not correct or accurate and a personal attack on him.

One of the Swiss snowboarders was born in Russia and only qualifies as he has Swiss residency the rules are the same for every nation

I have an issue with you casting assertions in his character and making statements that have no foundation.

The young lad is doing his best to support some of out home grown talent, swing bye the freestyle night at the ski club if Ireland any Friday and ask about him. You will not find one negative reaction and you will find nearly every boarder that has asked him for advice has got it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wow bad round for Shaun White!

This is insane

Holy s*@t!!! What were the odds on White not getting a medal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

2 Japanese medalists look like they would rather be anywhere but there.

2 Japanese medalists look like they would rather be anywhere but there.

Probably shock!!!

Now women's ski jumping

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Probably shock!!!

15 and 17 aren't they?

So should paul McGrath never have represented Ireland or Ronan I Garda?? That's the logic you are applying here?
    Your opinion on the rules are yours and you are free to hold them some of the stuff you posted was about him visiting here etc was not correct or accurate and a personal attack on him.

One of the Swiss snowboarders was born in Russia and only qualifies as he has Swiss residency the rules are the same for every nation

I have an issue with you casting assertions in his character and making statements that have no foundation.

The young lad is doing his best to support some of out home grown talent, swing bye the freestyle night at the ski club if Ireland any Friday and ask about him. You will not find one negative reaction and you will find nearly every boarder that has asked him for advice has got it

I never cast any assertions on his character, what I said is true, he first came to Ireland after exhausting other options, this is simple fact, I can see the benefit of this arrangement if he does hang around and help promote talent and hopefully he is successful at it.

I never cast any assertions on his character, what I said is true, he first came to Ireland after exhausting other options, this is simple fact, I can see the benefit of this arrangement if he does hang around and help promote talent and hopefully he is successful at it.

He has visited Ireland on multiple occasions as a much younger person, some if the media reporting had been way off especially at the BBC!

He first decided to compete for Ireland at 14, he probably could have waited to see if he got a ticket to 2018 on the US team but made a choice to come compete under an Irish flag knowing that he was probably removing any chance of ever getting a slot on the us team

You are speaking without any knowledge or grasp of what goes on or knowledge of the athlete! Again I will ask the question have you meet him or spoke to him? Do you think Ronan o Gara should not be allowed to play for Ireland he was born in the USA! I have and he is a very different character to the one the BBC have portrayed

The French have an English born athlete competing in moguls. Switzerland a gold in half pipe Tonight was own bye a Russian born athlete!

Get in the BBC now to see the interview with pat Sharples and Katie summerhayes

Summerhayes was good but he landing were messy. Dara Howell was much cleaner

Summerhayes was good but he landing were messy. Dara Howell was much cleaner

Here result was probably fair for the run, the judges are being so punishing in relation to being clean. The man main Dion is a stickler for clean tricks!!

• Advertisement

Now women's ski jumping

And the Japanese favourite choked :eek:!

"Good" for our young French with her bronze medal. She made the history books today since it was the first ever appearance of the sport in the Winter Olympics.
    Have to say I'm sure she'd be a tad disappointed when she'll see her jump again. She has the advantage of a better telemark landing technique than most her rivals and had she gone 1m longer she'd got the gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

anyone in Ireland wanting a bit of action after watching Sochi?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1795782_10152265661037813_1561768804_n.jpg

im there tomorrow if that stays!

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    anyone in Ireland wanting a bit of action after watching Sochi?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1795782_10152265661037813_1561768804_n.jpg

im there tomorrow if that stays!

Unless you have fresh top up tonight it will be all icy tomorrow and worn out in the middle so get up their now!!

Unless you have fresh top up tonight it will be all icy tomorrow and worn out in the middle so get up their now!!

id be there but it closes at 10:30 and take me 2 hours to get there :(

Sadly it does not last long but if it keeps going they will open in the am!!

I suppose I have this to keep me going

Here result was probably fair for the run, the judges are being so punishing in relation to being clean. The man main Dion is a stickler for clean tricks!!

I'm no winter sports expert. But I do prefer to see clean, smooth landings as apposed to athletes trying to get in another move and landing awkwardly.

• Advertisement

Sadly it does not last long but if it keeps going they will open in the am!!

I suppose I have this to keep me going

if they open in the AM im there!

nice views! hopefully if it snows ill be looking at similar in 3 weeks time :)
    enjoy

I'm no winter sports expert. But I do prefer to see clean, smooth landings as apposed to athletes trying to get in another move and landing awkwardly.

I am with you! There was a period where future spins were all in!! Basically this Olympics they have moved back to clean technical tricks rather than excessive spins

I believe for example where you learned your skill, the country that put the program in place for your benefit is more important than a distant blood line.

Hmmm, would be a bit hard to find somewhere in Ireland to learn your skill in Snowboarding:rolleyes:

Women's downhill off to a cracking start, Mancuso out of the running top3 deprecated by tenths of a second.

One of our local girls from here on too of the podium so far!! Gut, Fenniger and reisch still to run

Two girls on equal times for first place, they could be giving out two gold medals today!!!

• Advertisement

Amazing, absolutely amazing dead heat for first between local girl here Dominique Gisin and Tina Maze!!! Lara Gut in 3rd
    Between a gold medal and fresh snow today will be interesting in the village

A pretty bad fall for one of the ladies today hopefully nothing to serious but did not look or sound good hopefully she is ok

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MOD:

Regarding posts from a couple of pages back, can everyone stop throwing abusive comments around at each other. Attack the post, not the poster.

If you can't behave, there will be bans handed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Women's snowboard half pipe qualifiers on the bbc red button now

jvan wrote: »
    Women's snowboard half pipe qualifiers on the bbc red button now

Ya? All I can get is curling on both

Ya? All I can get is curling on both

Well the Russian women's skip has helped generate some interest!!

Well the Russian women's skip has helped generate some interest!!

Woahh!!
    Well they aint showing her curling, they obviously have GB on! Am I the only one who has a problem with the red button on BBC or is Curling also on the red button for other people too. It's been fine all week for me but no other options now.
    I'd prefer to see the womens halfpipe

A pretty bad fall for one of the ladies today hopefully nothing to serious but did not look or sound good hopefully she is ok

Marie Marchand-Arvier looks OK. She has one sore calf but should be fine for the Super G. Confidence is pretty low though.

--

Frenzel & Watabe got a decent lead in the nordic combined after the ski-jumping. Will be very tough for Jason Lamy-Chappuis to retain his gold medal this afternoon.

--

Our French representative Sophie Rodriguez qualified directly for the half-pipe final. That's a good news after the men's disappointment.

--

Can't wait for the start of the men ice-hockey tournament tonight!

-- edit --
    Am I the only one who has a problem with the red button on BBC or is Curling also on the red button for other people too. It's been fine all week for me but no other options now.

Obviously have no idea how BBC is broadcasting the Winter Olympics but don't you have the "choice" on their online website?

That's what the French TV is doing for a couple of Olympics now and it's absolutely great. You have no commentary but get to see what you want live and in full. Great to follow the women ice hockey this morning :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Looking forward to ice hockey today. ;)

Marie Marchand-Arvier looks OK. She has one sore calf but should be fine for the Super G. Confidence is pretty low though

I was referring to the crash of Alexandra Coletti from
    Monaco looked and sounded horrific and she was helicopters off! Her shrieks of pain were uncomfortable to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just listening to the commentary and they're saying it's 12c. Is it usually that warm around there. If I remember correctly Vancouver had similar issues with bad snow conditions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement